Clicking problem...

08Mudstain

Reaction score
Well I did more troubleshooting on it today. It's definately not the blower motor. I disconnected it and it still did it. It's definately in the dash only. In the defrost position it won't make the noise. So what's the air diverter part called that routes air to diferent parts of the dash? It sounds like it's stuck trying to decide what is center.

08Mudstain

Reaction score
Found it! It's the mode door actuater. Thanks klaw for the link earlier. Now the fun part. There's 2 actuators. One for defrost and one for air. Looking at the pictures I can't tell which is which. I do know that when I disconnect the upper one the clicking stops. Better news is that it's just 2 screws and a connector. Bed news is Ford will probably rape me. I had to lower the glove box and look up to find it. So for those with this problem can look there.

08Mudstain

Reaction score
I'm going camping tomorrow morning and won't be back for a couple days. When I get back I'll take pictures and a video so people can hear what it sounds like. I'll keep everyone up to speed when I get back.

08Mudstain

Reaction score
Slight update... I went to the ford dealership and got a price and ordered the door valve actuator. $25.25 with tax. Too bad they didn't have it and I didn't feel like driving the 70+ miles to get it. So I'll have it tomorrow. There'll be a delay in replacing it because tomorrow I have my daughters. I'll keep eveyone updated.

08Mudstain

Reaction score
Well I replaced the mode door actuator today... YAY it's fixed. No more clicking. I took a video and some pics for those that might have this problem.

I hope you enjoy working upside down and with your left hand if you have this problem. No cussing involved tho so it's really easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYhFpytR7fg
Here's a video of the problem.

DSC00137.jpg

Lower your Glove box and it's up under your dash.

DSC00140.jpg

See the red connector on the right... yeah thats the plug for it. The bottom left corner is part of the dash. This is taken from the passenger side looking toward the driver side and under the glove box.

DSC00141.jpg

Here's a better picture of how it sits under the dash.

DSC00145.jpg

Here's the old and new actuator side by side. Notice the position of the arm. The new one is on the right.

DSC00147.jpg

So I took it apart and found a broken gear tooth.

I've been reading on diferent forums and after searching for the part number that Ford did a craptastic job engineering this actuator. There is no physical limit switch for the door. It has an over current sensor that is tripped when the door is closed and jams shut and the motor can't turn anymore.

I really hope this will help anyone with the same problem but chose to ignore it because it's just an audiable pain in the butt for a second or two. If you ignore it, sooner or later you will only end up with either fully hot or fully cold and no in between.

08Mudstain

Reaction score
Well I replaced the mode door actuator today... YAY it's fixed. No more clicking. I took a video and some pics for those that might have this problem.

I hope you enjoy working upside down and with your left hand if you have this problem. No cussing involved tho so it's really easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYhFpytR7fg
Here's a video of the problem.

DSC00137.jpg

Lower your Glove box and it's up under your dash.

DSC00140.jpg

See the red connector on the right... yeah thats the plug for it. The bottom left corner is part of the dash. This is taken from the passenger side looking tward the driver side and under the glove box.

DSC00141.jpg

Here's a better picture of how it sits under the dash.

DSC00145.jpg

Here's the old and new actuator side by side. Notice the position of the arm. The new one is on the right.

DSC00147.jpg

So I took it apart and found a broken gear tooth.

I've been reading on diferent forums and after searching for the part number that Ford did a craptastic job engineering this actuator. There is no physical limit switch for the door. It has an over current sensor that is tripped when the door is closed and jams shut and the motor can't turn anymore.

I really hope this will help anyone with the same problem but chose to ignore it because it's just an audiable pain in the butt for a second or two. If you ignore it, sooner or later you will only end up with either fully hot or fully cold and no in between.

betoesca

Reaction score
I had the same problem. I bought the part at a local dealership and replaced myself. It took me about a half hour. The time consuming part was sliding the new part into the correct slot on the other arm.

R

rockhellion

I got a similar problem. My car makes that noise when I switch the AIR CONTROL (not the temp knob).

I did some research and someone said you have to take the instrument cluster out.

talk about pia

sucky

Last edited by a moderator:

groundpounder

forum member
Reaction score
Just had this same problem and the above directions greatly simplified the fix. Ordered the part through fordparts.com. It's the 5R3Z19E616A
Motor Assy Price: $22.18. If I bought it at the dealer it would have been $35! Order through fordparts.com and pick up at the dealer.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
tousley ford parts is the ONLY place to get parts. all prices are 10% over cost. They have that motor for 19 bucks.

FWIW ford cost is $35.20

Fishnut

Reaction score
I replaced mine but now the air does not blow out of the dash vents, is there another one that could have gone out or did I do something wrong?

It opens and closes the door fine but goes from Defrost to the floor vents.

Help please

cherrycandy001

Reaction score
Awesome!!! Thank you, I have been wondering what that pesky noise is. I am going to attempt to fix this myself. :) Fingers crossed :)

redbar0n11

forum member
Reaction score
PRAISE SWEET BABY JESUS! I have been ignoring that incessant damn noise for THOUSANDS OF MILES!... I knew it was some sort of A/C control, just not which one. Crappy part is that there are 2 motors, and it sounds like I need to crawl under there and disconnect one or the other to figure out which one to order?? Does anyone know which motor controls which settings on the A/C? If so, I could mess with my settings dial, and determine which motor is bad, so I don't have to go thru that process twice...??

GP07GT

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. It's fixed now and everything went great until my wife came out to check on me and squished my head in the door of the car.

07_CALI/SPCL

Reaction score
So this is my understanding, there are 3 actuartors in the car. Im needing the panel/floor actuator. If you look under the dash its the one thats higher up in the dash. Is this part number still 5R3Z19E616A? are both the acturators under the glove box the same part numbers?

bluewater

Reaction score
I got a similar problem. My car makes that noise when I switch the AIR CONTROL (not the temp knob).

I did some research and someone said you have to take the instrument cluster out.

talk about pia

sucky

I have clicking sound on the driver side of the actuator. I got the part from a ford dealer. When I tried to install it from under the dash, it is just not accessable to two screws. Looks like the instrument cluster has to be taken out. I thought this might be an easy fix...but it is not. I'll need to figure out how to take out the instrument cluster.

Jason09GT

forum member
Reaction score
Can this be made a sticky? I'm tired of every week a thread being made about this problem and everybody spouts off battery, cam phasers, wood pecker in your dash...it's ALWAYS THE SAME PROBLEM! FUCK! Nobody searches, and it's getting as bad as a cam thread.

OP- when my '09 started doing this, I got on all these forums and searched, and found out what it was. I'm glad there are pictures etc. in this thread to help somebody in the future.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back