Brake Upgrade - Questions Before Purchase

X

xvesnfpu

After considering many options I've decided to upgrade my brakes with the following. Please consider that this setup is final and I will be making the purchase once I'm sure everything will work together correctly.

1) 14" GT500 Brembo brake upgrade kit (calipers, pads & hardware only)
2) Front Baer EradiSpeed-Plus-2 two piece rotor (Part No 2261026)
3) Rear Baer EradiSpeed-Plus-2 two piece rotor (Part No 2261029)
4) H&R Trak+ wheel spacers - DRM Series (25mm, approx 1")
My questions are as follows. I'll be installing the brakes on a 2007 Mustang GT with 18" black bullit rims (Ford SVT brand).

1) Will the EradiSpeed-Plus-2 two piece rotor fit just fine with the GT500 calipers?
2) I'd like to purchase a black powder coated stock GT caliper to match the front GT500 calipers. Does anyone know where I can find such a product?
3) What size/brand wheel stud do I need to purchase to go along with the wheel spacers?​

M-2300-S_a.jpg

BAE-2261026_MED.jpg

HRDRMSpacer.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JonW

Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but I'll be upgrading my brakes one of these days. Why did you choose the package that you did? I'm interested in hearing what factors led to your decision. I'll have to make that same decision some day.

X

xvesnfpu

Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but I'll be upgrading my brakes one of these days. Why did you choose the package that you did? I'm interested in hearing what factors led to your decision. I'll have to make that same decision some day.

I didn't want to say, but since you asked...it was strictly appearance. I wanted a 2 piece rotor for all 4 wheels. Sure I want a little more braking power, and the Brembo's offer that.

Also, I'm not a big fan of rusty disc brakes, and the 2-piece rotor offers a high quality alternative.

It's really as simple as that.

X

xvesnfpu

I'm cool with that. Appearance counts in my book, too.

Just an idea of what it can all look like...Not my pics, I grabbed them from another forum...

front.jpg

rear.jpg

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know you said you’re committed to this package but I have to ask why you are going to all the expense of getting the GT500 Brembo kit and then adding the 2 piece rotors. I would think you would be better off just getting an upgrade kit from another manufacturer that comes with 2 piece rotors. I have the Wilwood brakes on my car and have been very happy with them.

Earl

Attachments

• Side4.jpg
    Side4.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Side3.jpg
    Side3.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 38
J

JonW

Definitely looks good. I run my car at the track, so I have to have performance as well as appearance. I can already feel my wallet puckering.

X

xvesnfpu

I know you said you’re committed to this package but I have to ask why you are going to all the expense of getting the GT500 Brembo kit and then adding the 2 piece rotors. I would think you would be better off just getting an upgrade kit from another manufacturer that comes with 2 piece rotors. I have the Wilwood brakes on my car and have been very happy with them.

Earl

There's plenty of front brake kits out there, but nothing for the rear. Priority one is to have a complete matching set of rotors. I haven't seen a kit yet that would offer a front big brake upgrade with 2 piece rotor, and a matching set of 2 piece rotors for the rear. Baer makes a 2 piston caliper, but I don't see the point of purchasing another set of front 2 piston calipers for a couple hundred less than the cost of going with the GT500 upgrade.

Sure I don't like the idea of paying for rotors I wont use, but it's a couple hundred dollars wasted. That kind of money isn't a big issue, but I'm not going to spend $2000-$3000 more for the Willwood or other much more expensive kits out there. The setup I'm going with gives me what I want for much less that other much more expensive kits.

Mind you, I also have to work with the 18" bullit rims I've got. Swapping rims is not an option, as I love the look of black rims on a white Mustang.

Realize also that I've searched and searched, and this setup is what I've come up with. If there's someone out there who's willing to do an exhaustive search for me, more power to you, but I think I've got to put my foot down and just get something already. I know the GT500 calipers will fit with my rims+spacer since it's been done and I've seen the results. I hate to take the risk of purchasing a non-confirmed caliper on my rims unless I've seen the exact rim and caliper fit together.

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thats a pretty nice set up you got going. Hell, I'm just going the simple route with my brakes...

- Drilled/Slotted Rotors (Rotor Pros maybe...)
- Hawk Pads
- Earls Steel Braided Lines
- PMP Line Lock Kit

but the look you got going with those are tight! I like those two-piece rotors!

