Can a bypass valve be too big?

Stage1

forum member
Reaction score
Okay so heres what I got. I have a V2 Vortech converted to blow thru with a Cxr 31X12 cooler 3 core and 4inch power pipe. I have a Vortech Maxflow bypass right before the cooler. I have checked all the couplers and t bolt clamps there all good and tight. My problem the car will only build maybe 2 lbs of boost. I checked the gauge to make sure the line wasnt kinked all good there. Its just not making boost (well not that much) I did get if the belt was slipping and it doesnt look like it is, plus it was hard as hell to get it on there the first time. I tried to adjust the bypass in and out it really doesnt make any difference .. So Im wondering if my bypass it to big? IATS are staying right around 96..

gizmo5

Italian between my legs
Reaction score
No such thing as a valve being too big, but there are valves that malfunction. Investigate further and see if it can be adjusted more. The diaphragm might be bad as well.

Stage1

forum member
Reaction score
Thats what I though,but I adjusted in and out as far as it goes. Doesnt seem to change .. My IATS seem good .. I just wrap my head around it right now maybe I should try the one that came with kit to see if it makes any difference.. Its a knockoff that came with the Cxr kit.

Stage1

forum member
Reaction score
I think Im going remove the cooler to see if its a restriction.

Last edited:

Stage1

forum member
Reaction score
Just picked up 05stoker's procharger IC .. It's the only thing I can think of.

Stage1

forum member
Reaction score
Are you sure your BOV is not open?

What do you exactly mean open? I checked it and even adjusted out and in. It supposed to preset from vortech. While the car is running air is coming out of it, when I pull the vaccum line off it stops blowing which is normal operation. Any Ideas would be great..

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
What do you exactly mean open? I checked it and even adjusted out and in. It supposed to preset from vortech. While the car is running air is coming out of it, when I pull the vaccum line off it stops blowing which is normal operation. Any Ideas would be great..
As soon as you hit the gas the BOV should close.

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
You said bypass in the thread title....Assume you mean blow off valve. Where do you have your boost gauge connected?

Stage1

forum member
Reaction score
You said bypass in the thread title....Assume you mean blow off valve. Where do you have your boost gauge connected?

Vortech calls it a bypass/blow off valve so I guess it could be considered the same? My boost gauge is connected to the vaccum line going to the fuel regulator and I also so have the blow off valve / bypass there as well. Maybe thats too many things on one line.. Any suggestions would help.. This is my first time around with FI..

06gtmustang

forum member
Reaction score
Vortech calls it a bypass/blow off valve so I guess it could be considered the same? My boost gauge is connected to the vaccum line going to the fuel regulator and I also so have the blow off valve / bypass there as well. Maybe thats too many things on one line.. Any suggestions would help.. This is my first time around with FI..

You should be fine having two things t'd on that line. I have my blow off valve and boost gauge connected in that location and working fine. Do you happen to know what type of intercooler you got from crx? You might of got the wrong one from them. A few members have run into this problem and seen half or less boost from what they are suppose to get.

Stage1

forum member
Reaction score
When you saw the 2 psi what gear were you in and what RPM?
I was in first gear at like 4500 to 5000 RPMS
You should be fine having two things t'd on that line. I have my blow off valve and boost gauge connected in that location and working fine. Do you happen to know what type of intercooler you got from crx? You might of got the wrong one from them. A few members have run into this problem and seen half or less boost from what they are suppose to get.

Okay that's cool , it's the one I posted in the link above. It said it was for supercharged or turbo ... Is there a difference between the two. Either way I picked 05stokers procharger IC so I will see what's happens when I get that one installed ..

06gtmustang

forum member
Reaction score
Well the link is showing the right one you need which is bar and plate vs the tube and fin intercooler others have issues with.

Stage1

forum member
Reaction score
So there is a difference in the two? maybe they sent me the wrong one.. Either way its coming off for a better one.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
So there is a difference in the two? maybe they sent me the wrong one.. Either way its coming off for a better one.

If yours looks like the one in the link you posted, it is a bar and plate. There are different bar and plate designs though, and you will see what I mean when you see the Procharger core. Do you have a shop vac you could test your other one with to see if it flows air? Or even better a compressor.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back