Cam ID help

8forfun

Reaction score
New here, hi all
I've been researching for info to help with issues with my car, a 2006 GT I just got, and have found most everything I need. Wiring diagrams, tuning needs, the mods already on my car, etc. I picked up an X4 and I'm going with Lasota for the Proracer software and base tune. I've tuned before so this seems a natural step for me. I get it's not for many but I've always really enjoyed the tuning.

What I need help with is identifying the cams. I can't seem to find much. I can't even figure out who made them. The previous owner knew very little and isn't any help. I could get pics up if it would help.

Here's the info on the cams:
Back of cam - DET 3V NA - 9L VK3221-10
BACK OF REAR LOBE - 3501A
BETWEEN 2 LOBES ON SHAFT - J240 05? last character could be a 4

I thought maybe a re-grind because the 3501A is stamped not etched and could be a Ford part #. I also wondered if they were Detroit Rockers from Brenspeed?

Any ideas?

GlassTop09

Reaction score
New here, hi all
I've been researching for info to help with issues with my car, a 2006 GT I just got, and have found most everything I need. Wiring diagrams, tuning needs, the mods already on my car, etc. I picked up an X4 and I'm going with Lasota for the Proracer software and base tune. I've tuned before so this seems a natural step for me. I get it's not for many but I've always really enjoyed the tuning.

What I need help with is identifying the cams. I can't seem to find much. I can't even figure out who made them. The previous owner knew very little and isn't any help. I could get pics up if it would help.

Here's the info on the cams:
Back of cam - DET 3V NA - 9L VK3221-10
BACK OF REAR LOBE - 3501A
BETWEEN 2 LOBES ON SHAFT - J240 05? last character could be a 4

I thought maybe a re-grind because the 3501A is stamped not etched and could be a Ford part #. I also wondered if they were Detroit Rockers from Brenspeed?

Any ideas?
They're Brenspeed Detroit Rocker NA (non-FI) cams.
Here's a cam card on them for your tuning needs:

Attachments

• Detroit Rocker Cam Specs.pdf
    496.8 KB · Views: 10

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Just a heads up on the PRP and base tune. If Lasota is giving you a base tune, it will likely be on the X4 ONLY, and you will not be able to use it as a starting point. Unless they give you the .mtf file (mako tuning file) This is the actual tuning file the PRP software opens/edits.
You cannot pull a tune off the X4.

Why pay for a base tune? The PRP software includes value files that you can apply to the base file.
I just looked, there are several value files for 05-06. With and without IMRC, 93 octane base tunes.

Im curious if you will get the tune file, and will it have anything other than one of the available SCT value files added.

8forfun

Reaction score
Just a heads up on the PRP and base tune. If Lasota is giving you a base tune, it will likely be on the X4 ONLY, and you will not be able to use it as a starting point. Unless they give you the .mtf file (mako tuning file) This is the actual tuning file the PRP software opens/edits.
You cannot pull a tune off the X4.

Why pay for a base tune? The PRP software includes value files that you can apply to the base file.
I just looked, there are several value files for 05-06. With and without IMRC, 93 octane base tunes.

Im curious if you will get the tune file, and will it have anything other than one of the available SCT value files added.

Thanks for you reply.
Here's what I think I know. I already have an X4 so the file he supplies must come from an email that I upload to it. I "expect" it would be a file I can edit or it's a tune, not a base tune. Unless of course once it's on the X4 you edit it while attached to the X4? This would be unfortunate at best. Also, because my car came with an unknown tune I cannot access I asked for a "stock" file which was agreed would be made available. I still don't know if this will help my checksum errors with anything loaded from the X4 so a "as built" strategy from Ford IDS is probably on the horizon.

Nothing I would get would be "free", however the files are at no extra cost if you buy the guide which I would probably do anyway. The video I saw of the software is unsurprisingly really similar on the surface to Tunerpro which I have used, but with any new software, a guide is cheap and easy.

With all that said I'll go the "well see" approach for now to a point. That point being it seems logical to believe maybe you have an alternative you would be willing to share? I'm pretty open minded. If not and you're just curious, I will update this post to include my experience if it helps you or anyone else.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
No, emailed files cannot be opened by PRP.
Emailed files are .cef extension (customer export file) and all you can do is load it onto the X4 with device updater software.You need the .mtf file, that I doubt Lasota will send you.

Not sure what you mean by lost the stock tune. That should have been saved on the x4 when first connected to car and "married" the tuner to the VIN. Unless the car was tuned, and you don't have that tuning device.

