Another MT-82 goes bust at 4k miles

RSKtakR

Reaction score
I was one with this issue. They replaced my tranny do to me and said it was easier also cause the parts for the tranny are harder to get then a new tranny. They said that a synchro did go out. Mine did same thing as yours as well. Would kick out and would only go in with some nasty grinding. Mine did finally start going in fifth and staying in it but still with nasty grinding. Mine would grind sitting still trying to go into fifth.

My dealer was cool with mods i had. Servcie manager has a gt500 that has work and agreed with minor stuff i have done shouldnt have went out already. If you can take back to stock though to avoid any issues.

who is your dealer??

r.barn

forum member
Reaction score
Ford has come out with a Service Bulletin for the grinding now that entails switching trans fluid.

I would not put a TR-6060 in there. They are riddled with problems and not very strong. The T-56 magnum is the beefed up version of the 6060 and is a MUCH better transmission. There are a ton of internal differences.

My MT82 is a bit notchy but doing ok so far, I'm really thinking of trying the T-56 upgrade if it goes out.

With the .5 overdrive of the T-56 I would not be surprised if we could get 30-32+ mpg at 65mph even with 3.55 or 3.73 gears.

Last edited:

RSKtakR

Reaction score
Ford has come out with a Service Bulletin for the grinding now that entails switching trans fluid.

I would not put a TR-6060 in there. They are riddled with problems and not very strong. The T-56 magnum is the beefed up version of the 6060 and is a MUCH better transmission. There are a ton of internal differences.

My MT82 is a bit notchy but doing ok so far, I'm really thinking of trying the T-56 upgrade if it goes out.

With the .5 overdrive of the T-56 I would not be surprised if we could get 30-32+ mpg at 65mph even with 3.55 or 3.73 gears.

switching to the thinner fluid will make any whining that is allready there louder.. and the new fluid wont help the issue's that this trans has.. MY trans whines from 1st -4th, like a twin screw is under the hood, grinds on the up and the down shift to 5th, also grinds sometimes going into 6th.. the trans is notchy and clunks around like you wouldnt believe.. allready had the entire clutch assembly replaced.. goes in for the trans next week.

r.barn

forum member
Reaction score
switching to the thinner fluid will make any whining that is allready there louder.. and the new fluid wont help the issue's that this trans has.. MY trans whines from 1st -4th, like a twin screw is under the hood, grinds on the up and the down shift to 5th, also grinds sometimes going into 6th.. the trans is notchy and clunks around like you wouldnt believe.. allready had the entire clutch assembly replaced.. goes in for the trans next week.

I agree, and the Service Bulletin I saw posted on another forum said to replace trans fluid with what owners book says is already in there to replace the fluid everyone says should be in there ...........

MT82 has been used for years in other applications, so I think it is more to it than the fluid used too. I think there is something in that goofy shifter linkage setup causing issues too.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
I agree, and the Service Bulletin I saw posted on another forum said to replace trans fluid with what owners book says is already in there to replace the fluid everyone says should be in there ...........

MT82 has been used for years in other applications, so I think it is more to it than the fluid used too. I think there is something in that goofy shifter linkage setup causing issues too.

same problem as the T5.. when to much torque is applied parts start to fail.. HOWEVER in this case we get a trans that is only rated for 369lb-ft of torque and I know my car is makeing 385lb-ft stock, so its under rated from the factory before it even has any miles on it as is which doesnt help.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
r.barn is right. The TR6060 is just as problem riddled. I had one, so trust me. I don't want another one. So far my MT82 has been great.

COYO TT

Stangless
Reaction score
r.barn is right. The TR6060 is just as problem riddled. I had one, so trust me. I don't want another one. So far my MT82 has been great.

Its a ticking time bomb, I never had any issues clutch or tranny, then one day it was gone. Give it time, its record speaks for itself.

Blownblu03

forum member
Reaction score
I was told by the dealer that when my 2012 arrives next month, before I take delivery the fluid will be changed as per a TSB. I told him the tranny is junk and fluid is just sugarcoating a pile of poop

jmatero

Reaction score
Hello fellow 2011 Mustang Manual Transmission Owners

When I purchased my car in September last year, I was unaware of how extremely passionate Mustang owners were about their rides. As so many of us are having clutch and transmission issues (to varying degrees) I've tried to keep us all in the loop with regard to Ford's effort to find solutions. The volume of emails, PM's, and posts to various websites has now become so overwhelming that it is impossible for me to answer each individually. The most robust and informative conversation going on right now is at allfordmustangs.com. It should be noted that Deysha, a Ford Customer Care Representative, monitors and posts updates there regularly and is intimately familiar with the problems we're all experiencing. I encourage you to remain active in the Mustang forum(s) of your choice, but with regard to this particular issue, I strongly advise you follow the sticky thread at allfordmustangs.com: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-talk/268693-official-2011-mustang-manual-transmission-rough-shifting-thread.html#post2318076

I thought I'd quickly summarize the symptoms, current fixes available, what we know so far, and how best to ensure your car is fixed

