Cheap Data Acquisition output...

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
I thought I would share my first attempt at data overlay from Android apps "Trackmaster" and "Torque" using RaceChrono2AVI for the "gauges".

I asked my buddy John to assist me by letting me mount my phone and CANBUS reader to his GT500 during a lapping session.

Data is a little laggy due to the sampling rate (1hz) of the GPS, but could be improved easily. Getting the timing of the RPM and throttle data is difficult as I am having to cut and paste it in from another application.

Overall this needs some fine-tuning but not bad for less than $200 invested.

All you need is an Android phone for lap timing and positioning. If you want vehicle data like RPM, boost, throttle positioning etc you will need the CANBUS reader (mine is from www.obdkey.com).

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
very cool.. maybe bluetooth canbus transmission?

beers :beer:

Correct--I am using bluetooth to send the data to my phone for recording. They also have wifi and hardwired readers.

Bluetooth GPS unit could send speed and positioning data at 5 or 10hz (5 to 10x faster) so that would be the area for improvement. I can get OBD data at 10hz w/ the OBDkey.

Swoope

Reaction score
Correct--I am using bluetooth to send the data to my phone for recording. They also have wifi and hardwired readers.

Bluetooth GPS unit could send speed and positioning data at 5 or 10hz (5 to 10x faster) so that would be the area for improvement. I can get OBD data at 10hz w/ the OBDkey.

i have a semi older garmin sirif 11 bluetooth reciver if you want to play with it..

got this is so going to get me out of my touchpro2 wm phone. with super cheap plan just to to this!!!

you bastards..

beers

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
Wait, so how did you do the actual overlay?

It's a pretty manual process.

Trackmaster app allows you to output in "Video format" which is an excel sheet in a RaceChrono2AVI format. (.csv). I had to paste RPM and throttle data into this sheet from another excel output application (Torque) which gathers pre-selected OBD PIDs.

Then you use the program RaceChrono2AVI to set up the look of your "dashboard" and gauges, and load the .csv file to it to "record" the run. That creates a .avi file of the dashboard w/ all the info.

Then I used the picture-in-picture feature of Pinnacle Studio 12 to overlay the dashboard video onto the existing video. I had to use the start/finish line as a reference point when to start the dash.

Kobie

forum member
Reaction score
Damn. 1:06.8 lap time? I thought I was doing ok running 1:14's.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
Damn. 1:06.8 lap time? I thought I was doing ok running 1:14's.

There is always room for improvement! :)

If you've really got the track figured out you can punch out a 1:02 or 1:03...and if you've got a REAL racecar and REAL skills you can crack a 0:59.

I'm not there yet :eek: My best time from the last time I was on track was a 1:07 flat.

Last edited:

Kobie

forum member
Reaction score
Are there maps of Firebird Main, West and East that have the correct line drawn on them?

Ch4r1ie

The Limey Bastard
Reaction score
Why, you can't exactly watch the screen as you drive them can you? lol

I use RaceChrono and the track maps available, or that you plot yourself, are not that detailed, they simply track your laps, lap times and, if setup, split times.

If you want to learn the correct line at any circuit, I'd recommend going out with one of the local instructors :thumb2:

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
Are there maps of Firebird Main, West and East that have the correct line drawn on them?

Not that I know of...but next time you go out I can give you some pointers if you want.

I haven't run with NASA in a few years but I am an instructor at ProAutoSports.

Back