Anyone have problems with belts/tensioners on a Saleen supercharger?

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here is the story. I got my car tuned about a week and a half ago at JDM. I had them put a 10% Overdrive pulley on adding a few more psi of boost. I drove home in the snow and drove the car to work the next day. The roads cleared up and I took it for a ride. The car ran really strong, then next thing I know, right after the 1st to 2nd shift the belt went. So I replaced it and tried again. Same thing. So I called Jim Sr and he said to bring it in. I went back a week later after throwing 3 belts and he said my tensioner was bent like a pretzel. He put on a new tensioner and a brace and the next day I took it out and 1st to 2nd the tensioner snapped right after the brace. So here is my question. Is it the tensioners, or could it be something else causing this? I never had belt issues before the install of the Crank pulley.

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You're putting too much stress on the belt with that new pulley. You have increased what I call the "wronk" factor!

I have the stock pulley and the Saleen SC with a 3.8" pulley on it and no problems whatsoever.

I know others around where I live with 3.6 and 3.4 pulleys with the stock pulley on the crank and no issues either.

An 8 rib belt may be what you need now.

Hope this helps.

Mike

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you need thump_rrr's tensioner. you wont have any other issues once thats put on

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Broken Tensioner's

You need Peters tensioner (thump_rrr).Get one re clocked as i found with the 4r70w,the belt will squeal at moderate rpm.The tranny shifts so fast & pulls down the motor rpm but the blower keeps spinning at the quicker rate for a second,this causes belt squeal.I am waiting on my re clocked tensioner for over a month now.Re clocked means the tension will be greater than stock.His tensioner does work trust me.

GI Joe

Reaction score
I have been seeing this over and over now with the I/W crank pulley too. Get a little longer belt....get a little longer belt...

rog06gt

Mash it!!!
Reaction score
I have been seeing this over and over now with the I/W crank pulley too. Get a little longer belt....get a little longer belt...
+1
Need to bring the tensionner in the neutral travel position (original), Thump_rrr tensionner will give you peace of mind...

C-Liz-Go

Resident Realtor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine had that issue. Ate two belts and the pullies were out of alignment. Talk with Jim III, because part of my issue was a defect in my S/C and that's why it was sent back to Saleen. If you can get ahold of Carlos there, ask him about it. His fax # is back somewhere in my "Not Exactly Tech" thread. Good luck with that.

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Broke another one a few hours ago. I just put the Kenne Bell tensioner on, a friend gave me a beefed up Kenne bell tensioner, ill see how long this holds up. I am trying to get one of those Thump rrr tensioners but cant get a hold of him. Ill see how long this Kenne bell tensioner holds up.
Hey Ron have you tried one of those?

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Broke another one a few hours ago. I just put the Kenne Bell tensioner on, a friend gave me a beefed up Kenne bell tensioner, ill see how long this holds up. I am trying to get one of those Thump rrr tensioners but cant get a hold of him. Ill see how long this Kenne bell tensioner holds up.
Hey Ron have you tried one of those?
From what I can tell, the KB tensioner is just a modified Dayco unit. And the Dayco tensioners are worse than the factory Ford tensioners. I've been using one of Adam's Frankentensioners for over a year now with no problems. But I concur with everyone else, get one of thump's units ASAP.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
this is what i did to my KB beefed up tensioner. i ripped the entire arm off the base

i never even did that to a stock tensioner

DSCN0433.jpg

DSCN0432.jpg

DSCN0431.jpg

DSCN0428.jpg

BACNBLAK

Old and Wise(guy)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
From what I can tell, the KB tensioner is just a modified Dayco unit. And the Dayco tensioners are worse than the factory Ford tensioners. I've been using one of Adam's Frankentensioners for over a year now with no problems. But I concur with everyone else, get one of thump's units ASAP.

I broke two KB tensioners before switching to one of thump's. Problem solved.

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
OK, heres the question. How do I get a hold of Thump rrr for one of his tensioners? I sent him a PM two days ago and no answer yet.

JimIII@JDM

Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Paul this sucks man, i thought the reinforcing plate would help, we have never seen one break with that on! Your trans has all the shift pressures controlled in the Valve body and from what i know lentech maxxes them out. Which is probably just too much on that tensioner arm. Im going to have to say the Thumprrr tensioner is the way to go. I said that in the shop the other day if it broke after what we did you should do the Billet piece. I dont think the problem is with the larger pulley, we run that on our Blue car with the stock tensioner arm and our reinforcing plate. Over 500 1/4 mile passes on the original arm and 6 rib system!

JimIII

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
tensioner

Paul this sucks man, i thought the reinforcing plate would help, we have never seen one break with that on! Your trans has all the shift pressures controlled in the Valve body and from what i know lentech maxxes them out. Which is probably just too much on that tensioner arm. Im going to have to say the Thumprrr tensioner is the way to go. I said that in the shop the other day if it broke after what we did you should do the Billet piece. I dont think the problem is with the larger pulley, we run that on our Blue car with the stock tensioner arm and our reinforcing plate. Over 500 1/4 mile passes on the original arm and 6 rib system!

JimIII

You are correct,no problem with pulleys.I had Sean Hyland weld & gusett 3 or 4 tensioners,i slowly bent them & threw belts.Thump_rrr (Peter) is a site vendor(his cousin makes them in Jersey).They work really well & look good.

flounderlipps

forum member
Reaction score
Paul maybe you can get one of this guy's tensioners.

Attachments

• blown-chevy.jpg
    blown-chevy.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 26

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back