Axle covered in oil

slagburn

forum member
Reaction score
Turkey baster breather TSB helped mine a lot, that won't take care of whatever noise you're hearing though. Clutch packs?

DUFUS

forum member
Reaction score
Well dropped her off this morning, and they called me about noon and said they are replacing the breather and it should be done by tomorrow. Hopefully they know to change my gear oil since half of it was covering my axle.
If they overfill it (which can be common) the problem will come back in spades. I wouldn't expect that alone to cure any noises either, but maybe you'll get lucky.
Being a pessimist, especially when it comes to dealers' service, I'd say they are taking the easiest/cheapest route first, and hoping it's a solution.

Grabber5.sl0w

forum member
Reaction score
Well maybe I was lucky, I ended up knowing the mechanic that worked on my car and he pretty much did everything right. He said he put a "redesigned" breather from Ford in, and new axle tube seals. He also emptied and refilled my gear oil. All the noise I was hearing before is also gone. And to top if all off, it was all covered under warranty without me even saying anything! :clap:

Hopefully this new breather will perform better than the last one.

anarchyx914

forum member
Reaction score
MY 2011 GT had this issue, and it was ongoing. To the point where I would have a puddle on my garage floor after spirited driving (puddle was probably 10-15 drops of oil).

I since traded my 11 GT for a 10 GT500 lol, had too many issues including the horribly loud engine tick, decided to get rid of it.

On a side note, you can probably install the ford racing girdle to allow for better cooling and more gear fluid, also I know for the GT500KRs they make a small tank that mounts, and the hot fluid from the rear end runs into that, and then runs back down into the rear when it cools back down.

I think it was either JLT or Steeda that makes a similar device, it allows the oil to go through the bleeder valve into the "reserve tank".

I also think its either the 2013 boss, or 2013 gt500 with trackpack that comes with a rear end oil cooler.. Its like a small passive radiator of sorts. Its not uncommon for there to be oil on the axle.

wicked400ex

Reaction score
I've been hearing a strange rattle noise in low rpms coming from my rear, so I jacked it up, and I ran into this. My driver side part of the axle is covered in what looks like oil. It looks to be slowly leaking out of the tube.
View attachment 37398

I'm thinking about turning it in under warranty but I'm not sure if they will service it due to the tune. Any suggestions?

REAR DRIVE AXLE VENT—OIL LEAK TSB 12-8-15
FORD:
2011-2013 Mustang
ISSUE
Some 2011-2013 Mustang vehicles with the rear OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: 12-05-08
axle vent on the left (driver) side may exhibit a fluid WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of
leak from the rear axle vent. New Vehicle Limited
Warranty Coverage
ACTION Warranty/ESP coverage
Follow the Service Procedure to correct the limits/policies/prior approvals
condition. are not altered by a TSB.
Warranty/ESP coverage
SERVICE PROCEDURE limits are determined by the
identified causal part and
1. Inspect the rear drive axle assembly for an oil verified using the OASIS
leak from the rattle cap vent located on the left part coverage tool.
side of the vehicle.
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
a. If oil is dripping from the axle tube vent, 120815A 2011-2013 Mustang: 0.4 Hr.
proceed to Step 2. Inspect, Clean And Reseal
The Rear Axle Vent,
b. If only light oil residue is around the rattle Includes Time To Adjust
cap vent, this is a normal condition. This Fluid Level (Do Not Use
article does not apply. With Any Other Labor
2. Remove the rattle cap vent from the axle tube. Operations)
Clean any oil residue from the axle tube using DEALER CODING
Motorcraftâ Metal Brake Parts Cleaner. CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
3. Apply Motorcraftâ Thread Sealant with PTFE to 4010 42
rattle cap vent threads, reinstall the rattle cap
vent and torque to 20 N•m (15 lb-ft).
4. Check fluid level and set the level 5 mm
(3/16²) below the fill hole.
PART NUMBER PART NAME
XY-75W140-QL Motorcraftâ SAE 75W-140
Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant
XL-3 Motorcraftâ Additive Friction
Modifier
PM-4-A Motorcraftâ Metal Brake Parts
Cleaner
TA-24 Motorcraftâ Thread Sealant with
PTFE
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do
the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper
vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a
Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine
Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article.The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was
current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates.The most recent information is available
through Ford Motor Company’s on-line technical resources.
Copyright ã 2012 Ford Motor Company Online Publication Date August 17, 2012 PAGE 1

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I think on the 5.0 exhaust it ends up touching the pipe. I recall something about using a different vent location, I think on the '11+ maybe they have a spot to mount a vent in the differential cover or something?

Surfergeek

forum member
Reaction score
To solve the problem once and for all you can get one of these as well:

http://www.revanracing.com/products/bobs-auto-sports-axle-reservoir.html

KR Style Axle Reservoir, puts a tank above the axle, fluid heats up, goes to the reservoir, fluid cools down, it drains back into the axle.

I put on one my car, it's a very well manufactured and nicely designed piece. No more fluid everywhere.

