Best Street Tire?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Just drove the Mickey street tires in the rain over 60. No issues.

cop on my back

forum member
Reaction score
I have the Invo's too for a year now. Lots more grip than the BFG kdws and a WHOLE lot quieter. The tread pattern always draws questions

When these tires get hot they grip wicked IMO. I have road coursed them and reeled in guys running R compounds no problem. Mind you, they were not driving the right line.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
Just drove the Mickey street tires in the rain over 60. No issues.

It wasn't the over 60 that was my problem.
I found that they were terrible in slower speed corners.

But I'm glad they are working for you.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
It wasn't the over 60 that was my problem.
I found that they were terrible in slower speed corners.

But I'm glad they are working for you.

Perhaps you got some bad tires, they are working great for me, much better than my Nitto NT555's

Doc013

forum member
Reaction score
Running Continental Extreme contact DW. Picked up my first set used 255/40/19's all the way around. Very sticky tire, and very good in the rain. That being said it is a summer tire, so here in FL it's perfect. Our shell rock roads tear up whatever you put on, and if you live here your never going to get 30k out of them. Now going to a staggered setup with 285's out back, as I was tractionally challenged. If I didn't have the Conti's I'd run Invo's. Many in our club do, and feel you can't go wrong with either brand.

Al07Gt

Reaction score
I just put on my Conti DW tires. There 265/35/18 fronts and 295/35/18 rear. I love them so far! I have yet to try them in the rain though.

06gtimpact

forum member
Reaction score
How many miles can one reasonably expect to get out of them?

I'm also looking at the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position and the Cooper Zeon RS3-S (haven't really heard anything about this tire).

Just bought a set of 19" SVTPP wheels, so I'm also interested in if anyone has any experience with the s-04 or re-11. Price on both is reasonable, I just wonder if the s-04 will have enough grip or the re-11 will wear too quickly.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just bought a set of 19" SVTPP wheels, so I'm also interested in if anyone has any experience with the s-04 or re-11. Price on both is reasonable, I just wonder if the s-04 will have enough grip or the re-11 will wear too quickly.

Indeed. If I switch my wheels out during the winter, which is my plan, it'll extend the life, but I don't want to need new summer tires after only 10-15k miles.

Also, the Continental ExtremeContact DW looks like a decent choice...lightweight tire with a decent treadwear rating.

claudermilk

Reaction score
I ended up getting the S-04 recently (bumped from the stock 255-40/19 to 285-35/19). I haven't been able to get them out to an autocross to really push them, but they are much grippier than the stock craptastic Pirellis. For street driving, they are more sure-footed but the compromise is there is more tread noise--a small concern considering the kind of car we are talking about.

My plans for hitting the CalClub event next week just got killed, so my next opportunity will be the Goodguys Del Mar Sunday American Muscle event, so that will be my first opportunity to really wring them out.

I was looking at the Contis myself, but the S-04 price and availability won out this time around.

06gtimpact

forum member
Reaction score
I ended up getting the S-04 recently (bumped from the stock 255-40/19 to 285-35/19). I haven't been able to get them out to an autocross to really push them, but they are much grippier than the stock craptastic Pirellis. For street driving, they are more sure-footed but the compromise is there is more tread noise--a small concern considering the kind of car we are talking about.

My plans for hitting the CalClub event next week just got killed, so my next opportunity will be the Goodguys Del Mar Sunday American Muscle event, so that will be my first opportunity to really wring them out.

I was looking at the Contis myself, but the S-04 price and availability won out this time around.

looking forward toward hearing your results.

BigRed06GT

forum member
Reaction score
I also have the S-04s 285/35-19 all around. Great tire! I switched from 555s out back and V12s up front and grip is better everywhere straight line corners you name it.

Haven't tracked them or driving in the rain yet.

As for noise I hardly notice them any more than the V12s or 555s then again my exhaust is pretty loud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Hey folks. Just wanted to chime in this thread a bit and let you all know the direction I've gone with tires.

I've been running the KDW II's for a while now. I LOVE the lateral grip in the summer months. Anytime the temps are in the 80's, they rock.

Just for reference, I've got 3.55 gears, LCA's with relocation brackets, Adj PHB, lowered on Steeda Ultralights and Koni STR.T struts and shocks. With my mods, the last time I was on a dyno with 68° air at 45% humidity, I put down 419/393 to the rear wheels.

