Another new car road racer build

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
is it possible to fab up an electric power steering pump. Free up some HP in place of a pulley.

anything is possible but seriously how much hp do you think a ps pump is giving up in the big picture of things? certainly not enough to start fooling around with the steering of a race car on a race track.

Many Current vehicles come with electric steering we looked around at taking one from a salvage vehicle but ended up staying with what we had.

If we could run down to a local salvage yard and grab one from a wrecked 2011 mustang we would consider it . Then you bump into calibration of the rack for the tires and it just is not worth it for our situation.

Our situation is that the class this car is running in has a rule of 9.5 to 1 on hp. giving this car is going to be say 3500 with driver and ready to race put us at 368rwhp. just about perfect for a bone stock 5.0

so we will have a bone stock motor that makes power to 7000 rpm. can't do that with a 3v lol

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
any update on this thing steve?

A few more things are done but things are slow as the coyote motor has caused me to have to make a few things and a lot of the progress is small things you really can't see in pictures . Here are a few photos. cooling sytem is in, fire system is in, shifter boot is done and the fuel and exhaust system are done. suspension is going in this weekend and it will be on the ground soon.

393255098.jpg

393255099.jpg

393255100.jpg

393255101.jpg

393255102.jpg

393255187.jpg

plated

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
looks better in person:damnit: gotta give it to you.you do awsome work steve,to see the car after paint go together the way you have it really is impressive you have a damn good eye and good taste and build some bad ass race cars.i'm coming over to hear the motor when you get it running so call me on start night i'll be over,keep up the good work

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks chris, it's running now so anytime....

Steve:

How are you dealing with the return-style fuel system of the 5.0?

I can only assume your talking about how the ford racing system requires a return line system to work ?

If so what I did was mount a regulator on the firewall "see 1st pic" I converted the factory supply fuel line to an in the drivers fenderwell. Converted the factory fuel rail to an as well. My factory fuel line feeds into the regulator and from the regulator to the engine and then I ran a an line from the regulator back to the tank for the return . Drilled a hole in the fuel pump hat and mounted a an bulkhead in it to tie it all in. Fuel is supplied through the factory pump and line I just by-passed the varible fuel module so key on and it's pumping.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
Thanks chris, it's running now so anytime....

I can only assume your talking about how the ford racing system requires a return line system to work ?

If so what I did was mount a regulator on the firewall "see 1st pic" I converted the factory supply fuel line to an in the drivers fenderwell. Converted the factory fuel rail to an as well. My factory fuel line feeds into the regulator and from the regulator to the engine and then I ran a an line from the regulator back to the tank for the return . Drilled a hole in the fuel pump hat and mounted a an bulkhead in it to tie it all in. Fuel is supplied through the factory pump and line I just by-passed the varible fuel module so key on and it's pumping.

Yep, that's what I meant. Thanks for the insight.

05SonicGT

forum member
Reaction score
in post 43 - 3rd photo from bottom- is the red lever ,mounted in the driver side vent, a brake proportioning valve or something else ?

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
battery kill, just have not finished the install.Making alternator wire for it still .

It will be in the vent. class rules.. have to be able to kill all power .

in post 43 - 3rd photo from bottom- is the red lever ,mounted in the driver side vent, a brake proportioning valve or something else ?

Towelly

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry if I missed this. You running the factory computer or a stand alone? With it all apart like this it can't be much harder to add Motec or BS3.

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We have suspension. should be on the ground running by Sunday evening.

393447640.jpg

393447643.jpg

393447642.jpg

393447645.jpg

393447644.jpg

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well she is on the ground and moves under power. brakes are bled for the 1st time . set the ride height and got it full of fluids. sat and ran for 30 min or so and everything is looking good . Many more things still to be done but it's getting close . myrchron , window net , seat and steering wheel will go in this next week weekend .

393513861.jpg

393513866.jpg

393513876.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back