Clutch pedal different after Spec 2+ intall?

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just had a Spec Stage 2+ installed on my car. I also had the slave cylinder replaced while they were at it. When I picked up the car I noticed the pedal engage/disengage point is way different than it use to be. Now the clutch is fully engaged almost as soon as it comes off the floor. And there is some slop at the top of the pedal travel. I mean when you release it fully (at the top) the pedal will still come up slightly if you pull on it. I don't remember that being there before. Is all this normal for the new clutch?

I ran a search on clutch adjustment and found there is none. Basically it is what it is.

Thanks
Randy

1Fast05Turbo

Flying Low
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My spec 2+ clutch travel and engage points are similar as stock. The only difference is the pedal is a bit stiffer.

I'm using the spec steel flywheel

Clay

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nah, this is normal. I had the exact same thing when I had my Centerforce clutch installed, but as the clutch broke in, the engage point moved out to about where it was stock. Drive the car for 500-1k miles or so in the city.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
+1 to clays statement only i have the spec 3+ and spec aluminum flywheel

rog06gt

Mash it!!!
Reaction score
Nah, this is normal. I had the exact same thing when I had my Centerforce clutch installed, but as the clutch broke in, the engage point moved out to about where it was stock. Drive the car for 500-1k miles or so in the city.
+1 the clutch will self bleed, give it a couple of days it will be back where it was before the replacement...

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll give it some time and see what happens. I changed the clutch, flywheel, and slave cylinder. The pedal is a little stiffer than stock but not too bad. I know Spec claims that the clutch with the low pedal requirement is lighter than stock but that aint the case from what I can feel. Thanks for the info guys.

Randy

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I guess mine was bled properly...
Mine may not have been. I know he told me he had to get the proper tool for bleeding this clutch. Sounds like mine was his first 05+ even though he told me he had done several before mine. We will see what happens.

Randy

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Well, I am glad to know this is normal. I was going to do my own SPEC 3 once my stock clutch goes bye-bye. I turn my own wrench and I don't have a lift. I'd be freaking out if I thought I screwed it up...

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, I am glad to know this is normal. I was going to do my own SPEC 3 once my stock clutch goes bye-bye. I turn my own wrench and I don't have a lift. I'd be freaking out if I thought I screwed it up...
What he described does not seem normal for a 2+ - I have a 3+ and still have some travel to "slip". What he described sounds like a poorly bled clutch as suggested above...

The 3+ is definitely "harsher" than stock (which is very mushy), but still very driveable. The "low pedal effort" version should be a very nice balance IMO....

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Cool...I am pretty stoked about the 3. I have heard good stuff about SPEC hardware. I know I am going to do the job soon. I have smoked the stock clutch a couple of times while racing last month and this month. Man do these ford clutch-pads smell bad too.

As far as Streetable is concerned, it is mostly an opinion. LOL... My jeep had a 6" lift kit, 4:1 transfercase output, 4:10 R&P + fulltime lockers front / rear and 36" suspension travel. Drove that bad boy to work every day!!! I felt like I was rolling in a M1-A.

264091_203_full.jpg

Last edited:

BlackSpirit

Reaction score
I installed mine about 800 miles ago, and it settled in but mine is near the very end, so much so it slips under high RPMS. I need it lower? any info?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
zombie_thread.jpg

you also installed a Spec 1 from your other thread.... sounds like maybe you dont have enough clutch

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Talk about back from the dead... damn, I got rid of the POS Spec 2+ long ago. Never could get it right and it just got harder and harder to press. Had several different shops work on it to no avail. Spec was of absolutely no help during all the calls I made to them. Finally put a McLeod RST in it and haven't looked back. But I agree with stkjock, if you put a Spec 1 in you probably don't have enough clutch.

TorchedGT

Mustang Operator
Reaction score
a good clutch seems to be hard to find for these new cars... they should of kept it cable operated. between the hydraulic clutch and throttle by wire, these new cars feel numb sadly...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back