coilovers?

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
i need to find a set. i currently have a pro-kit,installed on my stock struts. I have set of the yellow konis going on next week. I was planning on getting the ground control ($400)coil overs to go with the konis. i need to be able to raise my car up when i go to the track becuase of the size of the front tires.

i was just looking around and came across some "NEX" coilovers that would also be in my proce range.

anyone heard of them before?

any other brands out there in the $700-$800 range?

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not trying to discourage you but you do know that it's not just a matter of raising the car with the coilovers don't you? The complete front end settings have to be changed when you raise the car like that, you can't just crank up the spring setting and go.

Earl

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Not trying to discourage you but you do know that it's not just a matter of raising the car with the coilovers don't you? The complete front end settings have to be changed when you raise the car like that, you can't just crank up the spring setting and go.

Earl

not following you......what front end settings? i have no front sway bar.....i would imagine the front shock settings but i dont have the konis yet so i dont even know what those are yet. i just know i cant drive the car the way it is now with only 26" tires on the front.

Rubrignitz

forum member
Reaction score
Are you saying you just want to raise the rear of the car via spring perch adjusters (coilovers)? Or are you looking to raise the front as well with the GC threaded adjusters?

Rubrignitz

forum member
Reaction score
Not trying to discourage you but you do know that it's not just a matter of raising the car with the coilovers don't you? The complete front end settings have to be changed when you raise the car like that, you can't just crank up the spring setting and go.Earl

I think what retfr8flyr is talking about is alignment settings. Resetting camber, toe etc after raising the front end.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
I think what retfr8flyr is talking about is alignment settings. Resetting camber, toe etc after raising the front end.

gotcha.....id only be raising it up for a trip to the track and when i got home id put my regular wheels back on and back to the original settings. i doubt that would effect the skinnies too much.

Rubrignitz

forum member
Reaction score
I see what you're saying. I think the GC adapters will be the most cost-effective but I'm not certain of the other options out there. If you go dedicated coilovers rather than the GC adapters it's going to be expensive though, especially since you just purchased some nice konis.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
well i was looking at these ones called "NEX", they are $700 to my door. I have not installed the konis so i could sell those along with my prokit to pay for half of the "NEX" ones..........im just unfamiliar with the name brand "NEX"......so im not sure if maybe id be better off with GC/Koni set up.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
one eyed willy,

For what it's worth, this is my first domestic but we can agree that good companies continue to make good products and that a coilover is a basic design.

On that note, on my previous cars, I've gone through tons and tons of coilovers. In your price range, they all end up being more or less similar and are produced by a couple of companies, and rebranded or tweaked to look slightly different.

That being said, I would look into:

-BC Racing
-Megan Racing
-D2
-Ksport

I have never ever heard of "NEX", a link would be helpful, especially for finding out who makes their coilovers.

As for your GC/Koni, I would argue that's a pretty solid set up given Koni shocks are excellent in my opinion and GC's are pretty standard and quality equipment across the board.

If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck!

Rubrignitz

forum member
Reaction score
As much as I'd like to tell you to go with something else and buy those Koni's off you, truth is you're better off using the Koni's with the GC collars. You won't find better dampers than the Konis in any of the lower cost ($800-$1500) coilover setups.

Brain_Mach1

Reaction score
gotcha.....id only be raising it up for a trip to the track and when i got home id put my regular wheels back on and back to the original settings. i doubt that would effect the skinnies too much.
I was assuming your were raising it for road course tires. If you are raising it to fit skinnies you are actually working in the right direction.

When you raise the car, it will reduce the camber, which will actually offer lower rolling resistance in a straight line.

This is assuming your aren't raising the car to beyond 0 camber.

Go for it.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
They're pretty standard everywhere.

I still recommend the BC Racing coilovers though.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back