Brake pressure sensor

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
The problems just keep happening lately it seems.

Park my car after lunch, get back in to go home and it tells me SERVICE ADVANCETRAC and my 2 traction control lights are on, but not the ABS light.

I get error C1A99:17:8B Pressure Sensor.
Circuit voltage above threshold.

Where is this sensor located? Any chance it's something else? I tried negative cable removed, bit it came back. Guess it really is faulty.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
It may be in the ABS unit. I looked through the schems to see if I could find a brake pressure sensor so I could identify it in the location section, but all I find is a brakefluid level sensor and the brake pedal position switch aside from the ABS unit itself and of course the parking brake switch. Below is a link to the hood overview showing location of the ABS unit and fluid level sensor C135 and C124 respectively.

Assuming this is for the 12 you have listed since you never indicated what year.

https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=711&f=151 - Component Location Views.pdf&p=2

Last edited:

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
It is for my 12. When I run a brake system check with foreskin it starts with the ABS module, it makes a weird air compressor sound, and then tells me that stuff is bad. I just don't see where to buy a new one of these modules.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I also find it strange that if it's a brake sensor in the ABS unit thats bad, but my ABS light isn't illuminated.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
likely a dealer part would be my guess. According to the documentation below the ABS, Tracction control, and stability control are all part of the braking system and work with the PCM to provide control through the HCU via the ABS module from what little I read. Not a lot of info (theory) below in the tech manuals and most diagnostics applies to the use of diagnostics tool in the Ford shop like most things that get this deep on 05+ vehicles. The newer the more complex.

Good luck.

Here is a description of the system.
https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=787&f=Anti-Lock Control.pdf&p=2
Here is diagnostics for HCU and ABS unit both of which are part of the traction control system
https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=789&f=Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module.pdf&p=3
Here is the whole thing.
https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=760

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
When I run a brake system check with foreskin..

Maybe stop jamming your junk in it? Lol.

I can’t offer any real help but I googled and found this post from another forum..

“There's a sensor in the ABS module, when you say accurate data, are you not getting anything or you want the raw pressure data? (the data in the ABS PCM is: CAN ID 529, offset 7 - a single byte raw value return that appears to show values from 0-255)”

So it an internal sensor to the unit that outputs data.. do with that what you will.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
LoL, I'll try and stop molestering my brakes

I have a test to perform on all the braking components, but I need a scanner that will monitor certain PIDs in the ABS system to try and figure out which part is broken. I've got to get my laptop cable back from a friend, but I'm hoping the full version of forscan will accomplish this for me.

I tried cleaning the plug going into the ABS/HCU, I checked the fuses (all good), I also disconnected the brake pedal switch and no change.

I changed all the shocks/struts on Sunday (well, did the seized passenger front yesterday), but put almost 200 miles on the car before the lights came on. But I'm thinking/hoping that's just a coincidence.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Just looked at the workshop manual. Everything leads to the module and HCU. Not uncommon as the vehicle age.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score

This is the test procedure I have, I have steps H1 through H7. I do get the C1A99 - Pressure Sensor Circuit Voltage Above Threshold. Even after clearing the DTC's multiple times.

The plug and connector looked fine, I used some electronics cleaner on both sides. All the pins were there, straight, and no corrosion. I would have to take the connector apart to check for pushed back pins. But I don't see how this could happen with the car just sitting there. That module/part has never been messed with since the car was built.

Would I need to replace the entire ABS modulator valve assembly or can I just replace the pump that bolts onto the modulator valve?

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
This is the test procedure I have, I have steps H1 through H7. I do get the C1A99 - Pressure Sensor Circuit Voltage Above Threshold. Even after clearing the DTC's multiple times.

The plug and connector looked fine, I used some electronics cleaner on both sides. All the pins were there, straight, and no corrosion. I would have to take the connector apart to check for pushed back pins. But I don't see how this could happen with the car just sitting there. That module/part has never been messed with since the car was built.

Would I need to replace the entire ABS modulator valve assembly or can I just replace the pump that bolts onto the modulator valve?
I would consider replacing both. With age, if one is bad the other is probably not far behind.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Ok, BOO1 recognizes pedal on/off (H3) and BPS_EE12 is 25500 not pushing on pedal(H4). But pressure does not increase when I push pedal down (H5) And DTC C1A99:17 is stored.

so I think it's my abs module/pump

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
There's a 2014 v6 at the junkyard I'm going to swing by today and see if the ABS module was still on it. Does anyone have access to an interchange list of what other models that their abs modules/pumps fit?

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
my mistake, it's a 2010 at the pick n pull.

My abs module is CR33-2C405-BB

The 2010 module is AR33-2C405-BC

Do I need to get a module from the exact same year as my car?

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I can program my info into the ABS module from the 2010, I know forscan can program it, just not sure if it'll work in my car
Guess there's only 1 way to find out

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
turned out the be the Hydraulic Control Unit. I replaced both the ABS module and the HCU. Used Forscan to initialize the module through PATS programming and then loaded my ASBUILT data into it. All codes are gone and I saved myself over a grand. Can't beat that!

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
turned out the be the Hydraulic Control Unit. I replaced both the ABS module and the HCU. Used Forscan to initialize the module through PATS programming and then loaded my ASBUILT data into it. All codes are gone and I saved myself over a grand. Can't beat that!
You are welcome! LOL!

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Can you give more detail on loading your data into it?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back