I can spin the KDW's easily in first and second. Hit second even slightly hard and if your PHB isn't adjusted correctly, you go sideways. I have run 255/35-19 up front and 275-35/19 out back. The fronts have lasted and are still in good condition. But I have now gone through two sets of rears. And BFG isn't making the 275-35 anymore as far as I can tell. You can buy old stock, but they want some coinage for them. And this is in temps of 98°. Doing hard corners/sweeping turns, throttle modulation is a must to keep them planted, but they do surprisingly well in warmer conditions!!

In the cooler months, for Florida anyway, where day time temps are in the low 60's to low 50's, the KDW's were worthless. Spin like crazy any time I was trying to really accelerate. In the rain, they work very well all year round but still, even in the heat of summer with the temps in the high 90's, I could get a LOT of wheel spin in 4th above 4k RPM and 5th above 5k. IF I were stabbing the go pedal. If I missed a rev match on down shift, the rears would lock up in the rain even with all the electronics turned on. When temps get down into the high 30's for a couple of weeks each year, it's like driving on squares. These tires develop flat spots overnight. On a warm day, the tires are rounded out and running good within a mile. When it's cold, they seem to stay lumpy.

As they wear, they get louder and louder. At first, it isn't bad at all. With this second set of rear tires, I've allowed them to go all the way down to the wear marks. And into the wear marks. These damned things are louder than my exhaust now! Also, I wanted to get out in front of traffic the other day and got on it. 82° outside and the tires were already hot. Slide like crazy and the back left tire had internal belt slippage that made it FEEL like I had blown a tire. After sitting for 30 minutes and then slowly driving up to highway speed, the belts inside the tire must have gone back to their original locations because it drove just fine.

So the plus for the KDW's is AWESOME performance in warm to hot weather. Lateral acceleration is tremendous. I've pulled at 1.120G lateral curve on surface streets at WOT in 3rd at 70mph. Straight line is pretty good too. But I'm calming way down on that these days.

So I've gone with a set of 275-35/19 UHP A/S tires from General Tires. This way I can rotate them. They've been reviewed pretty well for a tire with this aspect ratio. Living on a fixed income, I've gotta get some tires that last a bit longer. Time will tell if this was a good decision or not. I'm hoping they work out well. In the summer if I decide to go to a track, I can always get some DR's for the rear. I'll let folks know what I think of these as time passes and I get comfortable with them. With free shipping and a 10% off coupon I found online, I got four delivered for $830. I usually use Tirerack.com, but these same tires would of cost me $100 more from them due to shipping costs. I'm impressed as hell with Tirebuyer.com. I ordered yesterday and they got here today.

Last edited:

moostang09

Resident YouTube Guy
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So there's a lot of back and forth about the NT555's, which is what I was looking at getting for my basically stock 5.0. I can get them in a 275/35/19 for my RTRs for $173 a tire? Is that a decent enough deal to get into those tires?

Mind you I do NOT daily drive it, NO drag racing yet but I am looking into autox.

I also debated running NT05's on all four corners but idk of that's overkill or not?

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
So there's a lot of back and forth about the NT555's, which is what I was looking at getting for my basically stock 5.0. I can get them in a 275/35/19 for my RTRs for $173 a tire? Is that a decent enough deal to get into those tires?

Mind you I do NOT daily drive it, NO drag racing yet but I am looking into autox.

I also debated running NT05's on all four corners but idk of that's overkill or not?

If you want to AutoX, depending on what your budget is, I would say NT05's are fairly decent underkill (if that's what's in the budget though, go for it! Not bad for the price). BFG Rival, Hankook RS3, Yokohama AD08, are worth a hard look.

moostang09

Resident YouTube Guy
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you want to AutoX, depending on what your budget is, I would say NT05's are fairly decent underkill (if that's what's in the budget though, go for it! Not bad for the price). BFG Rival, Hankook RS3, Yokohama AD08, are worth a hard look.

Definitely am looking for budget friendly, and seeing that I have yet to do any AutoX events idk what in getting into out there. Lol

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Definitely am looking for budget friendly, and seeing that I have yet to do any AutoX events idk what in getting into out there. Lol

well in that case, the NT05's will be fine. Autocross is more fun the worse your tires are anyway. Get the widest, squarest setup you can. 275/35/19 square would be great.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back