Any of you using collectable insurance? If so, who?

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
I got a daily driver now that is newer then my Mustang, (previous one was a few years older) so now I want to get collectable insurance for the Mustang. They said since it is a "limited edition" California Special they will insure it. I meet all the restrictions, garage, no kid drivers, clean license, and I do less then 5000 miles a year on it. I got quotes with the same good coverage I now have with Allstate from Hagerty and Grundy with $25,000 agreed value for a year. Hagerty was about $800, (not much less then I pay with Allstate, but agreed value and other perks) and Grundy was only about $375. I can't get over how cheap Grundy was. Anybody use them? If not who and what are your yearly rates?

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just got Grundy in December, less than $400 a year for agreed value of 42K. I was paying
Travelers like $1400 for similar coverage w/o agreed value.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
I just got Grundy in December, less than $400 a year for agreed value of 42K. I was paying
Travelers like $1400 for similar coverage w/o agreed value.
Wow, so they are that cheap. Did you tell them you race a lot? Guessing no?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do you have unlimited miles with Grundy?
I think I told them the car is driven less than 2500 miles a year, so I would say no to the unlimited miles.
Wow, so they are that cheap. Did you tell them you race a lot? Guessing no?
Racing is not covered.

They way the get it so cheap is that it's "collector car" insurance, it's expected that the car is not driven much, you have to have at least one other car fully insured, you cannot use it as a back up if your DD goes down, etc, etc.

Hell my car has not been out of the garage in 3 months.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
I have ironshore indemnity. Almost 50k gaurenteed value. No mile limit and nationwide flatbed towing for 800 a year. They just required I have another vehicle for each licenced driver and the car needed to be in a garage.

Last edited:

forum member
Reaction score
Based on this thread, I just called Grundy. They estimated that a policy for $18k in agreed upon coverage for my 06 Mustang (GT, nothing special like CS or GT500) would be about $300 a year. They stated that they have no mileage limits but it can not be a DD and not used for stops in big parking lots (Walmart, mall, etc... his examples and not mine).
Has anyone tried to file a claim?

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
That was the reason I didn't go with grundy cause they said the same thing to me. You can't drive it to the shore and leave it unattended, no parking lots, etc etc. I don't drive mine often but when I do I don't want to worry bout that shit.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That was the reason I didn't go with grundy cause they said the same thing to me. You can't drive it to the shore and leave it unattended, no parking lots, etc etc. I don't drive mine often but when I do I don't want to worry bout that shit.

they didn't say anything like that to me. I even asked, "If I stop at a store on my way home from a cruise/car show on occasion is that ok" I was told ok.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
They stated that they have no mileage limits but it can not be a DD and not used for stops in big parking lots (Walmart, mall, etc... his examples and not mine).
Has anyone tried to file a claim?
Exactly. That is why you have a daily driver. I would never take my car to the mall or Walmart anyway, I have my other car for stuff like that. That is how they give good coverage, at low rates.

My uncle filed a claim years back, no issues. Said it was smoother then his regular insurance. Grundy has been around a long time...

04DarkShadowGT

forum member
Reaction score
Exactly. That is why you have a daily driver. I would never take my car to the mall or Walmart anyway, I have my other car for stuff like that. That is how they give good coverage, at low rates.

My uncle filed a claim years back, no issues. Said it was smoother then his regular insurance. Grundy has been around a long time...

Sometimes I like to take the kid for a ride on the weekends. We often stop at stores for whatever it is we need. I am not going to drive home, get the other car, and drive back to where I was already. I am not going to not drive my car on a nice day because my insurance company doesn't want me stopping at the local grocery to pick up a gallon of milk if the wife texts when I am already out.

Seems like a fairly harsh clause in their insurance. Seems like all they want you to do is drive to a car show and then park it for the rest of the year. I couldn't do that.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
I have Hagerty. All you have to have is a daily driver that is newer than a 2012 and they will let you put classic car insurance on anything (what they told me anyways)

I supplied pics of my car in the garage and stated that I wanted it insured for $25,000.

My yearly payment is right under $500/yr.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Sometimes I like to take the kid for a ride on the weekends. We often stop at stores for whatever it is we need. I am not going to drive home, get the other car, and drive back to where I was already. I am not going to not drive my car on a nice day because my insurance company doesn't want me stopping at the local grocery to pick up a gallon of milk if the wife texts when I am already out.
You can do exactly what you just said. I just got of the phone with them and read what you said word for word...

Some of you guys are reading WAY to into it. They don't want you going to Walmart and the mall on a regular basis with it. But if you need to hit the local strip mall for a few minutes to grab milk while you are out that is fine.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back