Grabber5.sl0w

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, I jacked it up when I got home that night and they put the turkey baster looking thing on. They tip was melted as soon as I got home but as far as I know it's still working.

To solve the problem once and for all you can get one of these as well:

http://www.revanracing.com/products/bobs-auto-sports-axle-reservoir.html

KR Style Axle Reservoir, puts a tank above the axle, fluid heats up, goes to the reservoir, fluid cools down, it drains back into the axle.

I put on one my car, it's a very well manufactured and nicely designed piece. No more fluid everywhere.

Nice find! Thanks man

Grabber5.sl0w

forum member
Reaction score
Well two years and about 12k miles later, same issue has appeared. The picture really doesn't do it justice for how much oil there is covering the axel tube.

IMG_2425_v2_zps522ee266.png~original

You can tell that it must have spewed out of the vent tube everywhere, including my exhaust and panhard bar. This cannot be normal. I'll be taking it back to the Ford dealer tomorrow morning. Curious to see if I am going to have to fight to have them pay for it due to it being out of warranty.

Last edited:

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
Given the documented problems with Ford's "solution" to this issue I just went ahead and installed a JLT Axle Expansion Tank.

http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=357_399&products_id=642

If you decide to do the same, be gentle with the fitting that screws into the axle where the vent was (the OEM vent gets transplanted to the expansion tank) as it's just aluminum and very small so it's easy to damage. In my case when just trying to push the hose onto it, the fitting rocked back, stripping the threads. To JLT's credit they immediately provided me with a new one at no cost.

They recommend supporting the opposite side of the fitting when pushing the hose on and to lube the ID of the hose with some oil or grease to reduce the amount pushing force needed.

Anyway, after installation and cleaning everything up with some brake cleaner spray, I took my car up on Mulholland Canyon and chased some motorcycles around and nary a drop of oil is evident on the outside of the axle now. Seems like a good fix.

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
Te way I'd be tempted to fix this is plug that hole on the driver side and drill one on the pass side tube and tap it, install original vent. The cars with the vent over there just didn't have this problem.

J.Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
Should still be covered under the "POWERTRAIN" warranty (not necessarily the 3 yr/36k bumper-to-bumper warranty).

The new/updated fix is to put the finned aluminum cover from the GT500 on with a breather cap installed on the top of it and cap off the one that is on the axle.

I just had this done. Brought it in last year for leaking breather vent. They replaced/fixed it. Was leaking again this year and brought it back one day over my 3 years...guy said it didn't matter (I was prepared for battle) since it was still covered under POWERTRAIN.

They capped the old vent, installed the new diff cover with vent on top, replaced diff fluid and sent me on my way. No charge...and no complaints on my end.

70monte

Reaction score
Should still be covered under the "POWERTRAIN" warranty (not necessarily the 3 yr/36k bumper-to-bumper warranty).

The new/updated fix is to put the finned aluminum cover from the GT500 on with a breather cap installed on the top of it and cap off the one that is on the axle.

I just had this done. Brought it in last year for leaking breather vent. They replaced/fixed it. Was leaking again this year and brought it back one day over my 3 years...guy said it didn't matter (I was prepared for battle) since it was still covered under POWERTRAIN.

They capped the old vent, installed the new diff cover with vent on top, replaced diff fluid and sent me on my way. No charge...and no complaints on my end.

I installed the GT500 aluminum cover last year because I wanted to keep the fluid cooler. At that point the axle tube vent wasn't leaking. A couple of months ago I noticed it was slightly leaking so I removed the vent from the axle tube and installed it in the diff cover and put the diff cover plug in the axle tube. I haven't noticed any more fluid seeping out the axle tube or any coming out the top of the diff cover.

I wish I knew that Ford was going to start installing the aluminum diff cover to fix this issue so I could have saved myself about $150 between the cover and fluid.

Wayne

Will51

forum member
Reaction score
Just brought mine to the dealer for the third time for this. The first two times they replaced the breather, the third time I had them install Ford racing 4.56 gears and they replaced it again.

Fast forward to today, I brought it to a different dealer because I moved to a different state, the level is OK but there's oil all over the axle again. They said the new gears must be causing it because they may not be shimmed right and are overheating.

I've put almost 8000 miles on these gears, if they were set up wrong I'd at least be hearing a noise by now and then I asked if the gears were the cause what about the two times before when the car was completely stock? Also, they are Ford racing gears installed at a Ford dealership, wouldn't they be warrantied anyway?

He just shrugged and asked if I wanted to pay the 4 hours of labor to tear the whole axle apart to diagnose the issue.

I guess I'm just going to buy the Steeda diff cover and relocate the breather.

This is the second time I've tried to have something warrantied and this is the second time I've had to shell out money for repairs because of denied warranty. The first time my steering wheel leather started peeling apart with only 10,000 miles on the car. They claimed it had to have been contaminated by some sort of liquid causing the issue. I ended up just buying a new wheel myself.

This is my first time buying a Ford brand new, it'll probably be the last.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back