Car Builder Loses Mustang to Copyright

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Names can be trademarked. Build a car, a station wagon economy car and call it a Mustang and see how fast Ford shuts that shit down.

Characters are protected by copyright. There are nuanced differences.

Last edited:

totaljustice

Reaction score
Sure "Eleanor" is a given name a person might use. But once it's associated with a thing of value, a car in this case, when used in reference to that car or a replica or version, the name absolutely should be copyrighted/copyrightable. If Mustang wasn't copyrighted any dufus could make a car and a call it a Mustang or a Camaro or a LeSabre or LS1 or [insert any identifiable name].

Dude should have known better. He was clearly trying to profit off a known brand without paying for the right to do so to the brand owner.

No different than my casting up pliers and calling/selling them as Channel Locks. Names can have value. Manufacturers/creators have the right to make money of the product and the name is part of the product.

Wrong intellectual property is BS!!!! If I build anything because I like it, then it should be too F'ing bad for anyone else. Just like a song. If I buy a song, as far as I'm concerned, it is now mine to do with as I please. American BS copyright law is ruining planet Earth

MrBhp

Reaction score
Wrong intellectual property is BS!!!! If I build anything because I like it, then it should be too F'ing bad for anyone else. Just like a song. If I buy a song, as far as I'm concerned, it is now mine to do with as I please. American BS copyright law is ruining planet Earth
I'm a writer. When I spend my resources to produce a piece that I then have published, it belongs to me. Why the hell should someone else benefit financially from my work without paying me? Would it be ok to get your employer/client to send your paycheck my way? Apparently so. But opinions are just that. I have mine, you have yours. Cool.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

You'd feel different if you had an independent original thought or idea that had/produced something of value.

If you had an idea how to fix a problem that others were stumped by, that would have huge value. By your reasoning, you should give that idea away because your not entitled to the benefits of being smart enough to figure out the fix.

When you buy a song you buy the right to possess and listen to that song as much as you want. You don't have the right to copy and resell that and make money off it.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
Cobra the movie or the car?
[emoji23] 1950 Mercury ... Chopped so the windows were like 6" tall.
22fab827b7317d0c950c59b153cba27c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back