Clutch swap with FRPP intake manifold

Rick Simons

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to pull the trans to replace the throwout bearing that just starting making noise, and of course with 127k on the clock I'll replace all of the clutch components while I'm in there. The only thing that concerns me is that the top rear of the intake manifold is very close to the firewall (1/2"+/-), and because of this I'm not sure I'll be able to drop the rear of the engine far enough to access the upper bellhousing bolts with the intake in place. Anyone out there done a clutch replacement with this intake manifold in place? It won't bother me to remove it if necessary, but I don't want to do the extra work if I can help it. Thanks for any relevant input!

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Me too,
For the time it takes to remove the manifold, it saves so much aggravation when removing the top 2 bolts.
With practice, it is pretty easy to get it off in ~10 minutes.

Mustang dog

forum member
Reaction score
Make sure you space out your throwout bearing. My new TOB and clutch assembly had the TOB 100,000" out of spec. I contacted Mcleod and they advised to install a clutch pedal limiter/stop. Yes the TOB's are that sensitive to range. I thought it was "close enough:".

Rick Simons

Reaction score
Make sure you space out your throwout bearing. My new TOB and clutch assembly had the TOB 100,000" out of spec. I contacted Mcleod and they advised to install a clutch pedal limiter/stop. Yes the TOB's are that sensitive to range. I thought it was "close enough:".
Is that 100,000" as in .100"? What is this spec?

Rick Simons

Reaction score
Seems to me the TOB position would be self-adjusting since it has a spring inside that keeps it extended. If I'm wrong I'm open to correction. IMHO one more reason to stick with an OEM TOB.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Seems to me the TOB position would be self-adjusting
The hydraulic throw out bearing is self adjusting. You just don’t want it at the end of its travel. I don’t remember where I saw a Ford procedure for measuring the TOB preload with a 3650 but the spec. was about one inch. The Ford, the Exedy and the McLoed TOB are the same length.

cgornowich

forum member
Reaction score
The trick to unbolting the bellhousing from the engine block is a LONG socket extension, I used a 36" one with with a "universal joint". I have a different intake, a saleen supercharger, and it's very close to the firewall like yours. And this worked for me.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
When I removed mine I used a super long extension as well. It's about 3ft long as well, and then used a universal on it, and then another shorter extension, and then another universal with the socket.

Rick Simons

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the input. I'm leaning towards getting them from the top as I can't even see them from below.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
If you pull the battery and tray you can reach down and touch the top right bolt.

Deon Lee

Reaction score
Yea I’ve gotten so good at taking off my manifold I can do it in about 15 min now and that’s with taking the strut tower brace off and all the nitrous lines that are added in the way. Takes about the same amount of time to put it back on. There’s only ten 10mm bolts holding the manifold on. And you got 2 10mm bolts on one fuel rail and 2 8mm bolts on the other fuel rail. Other than that just the intake tube/cold air intake and wires

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back