Auto-trans shifting oddly up-hill under part throttle?

Error404

photographer
Reaction score
My car is strictly a weekend pleasure car, and that usually ends me up in the mountains. I'd like to say first off, that I would rather have an automatic transmission for the ease of use, and because I flat out never learned to drive a manual very well! I enjoy the auto transmission when it works good on the flat roads! I'd like to see if my two issues here can be resolved through tuning, or something else? A manual valve body and a ratchet shifter would be my perfect solution! But I don't think either of them exists for my car yet, due to the transmission being computer controlled?

There are two main issues I have with the way the transmission is shifting right now. B&M's 'ratchet shifter' (if it ever hits the stores!) will take care of both of them I think, even though the lag between shifts would still be there. I want to see if something can be done about my issues with the shifting before the ratchet shifter arrives? Both of these issues I think would easily be solved by the shifter, because all I really want to do is keep the transmission in the gear it's already in! and not shift up or down shift while under part throttle! Under WOT it works like a champ, and I wouldn't be using the ratchet for banging through the gears because it's great at that already! I only want to hold the transmission in it's current gear (usually 3rd!) while in the mountains. Keep in mind, both of these issues are while I'm going up-hill in the mountains.

Issue #1. The transmission seems to shift (under part throttle) into the next gear much to quickly into 4th and 5th gear when I'm going up-hill, so that the powerband is lost.

Say I'm motoring along nice in 3rd gear (up hill!) and all is well. I give it a bit more gas to start accelerating (not balls out, but a good push!) RPMs are climbing in 3rd gear from 2500-3000 RPM with good acceleration and a moderately open throttle. It should keep climbing the RPMs in 3rd and pushing the car along, but then the transmission up-shifts to 4th way to quickly, ending up at 1500-1700RPM bogging up hill!! 4th gear drops the RPMs so low that I can tell the motor is struggling and bogging a bit with the throttle open a good ways!

Then naturally I have to press the throttle down farther towards WOT to get the transmission to shift again, THEN the transmission pops back down to 3rd gear (or even 2nd!) after a 1-2 seconds and I take off like a rocket, sometimes to fast because I'm now no longer at part throttle and a decent acceleration, but almost WOT balls out to get the transmission to shift. Kind of like the power is either all there, or not there (bogging 1600RPM in to high of a gear) when I get to the 3rd-5th gear range of the transmission. 1st and 2nd seem to do just fine, though probably because the 4.10s I don't really drive around in 1st or 2nd very often, mostly 3rd while in the mountains.

The screwy thing is, when the transmission bogs like that at 1600RPM or so in 4th or 5th gear, I glance at my boost gauge, and I'm at like 5+ PSI on the blower, and I can hear it whining away! The motor is trying to give power, but the transmission is in a higher cruising gear until it finally clicks and decides to pop me down a gear or two!

I have a funny feeling this is due to the torque converter locking up? I can feel the car lurch back and forth sometimes when it shifts hard and early like this, just like someone slammed in a gear on a manual transmission while popping the clutch out to fast under part throttle. And the lagging while bogging in 1600RPM before it down-shifts, I have a feeling this is because the converter is locked up and doesn't yet want to release it so the transmission can down shift for power?

Issue #2. Also while going up hill, say I'm in 3rd gear going around a turn, I let off the throttle (sometimes not even all the way off) to slow the car down a bit for the turn, then the transmission up-shifts into 4th gear (1600RPM again!) then as soon as I exit the turn naturally I want my power back!! So I press the gas down, it bogs for a second, then clicks back down into 3rd gear and I have all the power I want :)

Solutions? I think this #2 issue is just the way automatic transmissions work, when the car is no longer accelerating, it up-shifts to a cruising gear. Makes sense to me! So this issue I think will only be solved by the ratchet shifter. Issue #1, while solvable with the ratchet shifter, still seems a bit funny to me. Is this something that can be tuned out?

I don't really ever recall having this issue (issue #1) before the Whipple and the torque converter. So maybe the torque converter needs to be compensated for somehow in the tune? I'm going to have the car back over to Greg at RET to see if he can do anything with it. Unfortunately, his shop isn't anywhere near the mountains and we won't be able to test it right away! So I have a feeling it will take a few tries to get it right? Unless he has dealt with this kind of issue before. Has anyone dealt with this before? What needs to be changed in the tune to fix my issue? Is it related to the new torque converter?

Tests! I have tested this with the factory shifter, leaving the transmission in 3rd as I'm going up the mountains (RPMs between 2500 and 5000 under a good acceleration, right where I want it, when I don't have room for a WOT blast) and it works like a charm! Only issue I have, is that it would probably be way to easy to accidentally bump the shifter down into 2nd or 1st gear because there are NO hard stops on the shifter inbetween 1st and Drive!! So, I have only done this a few quick times to make sure that having a ratchet shifter with actual hard stops in between each gear would settle my issues.

This is probably just the ramblings of a guy who really should just trade in the car for a manual, but I want to see if something can be done before I even start thinking about that! I didn't seem to have this issue before the torque converter.

Last edited:
M

MattD

The issues you are seeing are just part of computer controlled transmissions. Yes you could get someone to write you a tune for 'spirited mountain driving' by adjusting shift points vs. rpm vs. TPS, but then your tranny wouldn't work so well when you are cruising on flat surfaces. Learn to live with it and just keep the selector in 3.

Manufacturer's tune these trannies to get the best possible mpg. There main goal in life is to get to the highest gear as soon as possible.