I'm not sure on the spacers that you'll be needing but can for sure tell you that stock calipers are expensive as hell! Check out genuine-ford-parts.com or something like that for the calipers.
- Justin

bens4vcobra

I like stuff.
Reaction score
OP, i like your setup. the GT500 front brake upgrade will look great with those rotors, you picked the best of both worlds. will definitely give your car a "high end" look.

i am wondering about your wheels though. i have stock 18X8.5 bullitt wheels. i am sure if i get those brembo brakes the minimum i'm looking at is a 18X9 wheel with a spacer.

Reaction score
OP, i like your setup. the GT500 front brake upgrade will look great with those rotors, you picked the best of both worlds. will definitely give your car a "high end" look.

i am wondering about your wheels though. i have stock 18X8.5 bullitt wheels. i am sure if i get those brembo brakes the minimum i'm looking at is a 18X9 wheel with a spacer.

I posted THIS thread almost three months ago, but have since changed my username

Coincidentaly, I just purchased the Brembo calipers today. I was able to order just the calipers from a Ford dealer. This is good news, since I wont be wasting the money on the GT500 rotors included with the Ford Racing upgrade kit.

Anyhow, if you use a 1" spacer you will be able to install the Brembo kit without issue using the stock 18" Bullitt. What I haven't been able to find is what the minimum sized spacer is. I don't want to use a 1" spacer if I don't have because of rubbing issued on my lowered Mustang.

So when the calipers come in, I'm going to try and size the thinnest spacer possible.

Again, if you use the stock 18" Bullitt, and you're willing to use a 1" spacer, then you will successfully fit these brakes.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
I posted THIS thread almost three months ago, but have since changed my username

Coincidentaly, I just purchased the Brembo calipers today. I was able to order just the calipers from a Ford dealer. This is good news, since I wont be wasting the money on the GT500 rotors included with the Ford Racing upgrade kit.

Anyhow, if you use a 1" spacer you will be able to install the Brembo kit without issue using the stock 18" Bullitt. What I haven't been able to find is what the minimum sized spacer is. I don't want to use a 1" spacer if I don't have because of rubbing issued on my lowered Mustang.

So when the calipers come in, I'm going to try and size the thinnest spacer possible.

Again, if you use the stock 18" Bullitt, and you're willing to use a 1" spacer, then you will successfully fit these brakes.

A couple of questions... First off, when you bought the calipers, did they come with the extension bracket to mount them to the stock knuckle? IIRC, the kit comes with an adapter bracket.

When you get it all mounted up, use a stack of 1/2" washers to space the wheel out (for fitment only, for the love of God, don't drive it that way!!) until it clears the caliper, then measure the thickness of the washer stack. That'll tell you how much spacer you need, as well as tell you if you need longer studs. FWIW, I'm running 18x9.5" wheels with a +50mm offset, and they do clear both the fender lips and the strut, and this is with a 1.75" drop. It's tight on the inside, but it fits. Post up pix and comments when you get all done, this looks like an interesting alternative to the BBKs out there...

Reaction score
The parts list below is directly from the instruction sheet provided by Ford Racing Performance Parts for the brake upgrade kit. There is no extension bracket on the list.

Also, thanks for the tip. I wasn't really sure how I was going to determine the proper spacer thickness.

When it comes to front wheel spacing for my setup, the sidewall is only 7/8" of an inch from the outside of the fender. I measured using a plumb bob. The problem is that when viewed from the side, there is no vertical wheel gap in the fender well. That's how low I am (see picture below).

Picture1-5.jpg

IMG_2907.jpg

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
DAMN, that thing is in the weeds!! Oh, but it looks good on you! J/K

Can you tell if the stock lines will bolt up to the Brembo calipers? I'm running Steeda lines, and if they'll bolt up, that makes the whole deal a lot more interesting... Good to know that there are no extension brackets, too.

Reaction score
DAMN, that thing is in the weeds!! Oh, but it looks good on you! J/K

Can you tell if the stock lines will bolt up to the Brembo calipers? I'm running Steeda lines, and if they'll bolt up, that makes the whole deal a lot more interesting... Good to know that there are no extension brackets, too.

Not sure if the stock lines can be used with the Brembo kit. Perhaps someone else can answer that. I don't yet have the calipers, as I just ordered them yesterday.

ren274u

forum member
Reaction score
What rotors did you order? Im pretty sure the baers dont fit, i think someone already tried. Stoptech makes a 2 piece that fits the gt500 brembos

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back