Changing cams without removing followers (rocker arms)

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
I will be changing the Mutha Thumpers out to Detroit Rockers this weekend. I've seen YouTube videos where reputable shops do not remove the cam followers. They just loosen the caps evenly and then tighten them back down evenly and say it works fine. What are your thoughts? Is it a risk or not a big deal? Where would the timing mark need to be on the crank to have the least number of valves with pressure on them from the cam?
I don't have a spring compression tool and I don't want to buy one if I don't need it.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks
I looked for 30 minutes and didn't find anything.

OK, still nothing about leaving the followers in. I need to know if anyone has just pulled the cam without taking the followers out before removing the cam. Then reinstalled the new cam with all the followers still in place.

Last edited:

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVlS9-C02Q0

I did it, it's easy enough but the cams will "snap" around once you take the phaser off. So on mine I put the new cams in and put the phaser on first, then set the cam into the towers. Once you start putting the caps on it will draw the cam down in and you should be fine. You might have to rotate the engine between sides to make sure there is the least amount of spring pressure on the front lobes- I didn't do this and my passenger side was kind of a bitch because of it.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Ok
Thanks for the info. I have watched this video before but didn't notice the cam turn after the phaser was removed until you said that it would. Do you know of a certain spot to put the crank timing marks so that there is the least number of valves with pressure on them?

07 Boss

Reaction score
Ok
Thanks for the info. I have watched this video before but didn't notice the cam turn after the phaser was removed until you said that it would. Do you know of a certain spot to put the crank timing marks so that there is the least number of valves with pressure on them?

Follow the Ford instructions except for removing the followers. The final position they tell you to put it in will only have the 3 followers you left in pushing against the cam.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Ok 07 Boss that makes sense. If for some reason it doesn't want to go back together then it would be in the correct place to install them with a tool after the cam was bolted down.
Thanks

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
I've done it several times without removing the followers. Just loosen the caps evenly until they're off. In case the came does turn slightly, simply use a pair of vice grips or similar(not on the lobes) to rotate it back where you need it while you slip the phaser back on.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
I did it. Really not that hard. Just slowly loosen the bolts in the reverse torque sequence. Putting can back in you need to go very slow and easy. One or two followers may move on you. Then if can isn't lined up to phaser just put a rag over end of cam and turn with pliers till it lines up.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I got one side done this evening. 3 of the followers kept moving but I excercized extreme patience and was able to get it. Thanks for the replies. I guess I just needed a confidence boost that I could do it that way.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
OK, the other side went well and everything stayed in place. I had to use vice grips like was stated to get the key lined up on both sides. Some small marks on the shaft but not in an area that touches anything. Thanks for the comments and the help.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Hopefully this weekend I will be able to start it up.
Jon Lund says the nGauge is on its way with the start-up tune in it and I should get my Procharger piping welded back together this week. If I get it all together this weekend I will start it up.

greenmonster2

forum member
Reaction score
I will be changing the Mutha Thumpers out to Detroit Rockers this weekend. I've seen YouTube videos where reputable shops do not remove the cam followers. They just loosen the caps evenly and then tighten them back down evenly and say it works fine. What are your thoughts? Is it a risk or not a big deal? Where would the timing mark need to be on the crank to have the least number of valves with pressure on them from the cam?
I don't have a spring compression tool and I don't want to buy one if I don't need it.

Are you going to sell the mutha thumpers ?

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
I posted the Video on another thread about tuning with the nGauge. Lund Racing is freaking awesome.

Yes the Mutha Thumpers are for sale. They are posted in the for sale section.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back