Best Street Tire?

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I also have the S-04s 285/35-19 all around. Great tire! I switched from 555s out back and V12s up front and grip is better everywhere straight line corners you name it.

Haven't tracked them or driving in the rain yet.

As for noise I hardly notice them any more than the V12s or 555s then again my exhaust is pretty loud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I just looked up the S-04s. the only thing that seems to turn me off about them is the 280 treadwear rating.

a big part of what turned me on about the nittos is the treadwear rating and price. I only have bolt ons so 275 nitto out back is not bad for me.

but I guess as the car gets faster and faster I will have to eventually trade treadwear and price to get the car to hold the power. there are cars out there making 500-600hp from the factory, they don't come with cheap tires....one would suppose there is a reason for that.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
So I've gone with a set of 275-35/19 UHP A/S tires from General Tires. This way I can rotate them. They've been reviewed pretty well for a tire with this aspect ratio. Living on a fixed income, I've gotta get some tires that last a bit longer. Time will tell if this was a good decision or not. I'm hoping they work out well. In the summer if I decide to go to a track, I can always get some DR's for the rear. I'll let folks know what I think of these as time passes and I get comfortable with them. With free shipping and a 10% off coupon I found online, I got four delivered for $830. I usually use Tirerack.com, but these same tires would of cost me $100 more from them due to shipping costs. I'm impressed as hell with Tirebuyer.com. I ordered yesterday and they got here today.

Had these put on yesterday. I'm doing some driving today, so will let you all know my impressions later.

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
G-Max's tend to wear out on the edges because of their inexpensive constructed of the sidewall. All though they are a good performance tire for what it's worth .

Last edited:

06gtimpact

forum member
Reaction score
I just looked up the S-04s. the only thing that seems to turn me off about them is the 280 treadwear rating.

a big part of what turned me on about the nittos is the treadwear rating and price. I only have bolt ons so 275 nitto out back is not bad for me.

but I guess as the car gets faster and faster I will have to eventually trade treadwear and price to get the car to hold the power. there are cars out there making 500-600hp from the factory, they don't come with cheap tires....one would suppose there is a reason for that.

In my opinion you can't base a tires performance on the tread wear. Remember the PSS still has a 300 UTQG and is often considered one of the stickier street tires out there.

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Manufactures rate their own tires for traction and tread wear. The whole system is a joke

That's the truth ...... I deal with ppl all day long on the bullshit . But the still think they are right.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
wow really?

well then now how do I weigh a tire correctly for my car!? my car is a daily driver hence treadwear is a factor. now what do I do?

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
wow really?

well then now how do I weigh a tire correctly for my car!? my car is a daily driver hence treadwear is a factor. now what do I do?

yup. Read reviews. Treadwear is a blind dart throw at best, but it's not worthless.

Also- the way you treat your tires can probably halve or double their lives, so treadwear is really an extreme general case.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
So far, I'm REALLY liking these G-Max tires. At first, with the recommended 32psi on the door label, they felt VERY "floaty" at any speed. So what do you do? Put them up to 40psi of course.

Now, they feel pretty damned good. Way better traction when it's raining. Recovers traction faster than the KDW's in the rain and dry for the temps we've been having, which is mostly in the low 70's with a few days of 60's. I imagine I'll be even happier with them once the temps get down into the 40's and 50's over the winter.

Braking traction is excellent in the rain and while a tad noisier, very good on dry roads. These tires are quieter than the KDW's were when they were new. The G-Max's also ride a LOT better over bumps and such even at 40psi. I've also wrung these tires out on corners and they are very predictable yet also grippy for their UTOG rating. The KDW's, again I wish to specify "in this temperature", were QUICK to let loose and LONG to recover. That can be easily explained by the UHP All-Season's compared to the KDW's Summer rating.

Once temps warm up, I'll have to remember to reach back here and update my thoughts on these tires. I've read some reviews where people say the sidewall is easily punctured by bumping a curb. I bumped one today getting out of the way of a bubbleheaded teenager driving in a fairly heavy downpour and there isn't even a scuff on the side walls. I do think I may have bent a rim though. Will try to get it balanced out. If not, will have to replace.

So far, for the price of these in a 275/35-19 all around, I'm pretty impressed.

helmsman

Reaction score
For a summer tire the Toyo T1 sport has been a great choice for me. Not that expensive [ $221 ea delivered ]. They helped me be the fastest car in the intermediate group at a track day earlier this year. Like any summer tire not as good in the cold. I just drive more like a grandpa in the winter season. Others I considered in the same price & performance range were Nitto NT05 or Cooper RS3. The RS3 is a softer version of the RS3s but hard to find. The Coopers are made in the USA

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back