cammed 06 GT. Ran perfect for a year...now motor floods regularly. wtf??

torchred

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so I made a thread a week or so ago about how I got stuck at work because the motor flooded trying to start it, and no amount of foot the floor clearing methods would get it to start, even after letting it sit for hours. I need some ideas on what to check.....It ran perfect and started on the first crank for nearly a year and now all the sudden its flooding fairly regularly when trying to start it after its been sitting for a bit. A bunch of people said the tune would be the issue, but how does that make any sense then that it ran perfect for almost a year on the same exact tune? To be clear....I haven't made ANY changes to the car, and their are NO check engine lights, so I don't know where to start. The plugs are the original ford plugs circa 2006 (50K miles) and I'm installing autolite HT1s on Saturday, but if that doesn't fix this problem I don't know where else to look. Its cammed with a hot rod cam, and has delete plates headers and a cold air.

Noclutch

forum member
Reaction score
Not always do things show up as codes. I pulled 1\2 the coil pack wires and car started and ran and nothing showed up as a code. My car is missing somewhere no code. Need to get a volt meter on the supply to the coils if you get nothing there or not enough to the coils your spark will not make the jump. Old school: Pull 1 plug and ground it hooked up to the coil and have someone turn the engine over, you see a spark you should see ignition of fuel and air if you have enough compression.
If I were a betting man I would put my money on the coil source being your problem. Not enough juice to make the leap in the weakest coil pack then after all 8 don't make the spark. Problem could have started as a miss and after last time it ran the source gave up on you. Replacing the plugs or coils won't help if this is the case.

If source is not enough juice the car will act like it is flooding because it is.

torchred

forum member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it run badly if it was the coils? It runs stronger than ever once it actually starts. Im afraid to even drive it to work now in fear of it needing a tow to get back home.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had similar issues when battery was going out. It would either start or flood when trying to start. Try getting battery tested to be sure it is good.

torchred

forum member
Reaction score
Leaking injector was my next guess. Battery is one year old

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
First recommendation, reload the tune. Next have battery and alternator checked out. Next check and replace spark plugs, then suspect coils, then suspect leaking injector chances that enough injectors start leaking at the same time to flood the motor isn't that high.

torchred

forum member
Reaction score
Well of course i had to take my girlfriend home and i didnt want to subject her to my ghetto non-ac equipped 94 f150 (hot and humid out here) and my mustang started right up. Their is no rhyme or reason to this issue. Its very sporadic

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back