SYMPTOMS:
1. Clutch pedal sticks to the floor when fully depressed (Generally, cars built before May 2010)
2. Clutch engagement no longer progressive... more "on/off"... with very little pedal travel causing bucking/jerky launches.
3. Difficult to shift in temperatures below 35 degrees F.
4. Grinding when shifting (1-2 and 2-3 reported most) until car is fully warmed up.
5. Grinding when shifting (1-2 and 2-3 reported most) all the time.
6. Inability to engage gears with clutch pedal fully depressed (non related to skip-shift)

CORRESPONDING SOLUTIONS:
1. Ford will install an updated pedal assembly that solves the problem.
2. No fix for 2011, but it should be noted that 2012 Mustangs have revised clutch assemblies.
3. Ford will change your transmission fluid. (Many owners report success, some report gear whine)
4. Ford may change your transmission fluid. (Some owners report success, some report gear whine)
5. Ford may change your transmission fluid. (Few owners report success, some report gear whine)
6. Ford may replace your clutch assembly and install updated pressure plate bolts.

WHAT WE KNOW:
As most of you already know, if your problems continue after having these applied, there is no other fix as of 03/23/2011.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?
1. Call Customer Care, report your problems, get a case number, ask that they arrange for your dealer to evaluate the car, and be sure to ask for free rental.
2. When you drop the car off, be sure a REPAIR ORDER is filled out and that the symptoms are documented to the tee. Drive the car with a service advisor.
3. If you feel your issues are severe enough that they constitute a safety risk, MAKE SURE THAT IS VISIBLE ON THE REPAIR ORDER.
4. Be prepared for "UNABLE TO REPRODUCE" on the invoice.
5. If your car is not repaired, contact your Customer Care Rep and insist your vehicle be examined by a FSE (engineer). Insist you would like to be present when he/she comes to evaluate your car. Also insist that your Service Manager accompany you. You should all drive both your car and another new one on the lot for comparison.
6. Make it crystal clear to the engineer, the customer care rep, and both your service and sales managers that YOU ARE UNHAPPY WITH YOUR MUSTANG. If you believe your problems pose a safety risk, also make that clear to all parties.
7. Keep all of your Repair Orders and Invoices.

WHAT IF THAT DOESN'T WORK?
1. If your problems are minor, you could simply wait to see if Ford comes up with other fixes. Enjoy your Mustang!!!
2. My personal Customer Care Rep told me Ford is working on a revised clutch assembly for 2011's that should solve the shifting/clutch engagement issues. It should be noted that no other source has been able to confirm this.
3. If you believe your problems pose a safety risk, do not hesitate to report the issue to the NHTSA here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
4. If you are unable to resolve your issues with the Dealer and Customer Care, contact Ford Customer Relations in Michigan. You can request a buy-back or vehicle replacement. Be prepared to receive a letter in 5 days denying your request stating that it does not qualify under your state's lemon law. THIS IS A FORM LETTER AND DO NOT ASSUME THIS IS ACCURATE. Your Customer Care Rep will call and should provide detailed information as to why your car is not being replaced. Be sure to post here if the reason given is "There is a fix coming". If you are told there is a fix coming, demand details.

I hope this is helpful

John

RSKtakR

Reaction score
took the car in this past Tuesday morning and dropped it off, just got a call from the Ford Customer Care rep. Said the trans is comming out tomorrow, and an Engineer from Ford will be out, all the service manager said was that there is a syncro issue for 5th and 6th gears, nothing was said about the whining in gears 1-4 yet though.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
Hey Blackg37coupe, do you have any updates or news on your car? I got an update today, and Ford customer care is suppose to call me back tomorrow before 5pm and give me an update.. once I hear from them I will post back here and let you know what they find and wtf they are going todo about it.

assasinator

1000hp turbo 4v
Reaction score
Actually the syncro assembly also keeps it in gear

the synchro has blocking rings that sync the shaft speeds. the small detentes in the synchro has no more holding power than a few pounds. its the meshing of the gears the hold it mostly. for it to jump out of a gear the teeth have to be missing or chipped and can't hold it in gear.

OP you have chipped and/or broken teeth on the affected gears.

defective blocking rings are the likely culprit, or over hardened gearsets. the little grinding it does when cold WILL lead to this. its a lot of bad transmissions that have nothing to do with first model run. its a QA issue.

my transmission will eventually fail the same way. it grinds third and sixth.

you pay china 2.00/hr and non-union, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
same problem as the T5.. when to much torque is applied parts start to fail.. HOWEVER in this case we get a trans that is only rated for 369lb-ft of torque and I know my car is makeing 385lb-ft stock, so its under rated from the factory before it even has any miles on it as is which doesnt help.

I love seeing these posts. Please don't tell my or lethal's transmission that he is only rated for 369#'s.

I'm sorry if you are having problems with your car, but the transmissions are pretty damn strong. Much stronger than the 3650 and are the best manual transmission ford has ever used.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
I love seeing these posts. Please don't tell my or lethal's transmission that he is only rated for 369#'s.

I'm sorry if you are having problems with your car, but the transmissions are pretty damn strong. Much stronger than the 3650 and are the best manual transmission ford has ever used.

hey I agree!!.. i know they will have thier problem tranny's though especially since this is the first run in this car.. just seems like there are more problem tranny's then good ones right now.. Im happy that there are some of these that are holding up to MONSTER hp and torque numbers.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back