Antifreeze

patriotu

forum member
Reaction score
Hello, its time to change coolant on my 2008 gt and all i can find in my area is this
SHELL ZONE DEX COOL EXTENDED LIFE with bittering agent . CONCENTRATE.
Anybody has anyideea about this stuff ?
And also planning to change sparkplugs. Any thoughts on this ?
Thank you !!

46addict

Reaction score
The radiators were factory filled with Motorcraft Premium Gold. If there is yellow fluid in the coolant tank, it's most likely factory in which case you should stick with the OEM coolant which is G-05 based. You can use any G-05 based coolant if you don't want to buy Motorcraft from the Ford dealership but it's a terrible idea to mix different types of coolant without completely flushing the system.

For spark plugs, if your car has the black coils, you more than likely have the 2-piece high thread spark plugs unless a previous owner swapped out the OEM coils with an aftermarket type. Motorcraft SP462 & SP514 are in the stock heat range as are the Autolite HT1s. If your car is boosted or sprayed you will need a colder plug.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
oriellys has the zerex brand of the ford gold antifreeze, sometimes its not out front, only behind the counter.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I pickup zerex brand concentrate and mix it at home. Much cheaper

07 Boss

Reaction score
I don't think this guy has Oreilly's or Autozones near him.

patriotu

forum member
Reaction score
The radiators were factory filled with Motorcraft Premium Gold. If there is yellow fluid in the coolant tank, it's most likely factory in which case you should stick with the OEM coolant which is G-05 based. You can use any G-05 based coolant if you don't want to buy Motorcraft from the Ford dealership but it's a terrible idea to mix different types of coolant without completely flushing the system.

For spark plugs, if your car has the black coils, you more than likely have the 2-piece high thread spark plugs unless a previous owner swapped out the OEM coils with an aftermarket type. Motorcraft SP462 & SP514 are in the stock heat range as are the Autolite HT1s. If your car is boosted or sprayed you will need a colder plug.

Good infos !! probably much easier for me to find zerex g 05 here. Actually there is and its made by valvoline. Does it matter ?

patriotu

forum member
Reaction score
Today i received the ford gold coolant from amazon.
So, after flushing the sistem whats the corect % mix do i have to refill, considering that a good amount of distilled water will remain in there ?
And also when flushing the sistem its correct to fill and drain in the same time and start the engine,until the water will be clear?

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
General practice is 50/50 equal mix, but better to get a tester and set it up for your climate. I am in PA and set concentration for zero degrees, but on some cold days I am lucky I guess (my expansion tank was frozen one morning, but engine was fine).

On that note to you as well, is that any concentration changes have to be made to the entire system, not just the expansion tank. In my car, the coolant in the tank seems to do very little if any mixing with the engine coolant, so it is actually not a very good indicator of what the coolant in the engine

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
General practice is 50/50 equal mix, but better to get a tester and set it up for your climate. I am in PA and set concentration for zero degrees, but on some cold days I am lucky I guess (my expansion tank was frozen one morning, but engine was fine).

On that note to you as well, is that any concentration changes have to be made to the entire system, not just the expansion tank. In my car, the coolant in the tank seems to do very little if any mixing with the engine coolant, so it is actually not a very good indicator of what the coolant in the engine

Interesting you shoot for a target of zero degrees.

I live more south of you and I shoot for at least -24 deg. because the lowest I have ever seen it here was -22 deg. ( 1994)

If I see -30 deg. on my hydrometer I am happy with that.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree, you are pushing your luck with only 0 degree mix. You should be closer to -20 deg.

46addict

Reaction score
I am also running a 0F mix but it rarely gets below the 20s in north Georgia. I'm on the water cools better in the summer bandwagon and I don't adjust the mix for the winters. My measuring method isn't very scientific either as I just measure from the expansion tank.

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
I am also running a 0F mix but it rarely gets below the 20s in north Georgia. I'm on the water cools better in the summer bandwagon and I don't adjust the mix for the winters. My measuring method isn't very scientific either as I just measure from the expansion tank.

The only way I trust an expansion tank test sample is if I know the vehicle has gone thru a complete hot and cooldown cycle at least twice and has pushed into and pulled out of the tank.

If I am still in doubt, I loosen up the drain valve at the bottom of the radiator and get a small sample.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back