Bleeding brakes

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Quick question. After searching the internet I'd like to know how YOU guys suggest bleeding the front brakes. Do you start with the caliper CLOSER to the reservoir....ie....drivers side caliper first or the one FURTHEREST from the reservoir...ie...passenger side caliper.

I've never thought it mattered but I guess it does.:question:

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Actually I believe the recommended approach is to do all four in this order - PSR, DSR, PSF and lastly DSF.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Since you are only replacing the front calipers, you might be able to get away with only bleeding the fronts. Passenger side first , then driver. If you are going to bleed them all, do it in the order Scott said.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Actually I believe the recommended approach is to do all four in this order - PSR, DSR, PSF and lastly DSF.

Just curious, but since the only air that should be in the system would be closer to the front brakes since that's all I changed. Would trying to bleed the back brakes introduce air bubbles all the way to the rear of the car which would make bleeding the system SUCK even moreso than it already does just trying to bleed the front only???

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score

This is correct, Sequence is always furthest from the Master Cylinder first. Also if you are bleeding them by pumping the pedal it is very important that the person pumping the pedal does it slowly. Firm slow strokes of the pedal work best. Pumping the pedal too fast will cause aeration when the air bubble breaks up and now it is harder to remove the air!

ExSRT8Guy

Been There, Done That
Reaction score
Since you are only replacing the front calipers, you might be able to get away with only bleeding the fronts. Passenger side first , then driver. If you are going to bleed them all, do it in the order Scott said.

This.

This is correct, Sequence is always furthest from the Master Cylinder first. Also if you are bleeding them by pumping the pedal it is very important that the person pumping the pedal does it slowly. Firm slow strokes of the pedal work best. Pumping the pedal too fast will cause aeration when the air bubble breaks up and now it is harder to remove the air!

And this. The advice to pump the pedal slowly is really good!

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
Darren,

Motive Power (motiveproducts.com) makes a handy little pressure bleeder - don't need a second person to help. I used one for my old '98 GT and it made brake bleeding a lot easier. I don't know if they have the cap for the +2010 Mustangs but a phone call would get that question answered pretty quickly.

HTH,

Chris

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Darren please make sure the brakes are bled properly. I dont want to wreck the car on my way back to Texas!

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Darren,

Motive Power (motiveproducts.com) makes a handy little pressure bleeder - don't need a second person to help. I used one for my old '98 GT and it made brake bleeding a lot easier. I don't know if they have the cap for the +2010 Mustangs but a phone call would get that question answered pretty quickly.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks Chris. A guy local to me has been nice enough to lend me this exact product.

Again, thanks for all the input too guys especially the order of calipers to bleed.

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
Darren when you bleed the brembo start with inside bleeder and then the outside bleeder. I only bled the front brakes.

Last edited:

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I have a Motive, and started from the Right rear. Also you will need to pump the clutch a bit too since it shares the fluid. I waited until the left front to pump the clutch.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I have a Motive, and started from the Right rear. Also you will need to pump the clutch a bit too since it shares the fluid. I waited until the left front to pump the clutch.

Broscience

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Darren when you bleed the brembo start with inside bleeder and then the outside bleeder. I only bled the front brakes.

Thanks a million! I was talking to the guy I borrowed the Motive bleeder kit from and we weren't sure on this.

Thanks!!!!

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
Just to be safe you might want to cover the caliper with blue tape to protect the paint. Also keep a spray bottle of water near by in the event you get brake fluid on the caliper. This will help neutralize the corrosiveness if you get a spill or drip. That's what I did and I'm glad I did. Before you start make sure the bleeders are tight.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
Strange, I was always taught to do the front left first.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back