Bike purchase

BigRis

forum member
Reaction score
Ugh... I was all set to buy the Camber but got cold feet on dropping $1850. So I started looking at a bunch of bikes. I than thought how about just going $880 on a Rockhopper but.... Since I sold my 11sec 2010 mustang gt my wife said buy whatever bike I want . She just wants me to buy a bike that I will really enjoy and ride a lot. I made the decision to buy her the Jett as the dealer knock $150 off plus she will ride it for many years.
So back to me , I have narrowed it down to a Crave for $1400 or a Camber for $1850. Those are the listed costs but I am sure the guy will give me a better cost on a package with the Jett.
The Crave is $450 cheaper and has better components but the Camber is a full suspension bike and has quality components. I have ridden both bike around the parking lots and both are very nice but it is hard to get a true feeling in a lot.
Here is a question also. If you know me I have back issues that I am working hard to overcome and strengthen my core. Is the full suspension bike that much of a better ride? Is it worth $450 plus the step down a little in components ?
.......mmmm than today I was thrown a curve when another dealer gave me a sales pitch on a Surly ECR. It is a brand new design that looks to be a great riding bike that is designed to put the rider in a upright position that looks to be a lot better on the lower back. Looks very comfortable etc.$2150.. A cool looking machine.
Any advice or comments ( constructive you dicks..lol) would be greatly appreciated as Friday is go pick out the bike day.

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
^^ If you have to ask you probably won't be able to contribute anything the OP is looking for. lol

Can you take the bikes on a real test ride? I know the shops around here have test bikes that they let people take for the day.

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
Most important thing here is what type of riding do you plan on doing? What type of terrain? Full suspension can be a huge difference on the back.

Second for a real test ride, not just the parking lot to see if it fits.

BigRis

forum member
Reaction score
Most important thing here is what type of riding do you plan on doing? What type of terrain? Full suspension can be a huge difference on the back.

Second for a real test ride, not just the parking lot to see if it fits.

I just plan on doing a lot of family Type trail rides. Basic two tracks, single track stuff and go from there. I hope to progress to more challenging stuff as I get in better shape. I want to go as far as my back will let me. The other day I walked some of the local " easy" trails. I did notice that even though it is considered easy there was roots, branches, sand , mud and many bumps etc. So even at slower speeds there would be a lot more bouncing around than I would think on a easy trail. I have walked the trails before but taking the view of riding on them I really noticed everything.

TenSpeed

Reaction score
Personally, I would go full suspension with the Camber and just lock it out for family rides on paths. Nice to have it if you need it, but when you need it, and you don't have it, that is when you regret it.

If I was to get another mountain bike, there would be no question, full suspension on every day that ends in y.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
full suspension will be much more forgiving on your back. I don't stay in my saddle all the time while riding, but if you are on it, you will definitely feel all of those roots, rocks, bumps, and dips on a hardtail. Trail riding will sometimes relax and loosen up my lower back, so I hope it does the same for you.

I test rode a Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1 full suspension at a riding/camping weekend, that thing was SWEET! It was much more cushy than my hardtail Trek Superfly AL. If you can do it, I'd get the full suspension bike for sure. If your back gets better and you progress to harder stuff, then your already setup to conquer it.

jmauld

forum member
Reaction score
I don't much about bikes, but aren't most of the components interchangeable? If so, and assuming they are both comparable bikes, I would get the one with the full suspension and do upgrades to it as time/money allows. Seems like it would be easier to upgrade the components on the bike/frame with full suspension vs trying to add a suspension to a bike that doesn't have it.

BigRis

forum member
Reaction score
I was offered a 2014 Carve comp for $200 off and $100 off the Jett for my wife.....hmmm might have to do it.

Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
If you have the slightest inclination that you may ever want to do any aggressive riding then go full suspension, you'll be glad you did.
I just got into mountain biking last summer. I wanted a good bike and thought a hardtail would work for me for a few years and then I'd step up later, so I picked up a Giant Talon 4. By October I was really wishing I had picked up an FS bike. The hardtails a great but I want to be able to hit some decent jump and I've already found out that even the small jumps that I want to hit are too hard on this bike. I can soak up the landing with my legs but the sheer impact has already stripped a peddal and the bike was just a few months old.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Full suspension, because it sounds like you are going to be doing this for a while. Why buy a bike that you will outgrow in a season and then wish you got something better. So I submit to you that the cheaper bike will actually cost you MORE in the long run.

Camber is a sweet bike. What is the component group you are getting for $1800? That is a pretty good deal as well, but it just depends what the components are.

Here is mine. I got a Giant Trance first, I liked it, but outgrew it, so I sold it and got this one. I should have got this the first time.

GiantReign1web.jpg~original

My brother has the camber expert and he loves it.

Derricksbike.jpg~original

Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
Color me jelly Paul! Do you do mostly downhill or is the reign a decent all arouns bike?

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The reign is a very decent all round bike. I use it for everything and highly recommend it. It has the climb/trail/decent feature also on the front fork/rear shock so I use this thing for everything from bike paths to Big Mountain (ski lift up, downhill) and cross country riding. Its a little heavier now because I went with larger tires, but I also switched out to some sweet VP platform pedals with some 5.10 shoes and they stick to the pedals. Bike is 28-29lbs.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
On a related note, any recommendations on helmets? Need one mainly for mild trail/street riding... nothing too crazy (yet). Plan to hit some bike shops this weekend as well.

1sloGT

forum member
Reaction score
Definitely go full suspension. It really is a nicer ride. I went from a hard rock with disc brakes to a full on custom stump jumper fsr with the air suspension and it was beyond night and day on the bumps and technical trails. Go big up front, especially with the wife's permission. Once you ride a buddies hard tail down a familiar trail you'll be glad you did.

Wingspan

forum member
Reaction score
On a related note, any recommendations on helmets? Need one mainly for mild trail/street riding... nothing too crazy (yet). Plan to hit some bike shops this weekend as well.

Go to the bike shop, try on everything they have, and buy what fits you the best. Any quality helmet will offer an equivalent level of protection. Helmet fit and comfort are the most important things.

TenSpeed

Reaction score
I have had good luck with Bell helmets so far. I have two Bell Slant helmets right now, very affordable and fit almost perfectly. No other brand fits my head like they do. That is the biggest thing, fit. All of them should protect your head nicely. Some of the mountain bike helmets will offer more rear protection.

Sarge1400

forum member
Reaction score
If such a thing exists, get a full suspension bike that has the ability to lock out the suspension. The full suspension will sap your strength when riding easy trails that don't require it; you transfer your energy to the suspension instead of the crank.

I ride a Cannondale 29er hardtail, and lock out the front when I don't need it. At my age, I need the power going to the crank, not wasted bouncing the front end up and down!

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^^^the full suspension bikes have lock outs now, or different shock and fork settings (like climb/trail/decent). Thats not so much of a concern now.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back