Best Street Tire?

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Well, it's been raining and cold here in Ohio over the past few days and my 555s suck in these conditions. So much so that even with just a tuner and CAI, I'm spinning everywhere. I'm really not trying to, but any sort of acceleration in these conditions and I'm loose. I've got the stock wheels that came on the car, so I'm going to put new tires on them for the winter and leave the Razors with 555s in the garage until Spring. Anyone have any advice on a good all-season/winter tire? This is my DD and I need something that can handle different conditions.

Not sure about the 555s, but they are supposed to be better than the 555Rs in rain. I have no problems driving the 555Rs in the rain, as long as I drive normal and don't floor it, I'm definitely not "spinning everywhere".

I think you might be doing it wrong. :stooges:

stang1971

forum member
Reaction score
for me the stock p zero neros work great.... great traction in rain... and did ok in the snow last year...

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Well, it's been raining and cold here in Ohio over the past few days and my 555s suck in these conditions. So much so that even with just a tuner and CAI, I'm spinning everywhere. I'm really not trying to, but any sort of acceleration in these conditions and I'm loose. I've got the stock wheels that came on the car, so I'm going to put new tires on them for the winter and leave the Razors with 555s in the garage until Spring. Anyone have any advice on a good all-season/winter tire? This is my DD and I need something that can handle different conditions.

You could ask your tuner to take some of the commanded torque out of the dbw tables. Maybe put the tables to stock for a winter tune that won't command a bunch of torque at light throttle.

08StangGT_CS

forum member
Reaction score
I've had the 555Rs for about a year and 4K miles. They've done me good as a street tire. Even driven them in the rain a couple of times and did much better than expected. Not much use of them at the track although I didn't air them down.

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've ran about 5 sets each of the 555 and 555R DR. The 555 makes a great front tire, but over 400 rwhp you really need to step up to the DR. I've had the 555R DR last about 13,500 miles, but that was low strip use, just a few passes. Driving in the rain, I feel the DR has just as good of traction as the regular 555, no problems at all.

The 555 DR is squirmy though, you feel her butt jiggling all over the place in a turn.

08redgt

forum member
Reaction score
I've ran about 5 sets each of the 555 and 555R DR. The 555 makes a great front tire, but over 400 rwhp you really need to step up to the DR. I've had the 555R DR last about 13,500 miles, but that was low strip use, just a few passes. Driving in the rain, I feel the DR has just as good of traction as the regular 555, no problems at all.

The 555 DR is squirmy though, you feel her butt jiggling all over the place in a turn.

How was traction from like a 40 roll in second gear? As of now I spin and then almost go sideways shifting into third. And I don't track my car, so hopefully the tires will last

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How was traction from like a 40 roll in second gear? As of now I spin and then almost go sideways shifting into third. And I don't track my car, so hopefully the tires will last

Traction is great. If I just roll on it at 40 mph in second I get no spin, and even popping the clutch into third may only get a quick bark. This is on regular, dry asphalt at 50 degrees and up. Matter of fact, traction is so good I snapped the input shaft going into 3rd gear a few weeks ago, so I guess the tires are better than my stock 10 spline input shaft.

I have 3.55s, so YMMV.

08redgt

forum member
Reaction score
I saw your thread, I'm still on the stock clutch and probably have 50lbs less torque since it's a centri, sorry to hear that though :/

Hopefully I'll get them tomorrow.

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
Michillin super sports hands down for a strictly street tire, i also use mine during auto x and the are super sticky for the type of tire they are

I agree with this. On a dry road course, they will run similar lap times to the Pilot Sport Cups until they overheat. They are also great tires in the rain.

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
If you want a cheaper alternative to Michelin, you can try the BFG KDW2's. The plus is they have excellent wet performance and the tread lasts a long time (in addition to looking cool).

bfg_gforceta_kdw2_ci2_l.jpg

I had them int he past. They were the noisiest tire I've ever had on a vehicle. They made off road truck tires seem quiet.

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had them int he past. They were the noisiest tire I've ever had on a vehicle. They made off road truck tires seem quiet.

I have heard this many times over the past 7 years from KDW owners.

"KDW2s are quiet" said no Mustang driver ever.

Careener

forum member
Reaction score
I think you'll like the 555r.
It served me well at 420rwhp and held its own at 500.
Was o.k. in the rain too, now I'm not talking performance driving just getting home.
Tried some variety recently and went with Mickey T sportsman s/r's
DO NOT LIKE!!!!!

What is the issue with the Mickey Ts?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Al07Gt

Reaction score
I'm looking to get new summer tires really soon. I have pretty much narrowed it down to BFG KDW2's and Continental Extreme contact DW. Anyone that has experience with the Continental, feedback would be much appreciated. (Grip,ware,comfort,etc.)

tehdixie

the empire business
Reaction score

I've had them on two different Mustangs and it never bothered me. Even on a Fox with no carpet or sound deadening.

Godzirra

Asian Idiot
Reaction score
I've got KDW2's as well (275F/335R) and I have close to 10k on them. Car is louder than noise. I had a set on srt4 from factory, not bad. Then I also had a set on a Civic Si Sedan. The pilot sports are better, had them on my Bmw and the civic as well. But you pay for them.

wckdgt

forum member
Reaction score

im currently running these right now, as far as performance they are awesome wet or dry. but yes they are loud as hell!

lethe

V4g!n@ #er
Reaction score
I'm looking to get new summer tires really soon. I have pretty much narrowed it down to BFG KDW2's and Continental Extreme contact DW. Anyone that has experience with the Continental, feedback would be much appreciated. (Grip,ware,comfort,etc.)

I have the continentals and they seem okay. I've only put 1500 miles on them so i don't have much feedback on them yet.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
What is the issue with the Mickey Ts?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Garbage tire!
They can't handle the power anywhere near aswell as the 555r did.
Not a drag radial though.
But as advertised they say "increased wet weather performance" compared to what? A greased donut?
Sketchy performance in the wet at best.
I bought them specifically for better wet weather traction.
If a set of drag radials perform better than these, that should tell you they are all about the look.
Corners where the 555r held their line, the Mt's slid around on me.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score

I have a pair on the front, they are quiet, low miles though.
I will replace the rear Mickey thompsons with these aswell in a couple of weeks.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back