Car is getting up there in age...

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
and the black plastic stuff is starting to turn grey, like the grill and the cowl. What are y'all using to get this stuff back to black? The 303 isn't really cutting it any more. Still works great on the inside, but the outside stuff is really starting to fade.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
I replaced my cowl with fresh plastic. Pretty cheap. Our BULLITT grills are too hard to find, I used Adams trim restorer. Worked really good

JJ427R

Reaction score
I've used Mothers back to black on my side trim panels and that worked pretty well on those, grille and cowl I'm not sure? I replaced my grille with the Roush 7 Bar.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
If you don't mind redoing it every year, just paint them with black spray paint. I do that with the grills and headlight surrounds on my work trucks and they look great. I get 2-3 years between repainting.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I tried Mother's Back to black, it does not last very long. Replace or paint I think are the best options.
Or just accept the "patina"....

07 Boss

Reaction score
I've painted front grills a couple of times. Easy peasy and results are always good. Where I have an issue is my front cowl at the base of the windshield and those little drip rails on the roof. Figured I would paint them but never looked into how to get them off the car.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
The drip rails should be easy to remove, collision estimating program lists R&I at like .3 labor hours. Just don't ask my how they are attached. lol

07 Boss

Reaction score
The drip rails should be easy to remove, collision estimating program lists R&I at like .3 labor hours. Just don't ask my how they are attached. lol

Yeah I would hate to break some little clip and have it sticking up and shit. I guess I could look in my Chiltons and see if it's covered. Just never bothered me to the point of doing something about it.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I would hate to break some little clip and have it sticking up and shit. I guess I could look in my Chiltons and see if it's covered. Just never bothered me to the point of doing something about it.
They’re clipped down, I only know because I have one broken clip near the rear glass so my trim doesn’t sit flush back there. Not sure how you’re supposed to actually remove them though..

13v6

Reaction score
You can't just put shoe polish on it and think it's fixed. You need to rejuvenate the oils back into the plastic. Look at somethings like Lithium Auto Elixirs Trim Serum and 303 aerospace protectant to keep it from fading. It protects it from UV rays. It can also help to rejuvenate. That's what I use.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
IGL Ecocoat Trim. It's like 50 bucks. Will last a year or 2. More coats you put on longer will last. Will fix faded plastic. Autogeek sells it

Mustang Mark

forum member
Reaction score
I heat gun works wonders to revive faded black plastic. Just clean it really well prior to using it.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back