Boss Intake ???

Wish I Had a Nice Car

forum member
Reaction score
plus 5th is not as easy to shift fast as 1-4 are

it is the most pain in the ass shift ever, and it comes on so damn quick. it just feels akward, like your throwing the shifter out into right field or something.

But at the same time, that tranny ratio is sort of why these cars are so quick, always in the power.

Intervention

forum member
Reaction score
We've been pretty straight forward with our testing.

We tested it on a car here back to back.
Boss lost power down low and showed a power increase after the stock intake dropped off, maybe 20hp @ 7600rpms. Peak was about the same its peak was at 7600 but only maybe 5-7hp more. It just moved it's peak way up in the rpm range

With Cams and Heads it's the way to go. I was dissappointed with the results with cams and the boss with stock heads. The stocker crushed it downlow and had a higher Peak HP number. It just messed with the curve. Not in a good way

Do you have that chart?

That was my plan for this year. STOCK heads with your JPC cams and the Boss manifold

Or is it better to do the cams and keep the stock manifold and just shift around 7-7200?

tommygodfrey

JPC Sales & Tech
Reaction score
Do you have that chart?

That was my plan for this year. STOCK heads with your JPC cams and the Boss manifold

Or is it better to do the cams and keep the stock manifold and just shift around 7-7200?
IMG_4522.jpg

Intervention

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like the best bet is just to do the JPC cams and shift lower in the RPM band.

I'll spend my money else where

RSKtakR

Reaction score
damn that graph w/ the stock intake and JPC cams is pretty good!! I REALLY want the BOSS intake, but I also would want to throw on the JPC cams and stage 3 cnc ported heads.. BUT Im leary of doing the head swap myself, so I would have to pay a shop to do it for me which wont be cheap at all. I have 3.31's in the car now and the manual, i bought some 4.10's but had found out a couple weeks ago that 3.90's would be the way to go.. I dont drag race the car much at all as its my only car now. I think the heads, cams, boss intake, full exhaust w/ E85 would be a pretty nasty combo to w/ the right gearing.

Kingcrabb

forum member
Reaction score
Why does the Boss intake kill the power of the JPC Cams?
What about Boss intake and Comp Cams when they come out (more lift).

JJ@WMS

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW there will be several track results with all different combos using the Boss intake very soon. The tracks on the east coast are just now opening up and more results are forthcoming. Do not base your decisions about what to purchase from dyno sheets alone. Our stock block 5.0 with Dynatech LT's and Boss intake will be hitting the track this weekend weather permitting and I will post up the unbiased real results.

Thanks,

JJ

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
Did you do a pull om the stock intake jpc cam combo the same day you swapped out the boss manifold to try and duplicate conditions, It's shocking that there is that much of a loss down low. Your cams look like the ticket for a street car.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The boss intake is the shit. Look past the small lost in the mid range to the FULL of WIN top end.

Im so glad I got mine before florida

Meister

forum member
Reaction score
I would like to see some real world testing to see the mph and quarter mile benefits with this intake. I find it impossible to believe the car will be faster if it is accelerating slower.

JJ@WMS

forum member
Reaction score
I would like to see some real world testing to see the mph and quarter mile benefits with this intake. I find it impossible to believe the car will be faster if it is accelerating slower.

Drive one with the intake and it will change your mind.

I'm dying to take ours to the track and only hope that the trans can keep up with the extra power and rpm's that this intake likes.

I dont race dyno's. :thumb2:

JJ

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
We've been pretty straight forward with our testing.

We tested it on a car here back to back.
Boss lost power down low and showed a power increase after the stock intake dropped off, maybe 20hp @ 7600rpms. Peak was about the same its peak was at 7600 but only maybe 5-7hp more. It just moved it's peak way up in the rpm range

With Cams and Heads it's the way to go. I was dissappointed with the results with cams and the boss with stock heads. The stocker crushed it downlow and had a higher Peak HP number. It just messed with the curve. Not in a good way
i know you guys have been straight with your testing. i am a big JPC fan, so im not dissing you guys.

what i was trying to say was like the FRPP 3V intake i think people had their expectations a little too high and the same things happened here. but you guys are doing great, keep it up :thumb2:

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
Not a general statement at all.

