automatic shifter column issues

Discussion in '2005+ Ford Mustang v6 4.0L Tech' started by Apexmaster35, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Apexmaster35

Apexmaster35 Junior Member

the automatic shifter column is loose, and causes issues at times to put in drive. see video. how can I fix this?

2. Juice

Juice forum member

I would replace the shifter, just because its beat up. lol

3. Macman45

Macman45 Resident Geriatric

Thats jsut the trim, its probably got some cracks underneath where the tabs have broken from use/heat. As Juice said just replace the shifter.

4. Apexmaster35

Like which part? Do you mean the entire shift housing?
    Where can I find one

5. hobojck

hobojck Junior Member

The whole shifter will need to be replaced. It won't be long before you won't be able to get it in gear. Expensive item if you go to the dealer. Best place either a local salvage yard or ebay. Your also missing the trim piece that covers the gap around the shifter and the console.

6. Macman45

Macman45 Resident Geriatric

Whole shifter housing. Basically everything in your video plus the underside. And Hobo is right, youre missing a trim piece that is exacerbating the issue

7. Apexmaster35

I have trim piece. I removed it to show how much it moves. Just ordered the shifter assembly. Looks pretty easy to swap out.

8. Apexmaster35

install new shifter column and new plastics on the cable, shift perfect

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.