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The issues you are seeing are just part of computer controlled transmissions. Yes you could get someone to write you a tune for 'spirited mountain driving' by adjusting shift points vs. rpm vs. TPS, but then your tranny wouldn't work so well when you are cruising on flat surfaces. Learn to live with it and just keep the selector in 3.

Manufacturer's tune these trannies to get the best possible mpg. There main goal in life is to get to the highest gear as soon as possible.

Actually, you could get such a tune written, say into an SCT tuner, and switch it back and forth as you please.

I have 2 tunes for my car that I can access. Both have the tranny tweaked to shift firm.

So I know a SCT tuner can hold 2 custom programs + the stock program.

Hope this helps.

Mike

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Have you tried turning OD off using the button on the right side of the T handle shifter? That may help with up-hill type driving and frequent shifting.

I would also recommend getting yourself some 3.73 gears installed as well as the custom tune(s) I mention in the other reply.

3.73's in an automatic basically give the same overall gear ratio as 4.10's in a manual transmission Mustang GT.

Hope this helps.

Mike

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Have you tried turning OD off using the button on the right side of the T handle shifter? That may help with up-hill type driving and frequent shifting.

I would also recommend getting yourself some 3.73 gears installed as well as the custom tune(s) I mention in the other reply.

3.73's in an automatic basically give the same overall gear ratio as 4.10's in a manual transmission Mustang GT.

Hope this helps.

Mike

i was gonna say the od button too. i do that in my tbird at times

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The issues you are seeing are just part of computer controlled transmissions. Yes you could get someone to write you a tune for 'spirited mountain driving' by adjusting shift points vs. rpm vs. TPS, but then your tranny wouldn't work so well when you are cruising on flat surfaces.
Well, that's a bit of an exageration and we are talking about a custom tune here from the sig...

I'd start with the OD switch as above and then go back to RET with some data and see if they can adjust it...

There are a couple tables in there that _should_ allow them to provide you better behavior which doesn't compromise flat surface driving...

Mountain driving puts you in the corners of the chart with regard to load vs RPM vs speed, so odds are that part of the tune is not well optimized - but only RET can answer that for you...

As I have only played with the manual, I was a little surprised to see throttle position rather than "load" as one of the primary factors in the shifting curves - but TP presumably has less latency than calculated load... They used to use vacuum as an indication of "load" in "olden times". TP vs RPM seems to me like a rather crude approximation, but hey what do I know?

At any rate, even in its relatively primitive state, the tuning of these trans is pretty flexible, but the nuances of flat WOT at higher RPM and high load, low speed mountain driving require more careful thought to the tune...

So, I would guess there is some flexibility left to improve things in there for you...

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Or you could just say heck with it all and find a MVB.
Well, I don't know how anyone wouldn't stop at the dealership and trade for a stick if they liked to corner carve in the mountains - that's 1/2 the fun....

I love trying to time the off ramps and turns to see how fast I can get through without braking....

Greg@RET

Mad Torque Inc.
Reaction score
When you bring it in for the other stuff, I can load a couple trans values I have made for the autos.

Error404

photographer
Reaction score
Well, I don't know how anyone wouldn't stop at the dealership and trade for a stick if they liked to corner carve in the mountains - that's 1/2 the fun....
Like I said, I don't know how to drive a manual very well. I also have a few modifications done (mainly gears and whipple) to my car, so I'd be loosing a considerable amount of money if I did a trade in. :) I'm not sure how well the whipple would transfer over to another car.

Yes you could get someone to write you a tune for 'spirited mountain driving' by adjusting shift points vs. rpm vs. TPS, but then your tranny wouldn't work so well when you are cruising on flat surfaces. Learn to live with it and just keep the selector in 3.

The B&M shifter will help me keep it in 3rd! I have been anxiously waiting for that shifter, but it seems like it will never come out :boohoo: haha!

When you bring it in for the other stuff, I can load a couple trans values I have made for the autos.
Sounds good!! :)

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Like I said, I don't know how to drive a manual very well. I also have a few modifications done (mainly gears and whipple) to my car, so I'd be loosing a considerable amount of money if I did a trade in. :) I'm not sure how well the whipple would transfer over to another car.
Speaking figuratively of course - these transmissions really make it a harder decision than it ever has been before... Used to be a no brainer that the slushbox versions were just no fun at all to drive... Now they are easier to drive and easier to drive fast at the track...

Oh well - I am in it for the challenge... Good luck with your tune tweak...

Error404

photographer
Reaction score
That just depends on your skill with a manual I guess...
I didnt intend this to be a manual V/S auto thread, so I hope we can keep it clear of that :thumb: I currently have an auto, and I'm going to see if my issues can be resolved (with the shifter and some tuning) and still keep the auto :)

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Only issue I have, is that it would probably be way to easy to accidentally bump the shifter down into 2nd or 1st gear because there are NO hard stops on the shifter inbetween 1st and Drive!!
I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think the car would downshift unless it was safe to do so.

Error404

photographer
Reaction score
I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think the car would downshift unless it was safe to do so.
at a stop, if you put the shifter into 3rd, the transmission goes into 3rd while you are stopped! Kind of like a manual valve body, but somehow it isn't I guess (computer stuff?). I'm not going to try putting it in 1st or 2nd on the freeway :-D

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
at a stop, if you put the shifter into 3rd, the transmission goes into 3rd while you are stopped!
That's true... it allows that because it won't hurt the tranny to be in a higher gear. I do something similar all the time... I do my burnouts in 2nd gear, then shift to "D" to make the run.

GI Joe

Reaction score
I ran a tune for over a year that never let my car go into O/D until the car hit exactly 63 mph. I got tired of the downshifting in town...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back