ATP twin turbo

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-MUS-001&Category_Code=MUS

I ran a quick search but didn't come up with much. I believe these turbos mount in the rear of the engine bay. Has anyone had any experience with the kit, or company? This appears to be more efficient than a single kit with a y pipe. Also, if you already have a fuel system, and intercooler, it seems to be a viable option to go the route of twins opposed to the other complete twin kits on the market.

Any thoughts on this kit, turbo mounting location, etc?

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You sig says THP kit, I am assuming that's for the Turbo Hosepower kit, if so you have one of the better single kits. If you want to go twin, talk to Jim and see what he can do for you upgrading to his twin kit.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Garrett hoped someone would pick it up and make entire kits, never happened as far as I know.

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
You sig says THP kit, I am assuming that's for the Turbo Hosepower kit, if so you have one of the better single kits. If you want to go twin, talk to Jim and see what he can do for you upgrading to his twin kit.

Jim? THP is a solid turbo kit? Same kit you run in a TT setup?
Just trying to research some different kits. Thanks

Last edited:

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes Doug, Jim Napier, he is the man at THP and yes mine is their twin kit. It's a very nice kit if you like to see the turbos, which I do. Jim's single kit is also a very good kit and competitively priced. Jim is great to work with and will basically build whatever you want in a kit. Custom means custom, Jim will add or change things for your satisfaction.

S&H's Stealth kit also seems to be a nice kit but I think some of the guys have had install troubles with it.

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
It's just the Garrett kit; not worth the effort, in my opinion. You need to fabricate the entire cold side yourself, as well as relocate a bunch of stuff.

I can only recall one car with that kit on this forum, and the numbers didn't seem to justify the amount of money and time invested.

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/11/03/garret-twin-turbo-kit-for-05-mustang/
http://www.ridelust.com/wp-content/uploads/3139144804_6619e9b881.jpg
im not necessarily looking to reinvent the wheel here, im more so curious about what is realistically possible for the average joe so to speak. i have seen this kit in the past, i had just forgotten about it. i just stumbled across it the other day, and found the turbo mounting location to be more ideal than where my single is, y pipe connection etc. i knew what i was getting into, so thats not meant to knock my thp single, im still very satisfied with it.

i suppose im curious if it would be feasible to reuse my current cold side, replace the hotside to the aforementioned, and how much modification at that point would be needed.

yup, jims service is absolutely stellar. i have nothing bad to say about his product or company. he bends over backwards for his clients to ensure they are happy. his twin kit is very nice looking. but to be frank, its way out of my budget, and the install is way beyond my capability. its just not a realistic option for me.

im a bit all over the place. i do intend to build a motor in about 2 years +/- (i cant do it this year, and i dont want to run into a time crunch with my emissions testing next year). im considering at that point going another direction with the car. DOB kit with a TVS, i was considering this kit, and powdercoating my current kit and reevaluating my turbo choice.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why not just have Jim upgrade your current single kit with a larger turbo and whatever else it takes to support the larger turbo? Unless you are shooting for the moon your kit, with like a 76mm billet wheel turbo would make more HP then you could use. Why reinvent the wheel when you have a good turbo setup now?

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
Why not just have Jim upgrade your current single kit with a larger turbo and whatever else it takes to support the larger turbo? Unless you are shooting for the moon your kit, with like a 76mm billet wheel turbo would make more HP then you could use. Why reinvent the wheel when you have a good turbo setup now?

last year i sent it out to him for a rebuild and we went to a billet cartridge at the time and i had it tuned at that point. id like to get some more miles on it before i tear into it all over again.

im hesitant to go bigger, because i dont want to move the powerband up further in the rpm range than what it is. im not chasing a dyno number, im chasing reduced spool/efficiency (its not bad now but its not instaboost either). also, going to a 76, i think im going to have some serious clearence issues at that point. its kind of tight to the valve cover with this little 61 that i have now.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
im not necessarily looking to reinvent the wheel here, im more so curious about what is realistically possible for the average joe so to speak. i have seen this kit in the past, i had just forgotten about it. i just stumbled across it the other day, and found the turbo mounting location to be more ideal than where my single is, y pipe connection etc. i knew what i was getting into, so thats not meant to knock my thp single, im still very satisfied with it.

i suppose im curious if it would be feasible to reuse my current cold side, replace the hotside to the aforementioned, and how much modification at that point would be needed.

You'd need to make a lot of changes.

Could you use your front mounted A/A IC? Possibly, with a modification to allow two inputs. Then you'd need to fabricate new cold side piping from the compressor outlets to the IC, and possibly from IC to TB. Somewhere in there you'd have to consider whether or not your MAF is sitting in a good location for a decent reading, or tuning the car will become a pain. Then you'd have to figure out if you wanted to run open inlets on the compressors, or if you'd want to fabricate intake pipes with filters. After that, you'd have to relocate the battery, as the passenger side turbo sits there. I can also see that you'd likely have to move at least the power steering fluid reservoir. Perhaps more.

There's a reason why the Garrett kit hasn't been picked up and made into a full kit, but only offered as a "tuner kit" by people reselling whatever they get straight from Garrett.

Is it for the average Joe? I'd say no. Can it be made it work? Sure. I'd rather teach my hard of hearing, 88 year old grandmother how to tune a Mustang, over the phone, while she's solving a Sudoku puzzle blindfolded.

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
You'd need to make a lot of changes.

Could you use your front mounted A/A IC? Possibly, with a modification to allow two inputs. Then you'd need to fabricate new cold side piping from the compressor outlets to the IC, and possibly from IC to TB. Somewhere in there you'd have to consider whether or not your MAF is sitting in a good location for a decent reading, or tuning the car will become a pain. Then you'd have to figure out if you wanted to run open inlets on the compressors, or if you'd want to fabricate intake pipes with filters. After that, you'd have to relocate the battery, as the passenger side turbo sits there. I can also see that you'd likely have to move at least the power steering fluid reservoir. Perhaps more.

There's a reason why the Garrett kit hasn't been picked up and made into a full kit, but only offered as a "tuner kit" by people reselling whatever they get straight from Garrett.

Is it for the average Joe? I'd say no. Can it be made it work? Sure. I'd rather teach my hard of hearing, 88 year old grandmother how to tune a Mustang, over the phone, while she's solving a Sudoku puzzle blindfolded.

excellent input, thank you. im talking to a buddy right now who is far more well versed on turbo components than i am. hes effectively echoing the same thing youre saying. im pretty certain im going to steer clear, it will only open up a can of worms i definitely dont want to mess with.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I always wanted the THP twin kit, the forward facing headers and some relocation for twin turbos.

but I got DOB setup and cant wait to install it

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Matt, you should talk to Jim about what you want from the new setup. He can figure out what turbo will be best to give you what you want. As you know Jim is a wizard with turbos, there so many options for total size, housing afr size and such you should let him have a shot at it.

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
Matt, you should talk to Jim about what you want from the new setup. He can figure out what turbo will be best to give you what you want. As you know Jim is a wizard with turbos, there so many options for total size, housing afr size and such you should let him have a shot at it.

You're right about jim. He's never steered me wrong and has always made a point to take care of me. Thanks for your help earl.

v6tungsten

forum member
Reaction score
what other turbo kits are out there that keep the cats? I'd love to have a turbo car but i have to run cats.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back