Best forged wheels

David3388

Reaction score
Hi Everybody, just wanted some input on what the best reasonably priced lightweight forged wheels are. Thanks!

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Nice intro (1st post)...what's your projected budget on these?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
“Best” and affordable rarely go together.
Also define “best”. I’d say strongest and lightest. Then u r talking $1000+ a wheel

DieHarder

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just cheap but I find it hard to spend so much on wheels that I could have bought most/all of an entire rebuild w/forged engine components (sans crank) which would likely get me around 600/650 hp. I think I'd be happy with that (for awhile).

Still, if you're looking for decent wheels I've always liked HRE but can't justify pulling the trigger as I still would rather put money towards the engine vs another set of wheels (got 3 sets now so I probably could have bought them if I'd just saved and just bought once). Can't seem to say No to deals... ;D

Plenty of websites to peruse for custom/forged wheels: https://www.carid.com/custom-wheels...2762&msclkid=b3462b61672316142264490400e6e8c9

Personally, I think the best bang for the buck is probably flow formed. "If" I was going to spend that much money I'd opt for a set of these: https://www.carid.com/hre-wheels/ff04-liquid-metal-878603807.html

Good luck.

David3388

Reaction score
Hey guys! iceman my budget is 700- 1k ish, stkjock what’s a good company in your opinion for that price, thank you die harder. Mselva thanks I looked at the enkeis but would feel weird putting a wheel that Ricey on a mustang, although it is a great wheel. Just wondering if there was a go to for cheap light wheels, doesn’t necessarily have to be forged.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That 700-1000 is for a set of 4?

Greg D

Reaction score
Unless you're road racing the car, don't go with forged wheels. You can go a cast wheel, which is cheapest or go with a flow-formed wheel, which is middle-of-the-road for strength and less than half the price of forged. I'm now running flow-formed Apex EC-7s on my track car. Also, take a look at the SVE lineup. Some of their wheels are flow-formed.

If you're just showing and going, opt for a great-looking set of cast wheels.

Just my opinion.

David3388

Reaction score
I hear ya, those ec7s look good. VR forged has some good looking forged wheels for 750 ish but they are the same weight as the flow formed. A lot of wheels don’t even have the weight listed. The coolest ones I saw were litespeed forged magnesium for 15lbs a wheel and 1800 a piece. That’s almost too fancy for a regular 5.0 though.

Aerofinz

Reaction score
That’s almost too fancy for a regular 5.0 though.

Especially when you curb one!

Have you considered OEM GT500 wheels? '10-'11's had 19's (wheels were identical width even though the tires size were staggered from the factory) or later '13-'14's in staggered wheels (19/20").
They are forged, however heavy compared to what many expect of a forged wheel.
You could buy 2 complete sets (8 wheels) used for $1800 in "as new condition". I have 3 full sets of original takeoffs I inherited with a car purchase (non for sale). FWIW.

upload_2022-5-4_8-38-3.jpeg

Last edited:

David3388

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, here’s a quick comparison. Those the apex ec7rs are 18.7 lbs for the 18x9 size, and they cost 700$. Now compare that to the enkei gtco2 which are 20.4 lbs for the 18x9 size and they cost 400 ish. So the extra 300 bucks only saves you 1.7 lbs per wheel. Now I know that I said before when msvela posted to get the enkei pf01 that they were “too ricey” for a mustang, but when I looked at how much they weighed I was impressed, lighter than some forged wheels, albeit not as strong but how strong do they really need to be? (Keep in mind I’m going to run 18s in the front to save weight and so I’ll have plenty sidewall to protect the wheel) In any case I looked through their other wheels and the enkei gtc02 is pretty much the exact same weight as the pf01 but it isn’t as iconic so it isnt instantly recognizable as an import tuner wheel like the famous pf01, so I can get away with running it on a mustang a little easier. Plus the gtco2 comes in 19 in (pf01 only goes up to 18in) sizes so I can run 19s in the back which was my original plan. And the gtco2 has more spokes so it’s probably a bit stiffer. I think I found which wheel I’m gonna go with!

Aerofinz

Reaction score
FWIW, typically tire weights vary up to 3 lbs. per tire, same size & category between brands ("summer" 285/35/19 for example). Check Tire Rack.

Last edited:

David3388

Reaction score
Interesting, any good lightweight tires you recommend? I’ve heard the Firestone fire hawk Indy 500s are great

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Why are you hellbent for lightweight wheels and tires ? Are you planning on road racing the car ? What year is the car ? Curb one of those megabuck wheels, and you will have a bad day. Fords carbon fiber wheels used on the GT-350 are probably the lightest, but beyond stupid expensive. Same deal, curb it, toast, gets tossed.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back