Any hillclimb people here?

Kobie

forum member
Reaction score
Something about seeing a badass car just blow by a 20mph sign in the corners.

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
http://youtu.be/L2JwUjYJ-b0

Some video from Nelson Ledges track day today. Car is scary loose. Couple laps in the 1:13s, most in 1:15s. Wasn't going to stuff it at a track day. Need to do some mods in the rear over the winter and go much stiffer up front, which means new dampers unless I can have these revalved.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I wouldn't have thought a street car would go around there that fast. You would embarrass most amateur motorcycle racers and a few back of the pack pro-am guys running those laps.

And wow that place is bumpy in a car!!! On a bike you can avoid most of that stuff.

Nice driving.

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
Is the surface really as bad as it looks?

It is pretty bumpy. I'm offline here and there because it is pretty bad on the edges. I got sucked in on the apron outside (left rear stayed in the groove) of T2 a few years back in my old '09 Cobalt SS/TC and smacked the tire wall inside of T2. Was still using the apron when I wasn't catching up to someone but was very careful not to go too far out.

I wouldn't have thought a street car would go around there that fast. You would embarrass most amateur motorcycle racers and a few back of the pack pro-am guys running those laps.

And wow that place is bumpy in a car!!! On a bike you can avoid most of that stuff.

Nice driving.

Thanks man I appreciate it. Car had more in it but it was just too loose to really push it even for a lap. When I am sawing at the wheel it is because the car is starting to come around. Have to get that all figured out for next year. Not sure if relocation bracket are legal for ESP, the rear of the car sits high as hell trying to keep some of the roll steer at bay. Might go with a Watts too. If I do a blower likely none of that will happen. :) Current rates of 550/300 might be ok with a couple mods but I will go stiffer up front no matter what.

The place being bumpy oddly enough makes it the perfect place for me to test because the surface is pretty similar to the hillclimbs we run. Wish I had utilized that in the beginning of the year. Learned more about the handling of the car in 3 quick sessions than I did all year. To hard to test at an autocross because the speed just isn't there, and what makes the car work so well at autocross makes it pretty fucking unruly on the track.

Last edited:

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
It really isn't all that bad. 165 bucks and I think they got 7 sessions, we left after three.

tang-o

Reaction score
That was really cool! The road looks like fun. The jump was fun to watch. Nicely done man!

GoinDrivin

Reaction score
Isn't that how we all drive through town? To say that dude was on the hammer is an understatement. Talk about skills!

Hotrodtinker

Sandwich Ninja
Reaction score
Whoooaaaa!! I want to do this now!! I know this is more than a few months old now but anyone know any hillclimb races in the PNW? I'm going to start researching this.

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
This place makes Nelson Ledges look glass smooth. Left time out there, braking zones so bumpy was having a hard time getting car slowed down in parts. TT over the weekend at Summit Point, Jefferson Circuit. Most of the issues I was having were due to me running on shitty 3 year old R6s. Didn't want to ruin a set of A7s in the heat.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O-fQzbymvWQ

GoinDrivin

Reaction score
I used to race motorcycles (WERA) and do most of my track days at on Summit Main. I still call it home. Never been on Jefferson or Shenandoah.

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
We are racing at Shenendoah in the fall. Did touring runs during lunch on Saturday and I think that track is more dangerous than most of our hillclimbs. :)

Walls like 15ft off track right off turns.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Raced WERA and CCS a number of years (16+) ago as well. Did some instructing on Jefferson with NESBA and didn't care that much for the short track on a liter class machine, although, it was a hoot on the supermoto I ran for a short time. I've never run with four wheels on any track, I should give it go some time.

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
Went for a little ride...

Little more roll than I would think here on junk R6s, 800/350 springs and front bar on full stiff...

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back