Coilover Install Guide/How-to?

08 Vapor

forum member
Reaction score
I'm trying to do as much of the work on my car as possible, as usual, without having to bring it to a shop. We have an awesome local Mustang shop called RealSpeed where my car will eventually be tuned, but I want to attempt this myself first. I'm looking for a comprehensive guide to installing a set of coilovers on an 05-10 Mustang GT. Is there one available out there?

I have a set of Ground Control Coilovers in their street valved version and I purchased them lightly used (read: without instructions). I did a search and came up with DusterRT's old thread on his install, but I'm looking for something a bit more in-depth and step-by-step. I appreciate any and all help. Thanks!

Chris

[Mods: If you feel this is better placed in the "Corner Carver" sub-forum, feel free to move accordingly. I consider suspension modification tech, but not everyone agrees.]

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
I think this is a valid section for this as any. The Corner-Carver section does often degrade some posts into "Help me build my suspension" but I think the intent was to give a place to play for folks into corner carving in an S197 which requires discussion about suspension and all of that. It is safe to say not everyone who builds their suspension up is interested in corner carving.

At anyrate, the install is pretty straight forward as you don't have to fuss with spring compressors or removing anything as I would think they come pre assembled. If not assemble the units off the car then the swap is as easy as removing the old strut assembly and replacing it with the coilover set up, which amounts to removing 6 bolts and some push on christmas tree pins for the ABS sensor wires/brake lines. The rear is even easier, remove the shocks jack up the rear axle via the diff with the car on stands, push down on one side, swap spring out and repeat on the other side. Don't push down too far or you can strain the brake lines (which are a bit short).

The Motorz episode is pretty good but they don't show the proper set up of the car with the corner weighting, just how to adjust the rideheight IIRC. Cornerweighting is one of the most important features of proper coilover kits and not doing it means you wasted money and should have just bought standard lowering springs with Koni dampers.

08 Vapor

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the information, guys. I'll be sure to check that youtube channel out tonight in prep for the install. Whiskey11, you're correct in assuming the coilover assemblies come fully assembled. I just hope there has been enough R&D by Ground Control to make the installation straightforward without many modifications or fab work. Famous last words, I'm sure...

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
Let me see if I can dig up a wright up I did on installing lowering springs. Pretty much same write up for getting everything on the car. But you're on your own on adjusting.

Ok I was looking at my write up and I would have to edit it and re arrange items and blah blah blah.
So here is another one from American Muscle.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-racing-ksprings-0509-install.html

Last edited:

08 Vapor

forum member
Reaction score

08 Vapor

forum member
Reaction score
For anyone else looking, the Motorz channel on youtube that some members suggested is pretty awesome. Definitely worth stopping by and blowing 8 to 10 hours of your life (at work, hopefully) watching the host install all kinds of mods.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back