Anyone running 20" wheels that would NOT recommend it?

JOK3R

forum member
Reaction score
I'm going to order a new set of wheels hopefully this month. I'm kind of torn between 18's and 20's. On one hand, 20's look like the perfect size for an S197, but I have heard from a few people that that ride quality, handling, and traction suffer pretty hard from a 20 inch wheel unless it is something that is super lightweight. I do want the better looks of a 20 inch wheel, but am really weary about runing my handling/ride quality (which I must say is lightyears better than my previous Mustangs/F-Bodies for a stock car).

So anyone running 20's and don't like them? :hi:

2L8IWON

forum member
Reaction score
Well my computer just ate my response, so I will summarize it by saying you WILL NOT be sorry with 20s! I think it is the same thing as putting 18s on the old SN95 cars. I have had 8 Mustangs so I have a little experience in this respect.

I love my Nitto 555 tires however the more I have read and research you might be better with Nitto NT05 or Invos.

- Jesse

siberianmist

forum member
Reaction score
the combination of lowering springs and the small sidewalls (even with shocks set to soft) can be annoying at times, but i have learned to with it even on these terrible minnesota roads. my 20s aren't any heavier than the 18s out there, it is hard to get traction when you go WOT in first gear though. handling is fine, just get some sticky and wide tires and you won't have any problems.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind feeling every bump in the road, then go for it. It has just become too much for me to bear, so I'll be putting my 18's on this weekend.

I absolutely love looking at them though.

s197shockwave

forum member
Reaction score
Heres my 2 cents.

One thing I hate is that pesky gap between the fender and the tire, man I hate it. On my rides I like it to be non existent.

20s fix this issue very well, but I do not like the way that 20s kinda raise the car. A car with the same suspension set up with 20s versus 18s will sit higher.

Now the 18s have a lot of pros to them. In my opinion they give the car a lower wider stance, but getting rid of that fender tire gap becomes more of an issue. Unless you lower the car enough or start going with huge sidewall tires 45+, then the wheels start to look small, and the tires bubbly and round. I do not dig that either.

I have 18s now, and have considered 20s, but i think i might go 19s next. I feel that 19s are the best balance for the s197.

The issue here is that not many of our fav wheels come in 19" sizes.

JOK3R

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys for the responses. I think I will go with 18's and lower the car. If I decide I still need bigger, I'll get 20's and sell the 18's.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
20's on an s197 is the same as 18's on an sn95. They both have 30 series sidewalls...

I like my 20's and its not too bumpy on the alabama roads. If you want a cadillac ride, then maybe you dont need to be lowering your car in the first place and putting aftermarket shocks and struts in the car... Just my .02

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
The only complaint I have about my 20's is the fact that eating curbs becomes a pain in the ass now. I have to be very careful with parallel parking and going through the drive thrus...

Chris07GT

forum member
Reaction score

20s fix this issue very well, but I do not like the way that 20s kinda raise the car. A car with the same suspension set up with 20s versus 18s will sit higher.

quote]

How do you figure that? The tire height on a 235/50/18 (factory tire size) is actually taller than on my 285/30/20's.

jsawyer

uh oh
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I like my 20's ride just fine...1" drop, don,t go any lower...I had a 1.75" drop in my avatar photo.....painfull

06elnr

forum member
Reaction score
I would say dont get 20s because you get way too much attention! people always telling you how good your car looks and such...it becomes a pain in the butt just to even stop and get gas, everyone wants to talk about your car. J/K I love my 20s.

bullittrevor

forum member
Reaction score
it makes for a bumpier ride but other than that nothing really changed. although theres not a huge tire selection to choose from for 20" wheels.

s197shockwave

forum member
Reaction score

quote]

How do you figure that? The tire height on a 235/50/18 (factory tire size) is actually taller than on my 285/30/20's.

YES MY FRIEND, BUT NOT THE SAME AS LETS SAY 295/35/18. COUPLE OF INCHES LOWER I THINK THAN A 305/35/20, WHICH WILL EQUAL TO A MUCH LOWER MEANER LOOKING CAR THAN WITH THE 20S

DO NOT COMPARE ANYTHING TO STOCK.

Chris07GT

forum member
Reaction score
YES MY FRIEND, BUT NOT THE SAME AS LETS SAY 295/35/18. COUPLE OF INCHES LOWER I THINK THAN A 305/35/20, WHICH WILL EQUAL TO A MUCH LOWER MEANER LOOKING CAR THAN WITH THE 20S

DO NOT COMPARE ANYTHING TO STOCK.

OK MY FRIEND, BUT I WAS JUST POINTING OUT THAT YOU CAN GET 20'S WITHOUT INCREASING THE RIDE HEIGHT OF THE VEHICLE, WHEREAS YOU MADE IT SOUND LIKE 20'S MAKE THE CAR SEEM LIKE A 4-WHEELER

s197shockwave

forum member
Reaction score
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

18s for now on my ride, till i can get some forged 19s

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back