3.90, ~28" tire, 4th gear, ~7,500 = 120MPH

Shouldn't have to shift to 5th. That is a bad idea and have personally seen a MT-82 go south doing so.
You talking about mine? Oh and ride home suck with no 5th gear...haha..

Im not sure if mine took crap from shifting into 5th at the track or just issues ford has had with tranny. There are others having same issues as me and others with different gears as well.

I think staying in 4th is best bet though. Dont lose the power band at the end of the tarck.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
You talking about mine? Oh and ride home suck with no 5th gear...haha..

Im not sure if mine took crap from shifting into 5th at the track or just issues ford has had with tranny. There are others having same issues as me and others with different gears as well.

I think staying in 4th is best bet though. Dont lose the power band at the end of the tarck.

I am sure the multiple passes trying to get it in with some stickies didn't help. Hehehehe. ;)

That didn't hurt your ET at all but your MPH for sure. I think a 3.90 will be in my car soon. ;)

tommygodfrey

JPC Sales & Tech
Reaction score
damn that graph w/ the stock intake and JPC cams is pretty good!! I REALLY want the BOSS intake, but I also would want to throw on the JPC cams and stage 3 cnc ported heads.. BUT Im leary of doing the head swap myself, so I would have to pay a shop to do it for me which wont be cheap at all. I have 3.31's in the car now and the manual, i bought some 4.10's but had found out a couple weeks ago that 3.90's would be the way to go.. I dont drag race the car much at all as its my only car now. I think the heads, cams, boss intake, full exhaust w/ E85 would be a pretty nasty combo to w/ the right gearing.

I would stick with the 4.10's not a hugh difference between them and the 3.90's except the quality of the 3.90's are really lacking and 99% of the time noisy.

Why does the Boss intake kill the power of the JPC Cams?
What about Boss intake and Comp Cams when they come out (more lift).
It just doesn't have the low end power characteristics with the stock heads. It does kick butt with our CNC'ed heads. Comp Cams are yet to be seen. A lot more expensive and you'll have to get into springs ect.

Did you do a pull om the stock intake jpc cam combo the same day you swapped out the boss manifold to try and duplicate conditions, It's shocking that there is that much of a loss down low. Your cams look like the ticket for a street car.
The pulls were all made the same day. First pull was stock intake stock cams, then Boss Intake Stock Cams, Then Boss Intake JPC Cams and Finally JPC Cams w/ stock intake and we were all floored. But like I was saying the Boss did shine with our CNC'ed heads and cams. It was inline with the power thru the mid range and then ran away from the stock intake at the top end. This car is such a monster down low and in the mid range but sill pulls hard up top.

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
I am sure the multiple passes trying to get it in with some stickies didn't help. Hehehehe. ;)

That didn't hurt your ET at all but your MPH for sure. I think a 3.90 will be in my car soon. ;)
If go forced induction will prolly go lower then 3.90s..lol

Ya it killed the MPH and i think hurt the last 100 feet of track or so hurting E.T a little when slowed me down so much. But thats life.

Will get it all matched up perfect soon..:)

when better do all when axle brace, UCA, and relocation brackets go on...

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I would stick with the 4.10's not a hugh difference between them and the 3.90's except the quality of the 3.90's are really lacking and 99% of the time noisy.

Will have to disagree. Richmond and Strange both make a 3.90 and are good quality. Just about any gear will whine. My factory 3.73 has whine to it.

4.10 will require a shift into 5th which I think most will want to avoid. Only reason I am considering a move to the 3.90 is due to the Boss intake on the car. Those running a stock intake should stick with a 3.73. This is all based on a M6 car running 28" tires.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back