Car will not move in D

Towelie

forum member
Reaction score
So a friend of mine has an 07 auto GT, and when you put it in D, it won't move under its own power. If you manually shift it down into first second or third, it will move just fine, but it obviously will not shift. If you start driving with it in manually set to first through third, then shift it into D, it will drive just fine until you stop. Then you have to repeat the process to get moving. Its a pain in the ass. I was thinking at first it might be the range sensor, so i got under the car and made sure that it was aligned correctly, it wasn't, but when I realigned it it kept doing the same thing.

Whats weird is when I datalogged it, the ECU was getting the (what I assume are) right signals from the range sensor. 21 in first, 22 in second, 23 in third, 45 in D, 50 in Neutral, 55 in reverse, and 60 in park. When I put it manually in first, the car goes into gear and the intermediate shaft speed is zero, as expected. But when I put it in D, the shift solenoids are commanding the same signals as when its shifted into 1, but the intermediate shaft speed hovers around the 400-500 range. It seems as if its just not getting it into gear for whatever reason.

Has anybody else experienced this before? The car is 9 hours away from home and I'm not really wanting to have to limp it home in fear of it getting worse. but I might have to we'll see.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
I wish I could help, but I don't have a clue. Hope you get it resolved, that will be a long way to tow it or limp home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The problem is that it could be hardware, solenoid, or trans controller. There are some trouble shooting youtube vids, but not easy without the right shop tools.

07 Boss

Reaction score
So it up shifts fine but it doesn't downshift back into first when you come to a stop. Once you are in drive, will it kick down into a lower gear when you give it enough throttle? When you come to a stop in drive is it in gear at all? I mean does she stay in fourth or fifth or does it go into neutral?

Just trying to narrow it down with some more specific symptoms. These synchronous trannies are a new thing to me and operate differently than what my limited knowledge is based on.

Towelie

forum member
Reaction score
It shifts just fine when you're moving. Floor it and it downshifts as it's supposed to. When you come to a stop it's basically in neutral. It'll rev to the moon and not go anywhere.

Lito thinks I could be the range sensor, I'm gonna swap that out and see if it's the culprit

CJ-

forum member
Reaction score
I hope I dont come off as Captain Obvious here but have you checked the ATF fluid level yet? because what your describing sounds like its very low on ATF.

Towelie

forum member
Reaction score
No. I thought that and I must have gotten distracted. How do you check it on these cars, I didn't see a dip stick

CJ-

forum member
Reaction score
No. I thought that and I must have gotten distracted. How do you check it on these cars, I didn't see a dip stick

no dipstick, i'd take it to a shop to add some fluid so you have to bother removing the fill bolt on the side of the trans and buying a little pump to refill the trans with ATF.

07 Boss

Reaction score
no dipstick, i'd take it to a shop to add some fluid so you have to bother removing the fill bolt on the side of the trans and buying a little pump to refill the trans with ATF.

The 5R55S fluid level is checked and filled from the drain plug. It has to be done on a lift with the engine running.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
The 5r55s will have this tendency to puke atf at times, hence why a JDM catch can is installed. No dip stick is fubar. No easy way to check atf level, nor any easy way to drain or fill. I installed the PA performance pan, which has a drain plug, plus a locking type dipstick, which ends up on the firewall, next to battery. Big enough to easily add atf, if required. New pan holds an extra 4 qts.

Just get it checked..and replaced, the level is probably way too low, and what's left in there is probably crap. If the level is too low, it will slip, when in D, when the light turns green.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back