Bought a 2006 and back timing chain rattles for 20 seconds then quits, Tensioner?

O_M3G_A

Reaction score
:lol:1 hr to pull engine=experience.

Actually its super easy to pull these engines, especially if you pull the engine with transmission.

[QUOTE="Gabe": Honestly, at 200k, I would drive it as is while looking for a late-model engine replacement with low miles.

Best answer. They are relatively cheap.[/QUOTE]

Yes they are, If you live near a Pick-N-Pull you can pull a long block for roughly $180, and a fully complete engine for $220, you can also get a sweet deal when they have their 50% off events.. A few years ago I picked up a 4.0L for a tad less than 100 bucks for my old 08 Mustang. I didn't do anything else just a quick inspection, fresh oil and in it went... and boy did I beat the hell out of that engine, and it still ran just fine when I sold the car..

Just AVOID pulling engines for other mustangs, remember the same engine was also used on Rangers and Explorers those are the ones you want..

Last edited:

Aerofinz

Reaction score
... Otherwise just do the minimum necessary to solve the immediate problem (new rear timing chain, tensioners, and chain guides) and leave it at that. You could then start saving pennies for a future Coyote swap if you change your mind.

The issue is the labor, most owners won't/can't tackle a R&R of the engine and/or don't have the luxury of down time for a daily driver to allow for YouTube lessons to tackle such a project.
This engine isn't a weekend project, for most. We've all cut or teeth doing a driveway timing chain replacement after removing the radiator, using a Chilton's for reference. This isn't one of those repairs.

Back to Gabe's advice, drive it! IMO, that engine should never go back in the car. Find a good used 4.0L or your thought of a Coyote swap, long-term! :)

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back