Any one on here ride pedal bikes??

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Dang, you guys have some really nice bikes. I am still riding my 10 year old Trek Y1! LOL. It looks like a dinosaur compred to what you guys are rocking, but it does fine by me. I go several times a year during the summer at out local state park, but I'm obviously not as serious about riding as you guys are.

It's funny how I will drop money on the car like it's nothing, but the thought of spending over a grand on two bikes makes me cringe! haha

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Find what you like brand, size, model etc and then take a look at ebay. A lot of riders/racers get rid of their stuff and it can be had for 50-60% of new. I was sponsored by a local shop when I raced and I sold my old gear on ebay.

Last edited:

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dang, you guys have some really nice bikes. I am still riding my 10 year old Trek Y1! LOL. It looks like a dinosaur compred to what you guys are rocking, but it does fine by me. I go several times a year during the summer at out local state park, but I'm obviously not as serious about riding as you guys are.

It's funny how I will drop money on the car like it's nothing, but the thought of spending over a grand on two bikes makes me cringe! haha

A good race bike can set you back $7,000-$10,000 most guys don't need it but hey it's what the Pros ride. Kind of like "needing" a 1,000 HP street car.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
The more I research, the more I am going to spend as getting good conponents came up in a discussion with my older brother along with leaning towards more of a mountain bike platform in lieu of the hybrid. So now I am looking for a bike with higher end derailers (i.e. SRAM X7 or above) along with hydraulic disc brakes and have a feeling this is going cost me at least $1k just for mine.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
I've really gotten into riding these past couple years. There's a lot of trails out my me, mainly paved and light gravel. So I got a road/commuter bike. Mine is a Bianchi Cortina, I went with it mainly because of it's huge frame it offers (i'm 6'5'') I love it and haven't had an issue, it's so easy to ride it's almost cheating haha.

I'm hoping to get a more 'serious' road bike sometime soon, for now this bike is awesome!

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a peddle bike? Does that count? LOL!!!

I bought a full suspension bike of ebay. A "Motobecane". Whatever that means. It's not a lightweigh, but not a terribly heavy either. It has decent hardware. Rides nice. But the knobby tires were scarey squirrelly on anything other than dirt, so I put balloon road tires on it. Much nicer for what little ridding I do. And, much much more controlled on the surfaces I ride on. Not that I've touched it since we moved last August. Too busy.

Last edited:

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
The more I research, the more I am going to spend as getting good conponents came up in a discussion with my older brother along with leaning towards more of a mountain bike platform in lieu of the hybrid. So now I am looking for a bike with higher end derailers (i.e. SRAM X7 or above) along with hydraulic disc brakes and have a feeling this is going cost me at least $1k just for mine.

Components, much like on a car, are what makes the bike the bike. The frame can be pretty much whatever. As long as it is solid and fits the rider, the brand or style doesn't matter. X7 would be the bare minimum that I would go with, X9/X0 is really ideal if you can find them on the cheap side. Are you talking about purchasing new, or getting used, or building your own?

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
More than likely new unless I can find the right used deal, but I also don't want to be shopping around for an extended period as I really want to get something picked up fairly soon.

bradleyem

forum member
Reaction score
I used to be on a freestyle team, so I still rock my GT Pro Freestyle Tour Team model. It needs some love now since its about 20 years old. I wish that I could find a set of the original GT treaded tires for it. I'm 43, and it's funny when I ride and show up the young kids...lol

Sent from my Verizon HTC Droid DNA with Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370186364330.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370186364330.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 15

ridenfish39

forum member
Reaction score
I could have put a Paxton on my car for what this thing is worth (being sponsored by a good shop helps a lot when you want nice stuff)LOL I did set the fastest time in the NJ State time trial on it today.....but it doesn't count because I live in Pa

Last edited:

TenSpeed

Reaction score
I could have put a Paxton on my car for what this thing is worth (being sponsored by a good shop helps a lot when you want nice stuff)LOL I did set the fastest time in the NJ State time trial on it today.....but it doesn't count because I live in Pa

That bike just looks fast leaning against the wall. Really nice stuff there.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I am curious, how much does that thing weigh? 12-13 lbs? My wife's road bike is 19 lbs and its pretty nice, but nothing like that.

ridenfish39

forum member
Reaction score
I am curious, how much does that thing weigh? 12-13 lbs? My wife's road bike is 19 lbs and its pretty nice, but nothing like that.
I never weighed it but it's probably about 18 or 19 lbs. It's a XL frame and it had a Power Tap rear hub.
Time trial bikes are not as light as road bikes, and they don't need to be because most races are flat or rolling. My XL road bike weighs 16 lbs with pedals, cages, and Power Tap.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oh, ok.....wife's bike was 19 lbs as delivered, without pedals. She has since added pedals (obviously) and other accessories so I wouldn't be surprised if its around 21 lbs now.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
After lots of research and feedback from other riders, I finally pulled the trigger on a bike and ordered a BAMF Sucker Punch 29er Mountain Bike. I was hard pressed to find a similarly equipped bike with this level of components... but now the wait begins as it could take 10 plus days to get here.

Last edited:

1sloGT

forum member
Reaction score
After lots of research and feedback from other riders, I finally pulled the trigger on a bike and ordered a BAMF Sucker Punch 29er Mountain Bike. I was hard pressed to find a similarly equipped bike with this level of components... but now the wait begins as it could take 10 plus days to get here.

Very nice choice man. One thing I highly recommend is getting your seat bones measured and getting a properly sized seat. I am a BIG fan of the specialized body geometry stuff. For the men's line they actually stuck sensors on dudes sweaty parts to make sure the seats didn't restrict blood flow to those parts. A bad seat can lead to issues in the bedroom fairly quickly.

This is the one I ride with. Nice groove down the middle and its cushioned on the bottom side/tip for when you have to shoulder the bike to make it up impassible terrain.

http://mikesbikes.com/product/speci...nooverride=1&gclid=CPua6bfr3bcCFQdyQgodXEMAUg

TenSpeed

Reaction score
Second for the Specialized BG stuff. The right saddle makes all the difference. Find a local Specialized dealer, and they can use the Ass-O-Meter on you to get the proper saddle size. I love my Specialized saddle so much that I bought a second one just in case something happens to this one.

Not kidding about that Ass-O-Meter either.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, I am sure the seat that comes on this bike will not fit right. Although not a custom fit, I did take the advice from my brother and ordered one that he recommended (Selle Royal Lookin moderate). I figure it is a good place to start until I can find a good ifit shop.
And some good news as the bike shipped last night and is scheduled to deliver Friday. So assuming it stays on schedule, I will be out pedaling this weekend.

Last edited:

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
Man, this is a bad ass bike!
I am so glad I decided to make the extra investment as the little things on this one like the hydraulic disc brakes and super clean/effortless shifting with the X7 set-up are just amazing. But of course it is raining today, so my first real fun with bike will need to wait. Also had some shipping damage to one of the fork tubes (just cosmetic), but they were very cool about it and are shipping out a replacement fork on Monday.

Crappy shot for now...

Attachments

• new toys 001.jpg
    new toys 001.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back