Cams & gears???

GT500Steve

Seriously Boosted
Reaction score
I am looking at doing a little work to my daily driven 2005 Mustang GT. The way the car sits presently it has JLT CAI, GT500 axlebacks, and a custom tune, and dyno'd at 299/320. My plans are to add the FRPP Hot Rod cams, a set of Kooks LTs with catted H-pipe, and the Borla "Stinger" axleback kit. My question is this.... The car came with 3.55s from the factory, will I need to change to a lower gear (4.10) to get the full potential out of that setup. My main concern was if the cams moved the rpm band, would it make the car feel lazy in the lower revs... any input is appreciated!

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
I did the Detroit Rockers
I also have 355 gears

Car was very drivable with a Bama tune,
Didnt loose a lot of mid range

I am going turbo so the gears are staying 355

But you could drive on 355,s with Detroit Rockers

With that said the your mileage may very

usafimj

Reaction score
Go with the 4.10s even if you're going s/c. You'll love them. I know I did. Your car will be a beast with the addition of FRPP Hot Rods, LTs, and gears.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
That's probably similar to the same setup I'll have eventually. I already have the intake/tune/mufflers but have 3:73 gears. At the least I think you should move up to the 3:73's.

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
HAAHA!!! I seem to remember someone saying that they weren't going to mod this one.

I'm interested in the final decision on the gears. I've been tossing it around in my head since I have the 3.55's

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
I would recommend 4.10s as well for a daily driver. If you want the full potential out of it 4.56s are the way to go.

NotaHybrid

I'm slow
Reaction score
I just put in my Detroit rockers which are similar to the hot rods. I don't notice any driveability issues. I am an auto though, with 3.73s.

GT500Steve

Seriously Boosted
Reaction score
HAAHA!!! I seem to remember someone saying that they weren't going to mod this one.

I'm interested in the final decision on the gears. I've been tossing it around in my head since I have the 3.55's

Yeah, that lasted all of about 4 months didn't it lol.... famous last words I guess!! I made the mistake of taking it back to the track again lol... I shoulda known better.

IF I do the gear swap, there is no way I am going to ONLY go to a 3.73... it really wouldn't be worth the time IMO, so I will do either the 4.10s or just leave it alone.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back