Best HPDE Coyote clutch

larry Stark

Reaction score
I have a stock engine 2011 Mustang GT that I run in HPDE events. I just installed a brand new Exedy Mach 500 stage 2 clutch that lasted less than one 20 minute track session before blowing up. To make matters worse I have an Auto Blip kit to rev match. The problem is one I've had before. The rivets that hold the straps on the pressure to the cover shear when down shifting. All the clutch guys design the clutches for drag racing where the straps are always in tension. When you downshift these straps are loaded in compression and have a tendency to shear the retaining rivets. I need a recommendation for a clutch that will last on the track but will still be streetable. Thnx.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I put in a Centerforce Dual friction clutch when I did the coyote swap. 4 years of daily use, several HPDE events per year and zero issues. I probably have around 2000 track miles driven.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I put in a Centerforce Dual friction clutch when I did the coyote swap. 4 years of daily use, several HPDE events per year and zero issues. I probably have around 2000 track miles driven.
Do the DF Centerforces all use a segmented lining on one side now? I don't remember that they used to.

I'm kind of looking at one for my '08 when (if?) I ever get around to swapping the 3650 out for something with better ratios.

Norm

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, the dual friction clutch is like that.
The only issue I see for you Norm, is the trans choice. 12 vs 26 spline clutch disc. You need to decide on trans first, then clutch.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Yes, the dual friction clutch is like that.
The only issue I see for you Norm, is the trans choice. 12 vs 26 spline clutch disc. You need to decide on trans first, then clutch.
Thanks.

Yes, I'm aware of the spline count being different.

Years ago I put a DF between a SBC and a Tremec 3550 on a '79 Malibu and don't recall it using a segmented friction material on either side of it. I do remember needing to get a 26 spline disc though.

Norm

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Yes, I'm aware of the spline count being different.

Years ago I put a DF between a SBC and a Tremec 3550 on a '79 Malibu and don't recall it using a segmented friction material on either side of it. I do remember needing to get a 26 spline disc though.

Norm
I think you put a Stage 2 clutch in that Malibu.
I have a Centerforce Stage2 clutch in my Torino, it is not segmented. Back it those days, IIRC, Centerforce offered several clutches, rated by clamping force, "X percent stronger than stock". The DF is the top dog, 90% stronger over stock. Now, it seems DualFriction Centerforce is the only offering.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I'll have to see if I still have it, or at least the receipt. I don't remember ever buying a 'stage' clutch.

This would have been back around 1998 or so. I don't have the car any longer, but I did pull the engine & transmission and a few other items before letting it go.

Norm

larry Stark

Reaction score
I have a stock engine 2011 Mustang GT that I run in HPDE events. I just installed a brand new Exedy Mach 500 stage 2 clutch that lasted less than one 20 minute track session before blowing up. To make matters worse I have an Auto Blip kit to rev match. The problem is one I've had before. The rivets that hold the straps on the pressure to the cover shear when down shifting. All the clutch guys design the clutches for drag racing where the straps are always in tension. When you downshift these straps are loaded in compression and have a tendency to shear the retaining rivets. I need a recommendation for a clutch that will last on the track but will still be streetable. Thnx.

Update on my clutch failure. After towing car back to shop and disassembling clutch we were all shocked to find out clutch disk had grenaded sending shrapnel through the bell housing. Pressure plate, flywheel, disk hub and most of the friction material were intact. One of more of thin (.041") sheet metal segments holding the friction material to the disk had sheared rivets holding it to hub causing catastrophic failure. Note this is supposed to be an SFI1.1 rated racing clutch. It's not supposed to explode especially on a stock engine.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back