Car decided to piss out its fluids today

5.0H

forum member
Reaction score
So I went to the gas station today and filled up 93. Uploaded my 93 bama race tune to enjoy for the next week (or however long the tank lasts) and away I went. I drove a half mile to the freeway entrance. I did WOT on the ramp and took the car up to about 90 then back down to 75 the rest of the way (only 1 exit). I got off the highway and I'm sitting at the light and I hear a funky noise. I give the engine a little gas and it goes away. Did that two more times and the light turned green. Drive three miles til I got home and I parked in the driveway to move something out of my garage spot. It idled for two minutes and there was no weird sound. I pull the car in and as I walk around I notice a frisbee size puddle of what appears to be oil. I pop the hood and I smell coolant as well. I had to leave the car to go golfing with the old man. When I got home three hours later there was a nice stream of oil running down to the passenger rear tire. I put the front end on stands and go under and there is oil all over the transmission. It gets me thinking it's transmission fluid but I rule that out...I was able to shift normally on the way home and pumping the clutch didn't release any fluid. The bottom of the engine is bone dry. All of the oil is on the transmission and looks to be coming from the upper corner of the engine on the drivers side. I wasnt able to pinpoint it by just poking my head around from above or below. And as far as the coolant goes, for those of you who read one of my previous threads, last month I had the thermostat gasket go on me. It appears now that it's coming from the same spot so I'm having my mechanic check things out tomorrow. Here are a few shots I took of the transmission. Anyone know what the hell is going on? Could I have done something by opening it up on the freeway entrance????? I'm getting fed up with this engine. Someone please tell me I did something to the transmission and am gonna need to pull the engine...cuz I'd love to put up a WTB 5.4L thread right now :D

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343702383.906309.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343702395.229743.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343702407.442512.jpg

And yes that is coolant covering the cross member...not oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Find out which fluids are low.
Is it oil, power steering fluid, or brake fluid?
The coolant could be overflow from being overfilled.

The run-down on the trans case looks kind of reddish, like it's not engine oil. Maybe it's the light or pics. How far to the front does that stuff go?

Is there a vent on that part of the transmission, or could fluid have vented out?
Were fluids overfilled somewhere?

Your water leakage may be a separate issue.

Kind of hard to tell without knowing where it's coming from exactly. Naturally.
But since your mechanic will be looking at it, you'll find out.

5.0H

forum member
Reaction score
it does look almost reddish which makes me think it's not oil. it only gets the driver's side corner of the engine and then it goes all the way back to the driveshaft. It didn't leak at all last night so it's only leaking while it's hot.

the coolant tank is back to almost empty so it's definitely not an overflow issue.

I'll let you guys know what dave and I find tonight.

R-Rated

forum member
Reaction score
Being a little reddish in color i was thinking that you could be leaking coolant from one of the hoses that runs to the heater core or even a possible freeze plug leaking. Maybe the reddish color is residual rust in the coolant form the cast iron block the 4.0 has.

It also could be power steering fluid possibly leaking from a line, fitting or reservoir.

5.0H

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think it was rusty coolant. the coolant that sprayed towards the front of the engine bay was nice and green. I'm leaning towards power steering. going to Dave's at 6 so stay tuned.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How is your power steering fluid level? Have you looked at the color of your steering fluid and compared it to whats leaking?

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Well, power steering fluid should still be red mercon V auto trans fluid.
Red coolant is a good suggestion, if that is what was used; but since he has the green stuff, that isnt likely coolant. It being residual coolant though, perhaps washing off crap from previous leakage, could be it, too. But the color and solidity of the drip doesnt look like water, it is simply too dark.

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
Its probably your thermostat housing. They are notorious for splitting and leaking. Good luck and report back what you find.

5.0H

forum member
Reaction score
Dave was stumped as to the "oil" issue. He was sure it was oil but I'm still skeptical. We couldn't trace the oil to the origin and he thinks it burned off from the heat of the engine. He suggested taking it to a local mustang expert (Mustangs Unlimited, LLC for those in the area) so I will probably be doing that on Saturday. The car did not leak going to Dave's or coming back. I don't know what the hell to do now. :angry1:

As for the coolant...it's definitely the thermostat housing since we could see dried coolant from the crack in it. He's replacing it next Tuesday so until then I'll just be keeping an eye out on the level.

Mike - sending you a pm as soon as I finish writing it.

JimC

Reaction score
As soon as you said you had to replace the "thermostat gasket" ........ wrong part. Thermostat housing as you've now discovered. The gasket is rarely the problem on the 4.0.

Could it be red because of coolant streaming back across the cast iron exhaust manifold and picking up color from that? If I am reading your description correctly, it is all on the passenger side, which is the side where the coolant will go once the thermostat housing opens up at the seam.

Once that seam opens up it will flow out pretty hard and quick. When mine finally split at 199,881 miles it was a gusher under the hood and there was no way to keep coolant in the car. It is only about a half hour job if your car is NA - if you have an Xcharger like my old car did, then it takes a lot longer because one bolt is hidden by the lower intake.

Last edited:

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I fit was oil, it can come from a few places, such as from one of the intake manifold gaskets (although it would probably idle like crap due to a vacuum leak), passenger side PCV fitting and tube, driver side ventilation tube, etc. But, oil residue would still be there on the trans case if it was oil.
If you do have the t-stat housing that is leaking, I'd replace that first and just keep an eye open for a reoccurrence of other fluids. And I assume you've checked your oils level and it's proper as well.

(Kevin, pm replied to :001:)

5.0H

forum member
Reaction score
got the thermostat housing all swapped out today so that's good to go. Dave was able to shine a brighter light on the driver's side rear portion of the engine block and use a mirror to locate the general area that it is coming from. He saw remnants of oil by the bolt connecting the ground wire on the upper driver's side corner of the block by the head. Because this issue is so intermittent, he does not think it is the head gasket. If it was, I'd be leaking everywhere and all the time. Now Mike, or whoever, correct me if I'm wrong, but is there some sort of valley pan under the intake? Dave's best guess is that the gasket for that (assuming it exists) went bad and whenever the oil sloshes up near where it has failed, I get the oil leak. Considering I had this issue when I punched it down the on ramp, that kind of makes sense. Let me know if you guys have any input. Thanks :hi:

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Yes there's a valley under the manifold. Oil could come from several places, but being there, most likely from a intake manifold gasket, pcv line, or even from the TB. Normally there will be oil sucked into the intake via the PCV line from the passenger side valve cover to the intake manifold, and that oil normally gets sucked into the engine through the intake manifold. But it can pool up in there too. Get back to the TB. And if there's a weak seal on one of the manifold ports, leak around there.
But there should normally not be ANY oil in the valley or anywhere outside the engine, if your PCV is all closed up. (if you run a breather, for example, that opens it up and oil can get out that way).
Hope that helps some.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back