I see no reason to have a truely bone stock backup unless you want to ever remove mods, and put car back to stock to sell or whatever. And if you do decide on a stock Ford reflash, unmarry your tuner first. Or you might end up with a "wrong vehicle" when trying to load your tune.
I never ran into any checksum errors.
Yes, the layout is very similiar to TunerPro. Way too much access to shit you will never touch and don't need to touch. lmao

Last edited:

8forfun

Reaction score
You got it, I bought the car with a tune and no device. The previous owner knew nothing of who or what was used. And the ability to return to stock is something I'd like for the reasons you mentioned. Just in case..

What I don't get is why anyone would buy or sell a software package you can't use? What's the point in purchasing software that doesn't allow you to edit what's on the pcm?

I guess I'll have to pose the questing to Losota. If I can't edit the file he sends it's almost useless. Unless I get an editable file I may as well go to something else.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
You got it, I bought the car with a tune and no device. The previous owner knew nothing of who or what was used. And the ability to return to stock is something I'd like for the reasons you mentioned. Just in case..

What I don't get is why anyone would buy or sell a software package you can't use? What's the point in purchasing software that doesn't allow you to edit what's on the pcm?

I guess I'll have to pose the questing to Losota. If I can't edit the file he sends it's almost useless. Unless I get an editable file I may as well go to something else.
This is all about protecting intellectual property/knowledge of the person/business selling the tune.
The software works fine, and SCT provides you with a copy of your stock calibration, based on the PCM catch code you give them. Your SCT dongle will be "locking" the software to just one strategy. (unless you buy the dealer license)
You have to tune it yourself from a bone stock file.
If you want to actually read the calibration, edit it, and flash it back, thats something HP tuners does.

8forfun

Reaction score
I know about the intellectual property thing. I get that. It's been on every forums tuning post since forums were invented. It's funny though, tuners for every other make still do very well due to most don't want to mess with their stuff. It's a very small percentage that's like me. Even then, a box tune needs tweeking from time to time. Obviously I would pay for an editable "base" tune. This could be done the way it is now and offer a package like Proracer with a beginning. It might be a small number, but a few hundred minds are way better than one. IMO maybe the idea of locking down everything is a little old these days but it is what it is.

Thanks for the insight, it is appreciated

Oh, and it's a little annoying for someone to advertise using term like"base tune" which lead a person to believe it's editable when it's not. Should say you get a tune to run your car but not editable.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I know about the intellectual property thing. I get that. It's been on every forums tuning post since forums were invented. It's funny though, tuners for every other make still do very well due to most don't want to mess with their stuff. It's a very small percentage that's like me. Even then, a box tune needs tweeking from time to time. Obviously I would pay for an editable "base" tune. This could be done the way it is now and offer a package like Proracer with a beginning. It might be a small number, but a few hundred minds are way better than one. IMO maybe the idea of locking down everything is a little old these days but it is what it is.

Thanks for the insight, it is appreciated

Oh, and it's a little annoying for someone to advertise using term like"base tune" which lead a person to believe it's editable when it's not. Should say you get a tune to run your car but not editable.
Ask him to email you the .mtf and not the export and see what happens. Can't hurt to ask.
And trust me, I get it. I should have bought the damn PRP software even before I first started up my build. LOL And I fought idle and drivability issues, getting tune updates, getting speedo correct etc. After I started looking at the tune, I realized two things right away:
Very few tuners actually work on idle and drivabilty, because it can take a long time. WOT power is pretty easy, and HP numbers are king for bench racing purposes.
These new gen PCMs are way more complex than my fox body! It can take a very long time to get drivability and idle right, and I am super picky about that on a daily. Track only car, not so much.

Last edited:

8forfun

Reaction score
Very few tuners actually work on idle and drivabilty, because it can take a long time. WOT power is pretty easy, and HP numbers are king for bench racing purposes.
These new gen PCMs are way more complex than my fox body! It can take a very long time to get drivability and idle right, and I am super picky about that on a daily. Track only car, not so much.

This is exactly my thing. It takes time, resources, and dedication. Mostly though, it just keeps me out of the trouble and the bar lol. And at 57, I don't need trouble. Racing got way too expensive for me back in late 80's.

8forfun

Reaction score
This is all about protecting intellectual property/knowledge of the person/business selling the tune.
The software works fine, and SCT provides you with a copy of your stock calibration, based on the PCM catch code you give them. Your SCT dongle will be "locking" the software to just one strategy. (unless you buy the dealer license)
You have to tune it yourself from a bone stock file.
If you want to actually read the calibration, edit it, and flash it back, thats something HP tuners does.

I've had a few minutes to think and it dawned on me that I was told the tune that was, and still is, in the car when I bought it could have been done with HP Tuners software from some of the issues it has. So would the tune in the car be accessible? Or is it pretty much the same way as SCT? I'll have to start with a stock file.

I'll have to look at the repository, maybe I can answer my own question? Because it looks like one will have advantages over the other for me.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back