Axle Reluctor Wheel and Wheel Studs

Joe combs

Reaction score
the abs rings are pressed onto the shafts...
seeing the post you had on drag radials, are you doing c-clip eliminators? If doing 1/4 mile I would do ARP wheel studs. Looking at your mod list, and the power you are putting down... to brake an axle and have the wheel come off would suck.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Just wondering if I should heat the rings and try and hammer them off or just get a couple of new ones. I have ARP studs on there now and wanted to reuse them. I think I can hammer those off without too much of an issues. Just wondering if I'm gonna damage the ring taking it off.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
No on studs being hammered out and reused even if they are ARP. Only a 'Primitive Pete' may do this. Studs are a press fit one time use item...even ARP spress fit studs.

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
No on studs being hammered out and reused even if they are ARP. Only a 'Primitive Pete' may do this. Studs are a press fit one time use item...even ARP spress fit studs.

That was my one concern was if it would have the same "bite" taking them out. I suppose the knurls get compressed and deformed when you press them in and they don't magically reappear when you take them out.

Laga

Reaction score
I have read that if you overheat the ring, or bend it out of shape (even a little bit) while trying to remove it, it won’t function properly. Something about changing the magnetic properties of the metal. This could be internet BS. As there is an abundance of that. Also, is the existing one corroded at all?
I would not reuse the lugs.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
That was my one concern was if it would have the same "bite" taking them out. I suppose the knurls get compressed and deformed when you press them in and they don't magically reappear when you take them out.

ive had to replace a few. the hub is the harder material. the studs give as pressed in. i used a nut and a pairnof washers along with a dab of grease. sandwich a dab of grease between the washers, put the wahers on and then run the nut down on the washers until the stud lines with the splines on the hub and bottoms out by hand and begin slowly wrenching. i used a 1/2 inch drive and deep well socket and pressed them by hand. i wanted to feel them pull in. near the end i switched to a breaker bar for a little more leverage. worked out fine.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
If you have a bearing separator that will fit behind the reluctor ring and a press large enough to get an axle in you can get them off. I had a machine shop remove the rings from my Strange axles because those suckers were tight. Installed new ARP screw in studs along with new bearings and seals at the same time because screw in studs can not be installed with the rings in place.

Mustang Terlingua

Reaction score
ARP makes threaded allen studs with a tapered head to clear the exciter ring. I used Strange Axles with threaded studs on my '08 Bullitt. And I put new rings on cuz Y'all ain't supposed to reuse according to shop manual. Everything fit cleared & works perfectly.

Mustang Terlingua

Reaction score
1/2"-20 x 2 1/2" Screw-in Stud
Tapered Allen Head Design

$3.25

Part Number: A1028A

Application
Strange Front Brake Kits

Screw-In Stud
• 1/2″-20 x 2 1/2″ *
• Grade 8 fully threaded bolt
• Rolled threads for maximum strength
• Tapered Allen head suits Strange front hubs
• 3/8″ allen wrench size

07 Boss

Reaction score
Well I reused the studs just because I couldn’t find any local and wanted to be done. Just heated them a bit and whacked them with a hammer and used the same method to put em in. Bought a new reluctor gear for the abs. Heated that up too and massaged it on there pretty easily.

Cleaned up the housing. Greased up the new seal and bearing and the axle slid in nicely.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back