C&L intake installation issuse

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
Recievd the c&l and tuner and noticed there are 3 inlets. One for the vacum line,one for the sound tube and a third in the middle of those two for no apparent reason.It is threaded and I'm running a bolt in there which fits perfectly but I'm not happy with the ghetto jerry rigged appearance of this.Is there anything else I could run? A rubber stopper perhaps?

If anyone is running something else besides the two ive mentioned please feel free to chime in. Thanks.

If this isnt tech enough I apologize. ......please dont roast me.

jsnyng

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I am a noob on these cars. I am not a mechanic and am only a decent parts changer. If this is wrong, please don't flame too hard. I read all of the posts here but don't share much.

Here's a picture of my Steeda setup:

Steeda CAI by jsnyng, on Flickr

I'm guessing your extra hole may have something to do with the CAI you received being for an automatic. Steeda offers two different part #'s for their CAI's, one for manual and one for automatic. The automatic definitely needs three holes. JLT sells just one part number for both but states on their website, "Automatic tubes need an additional fitting, which we provide. The fittings are Milled from solid billet aluminum and all you need to do is drill a ½” hole (we show you where) in the tube, install the supplied grommet, fitting and you’re done." I know nothing about the C&L, but I'm guessing your third hole has something to do with supporting an auto transmission. I think the hose the manuals are missing is the one that you see going under the engine cover. I hope this helps.

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
I asked if they sent me one for a auto being that my car is a standard. Their response was,"no they all come like that". Now I'm wondering if they are full of shit. Is the pic you posted a auto?

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
Steeda=quality......... Come to find out C&L comes with 3 inlets for auto and standard,guess they only made one mold.

Now any suggestions for a nice Clean looking plug?

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Steeda=quality......... Come to find out C&L comes with 3 inlets for auto and standard,guess they only made one mold.

Now any suggestions for a nice Clean looking plug?

Steeda intake is nice but still incomplete if you want to remove the sound tube....

Airaid FTW in making a complete, all parts needed kit.

To the OP, take the tube to Home Depot or Lowes and find a nylon plug that will fit. ;)

I live in the Austin area. Hit me up if you need help.

blacks197

Reaction score
In the box there should have been a little bag with 2 plastic fittings, 1 plug for stick cars and 1 barbed fitting for auto cars. If they weren't in there i would call C&L about a replacement fitting

Reaction score
+1 for a replacement fitting. My C&L came with a threaded cap that went in there.

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
Well I knew those guys at American muscle were full of shit......they said the kit came without any plugs for that extra inlet. Looks like I will try home depot for that nylon fitting.

RDK

forum member
Reaction score
i would call c&L they can give you one..

assasinator

1000hp turbo 4v
Reaction score
Steeda intake is nice but still incomplete if you want to remove the sound tube....

Airaid FTW in making a complete, all parts needed kit.

To the OP, take the tube to Home Depot or Lowes and find a nylon plug that will fit. ;)

I live in the Austin area. Hit me up if you need help.

whoop whoop!!!

jsnyng

Reaction score
whoop whoop!!!

For all you Airaid fanboi's, where were their CAI's 6 months ago? Vaporware.

Steeda 6 months ago? On my car. I would say being first (or one of the first) to market with a top quality piece of kit is a pretty big deal. Who cares if they don't offer a noise tube delete?

That being said, if I didn't have the Steeda, I'd be running an Airaid.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
For all you Airaid fanboi's, where were their CAI's 6 months ago? Vaporware.

Steeda 6 months ago? On my car. I would say being first (or one of the first) to market with a top quality piece of kit is a pretty big deal. Who cares if they don't offer a noise tube delete?

That being said, if I didn't have the Steeda, I'd be running an Airaid.

:wtf1:

First isn't always better....ask anyone who has experience with the MMR CAI....http://www.modularmustangracing.com/

It is a large pile of shit.

I like the Steeda intake as well. It was at the top of my short list.

jsnyng

Reaction score
:wtf1:

First isn't always better....ask anyone who has experience with the MMR CAI....http://www.modularmustangracing.com/

It is a large pile of shit.

I like the Steeda intake as well. It was at the top of my short list.

I didn't say being first was always best, and I did specify that it is top quality gear. I had the first Stillen Dual CAI for the '07 G35, and it sucked. I definitely know first isn't always best.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
the Airaid was available 3-4 weeks after the Steeda cai.. as far as i know i had the first one..the Airaid rep even came here to help w/ the installation, see the dyno results before and after the install. and i cant complain.. the kit was complete!

RDK

forum member
Reaction score
I have been working on doing a group buy on Airaid intakes..
just finishing everything up..

also I think Steeda and JLT are both very good..

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I got the C&L as well. I also got the plug for the automatic tube and that plug is in there still on mine.

C&L is recommended by SD to flow better, especially on F/I applications. So that's why I went with it.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I got the C&L as well. I also got the plug for the automatic tube and that plug is in there still on mine.

C&L is recommended by SD to flow better, especially on F/I applications. So that's why I went with it.

Only one issue with that....every F/I setup on the market for the 5.0 I have seen does not re-utilize the intake tube.

If you go nitrous or stay N/A, most of the available CAI's are within 1-2 HP of each other minus the MMR. The MMR CAI is a large turd and one would be better off sticking with the stock setup over that.

Liquid

Reaction score
I didn't say being first was always best, and I did specify that it is top quality gear. I had the first Stillen Dual CAI for the '07 G35, and it sucked. I definitely know first isn't always best.

Stillen is a good at pulling that crap. I had a 370z before this.

I have learned from other people's experiences. First does not always mean best. I usually wait a bit to see how things have panned out before making a decision.

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
Picked up a black button head hex bolt today.I will be cutting it down tomorrow morning and we will see how it goes.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back