Bad ball joints

Midnight00SE

forum member
Reaction score
I've done a search and come up with some useful information, but still want to find out which would be more worth while. Should I just upgrade to the Steeda X5 ball joints? Or do I just upgrade the whole control arm to the GT500 units?

Liftedbronco

Shredder
Reaction score
well...that all depends. is your car lowered? if yes, how? will you want to use smaller than 18" wheels?
Is this a daily driver? drag car? road racer?

Midnight00SE

forum member
Reaction score
Not lowered yet, but plan on it. Mostly a daily driver that sees the drag strip. I'm not planning on running anything smaller than a 18" in the front.

Scord

forum member
Reaction score
I upgraded to the gt500 front control arms and I also run Steeda x5 ball joints in them. I wouldn’t install them until you lower your car to be honest... Or at the very least check with our forum vender from Steeda '' Guss '' as the ball joints are made specifically for a lowered vehicle... it might actually hurt you suspension wise at stock height.

Good product though. I really have had no problems with any piece of Steeda suspension equipment. Top notch. I noticed a significant change between X5 ball joints and the stock GT500 ones… I would just install the x5 ball joints if you have the money to lower the car right now.

Liftedbronco

Shredder
Reaction score
well...honestly, the way to go would be this:

If you like a little more ride quality, get the gt500 arm. It has rubber bushings like your GT arms. The rubber is just a little harder.

If you want a little more impact harshness, but tighter steering feel, get some bmr A arms. They have poly and delrin bushings. Only issue wiht them is u gotta grease them from time to time.

I wouldnt bother with the steeda balljoints honestly unless you're crazy about handling and suspension setups. but u could always add them later (that is if they fit the bmr arms if thats your choice (anyone know?)

Midnight00SE

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like BMR may be the way I go. I don't mind some minor upkeep rather than have the rubbers go again in 30k.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
If you are interested in our arms, keep an eye out for a Christmas sale thread. ;)

Liftedbronco

Shredder
Reaction score
wait what? the rubber bushings are on the attachment points to the body of the car. they shouldnt be worn out. its your balljoints that are toast. and the same thing will likley happen on the new ones just as fast. perhaps faster since theyre aftermarket quality + firmer bushings.

either way, yea I just did bmr's.

Midnight00SE

forum member
Reaction score
Just to change the ball joints on the stock arms.

Maybe I'm completely mistaken, but wouldn't getting the BMR arms fix my issue?

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
, but wouldn't getting the BMR arms fix my issue?

Our arms come with OEM spec ball joints.

They also work on the factory K-Member, so yes....if you need to replace ball joints, our arms would fix your issue.

If you have any questions, shoot me a PM.

Liftedbronco

Shredder
Reaction score
yea so like, there would be no reason to replace balljoints in your stock arms. even ford reccomends just replacing the whole arm.

so with that, get those bmr arms and be done with it.

mustangdave

Reaction score
Well, the GT 500 arms have the same bad ball joints as the GT. There has been a TSB out. For a long time to replace the whole arm with a revised ball joint but it is rediculously expensive. If BMR uses the old b.j., you will haVe the same problem, so find out before purchasing. The only upgraded b.j.'s I know of are Steeda. There is another company makiing entire arms but I can' remember who right now.

Liftedbronco

Shredder
Reaction score
bmr, aje and race(something)

according to bbr the bmr is the way to go. thus thats what i got. i want to keep it out there that the steeda balljoints arent an "upgrade" per say. Theyre just taller to correct geometry (roll center and camber available) in cars that are lowered alot.

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
i say do the x5 no matter what if you will be lowering the car. like stated above, it might hurt your performance at stock height but when you lower it should be great. i lowered mine and with just x5 my car aligned just fine and rides great.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
I also run Steeda x5 ball joints in them. I wouldn’t install them until you lower your car to be honest...as the ball joints are made specifically for a lowered vehicle... it might actually hurt you suspension wise at stock height...I would just install the x5 ball joints if you have the money to lower the car right now.

+1 :beer:

2014_GT

Bowtie Bitch-Slapper
Reaction score
It's easy to do your driveway and only takes about a half-hour per side. At least, that's how long it takes me. It helps to have the ball-joint tools which you can get from Harbor Freight for $40.

But, if you're asking about the $400 price for a mechanic, they're all overpriced so it's not surprising that's what they quoted.

Right, bad ball joints. Does 400 seem reasonable to have those replaced?

dustindu4

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I did my own ball joints a month ago. I got Moog parts from Rock Auto and had a friend with the ball joint tools. In addition to the press and adapters you need to remove/install them you need one of those spanner o-ring pliar tools (not really sure what you call it). There's a retaining ring you have to put in place to keep it from falling out.

Even with the right tools, I'm not going to lie to you, it wasn't easy. We broke one joint by accident, so I was into it for about $160 in parts when it was over. If you don't have the tools, do yourself a favor and just buy the $300 ford racing arms. I personally wanted the Moogs because they are guaranteed forever and the factory joints go bad at like 25k miles. I'm not planning on replacing them again. If your car has a lot of miles on it, might as well get new tie rods and put those in too. My car has 100k miles, so I figured it wouldn't hurt. You're going to need an alignment anyway.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back