Combustion chamber damage

kwadkins

forum member
Reaction score
Can this damage that was caused by a foreign object be repaired? I was planning on cleaning up the castings up and polishing the ports and combustion chamber myself. can this damaged be fixed. Or do I need a new head ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 71

kwadkins

forum member
Reaction score
by removing material in that combustion chamber to repair it I'll have to do the same on the other 7 right?. Will it affect my compression ratio

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
by removing material in that combustion chamber to repair it I'll have to do the same on the other 7 right?. Will it affect my compression ratio

I would smooth it just enough to remove any sharp edges. I would not mess with the other cylinders.

Eel Mit

forum member
Reaction score
Absolutely. If you just take material off during the process of smoothing out the damage (sharp edges that can create a nidus for preignition) the compression will be a bit lower in that cylinder. You may want to do all the chambers to equalize them.

If you are really OCD, a good machine shop can weld new material in and refinish the chamber to the original size. But, this is usually reserved for expensive (ported) or hard to find heads.

Just keep in mind you need to check for broken guides and damage to valve seats in that chamber.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
If the valves and seats are good, you can just smooth it out while polishing the heads. No need for machine work IMO.

kwadkins

forum member
Reaction score
Spark plug

I water tested the valves and seats. No leaks

Last edited by a moderator:

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
I would ditch it if youre boosted just because the added cyl. Temps. Even if you cut off the sharp edges the divots are going to cause hot spots. If you are n\a I would say you should be fine with cleaning the chamber up.

1bad99

forum member
Reaction score
take to local machine shop and just plain the heads all they do is make them even again without taking off much

kwadkins

forum member
Reaction score
When this happened it had a Paxton on it. I'm going to run it by a machine shop and see what they think.

408Stang

forum member
Reaction score
Have a qualified welder add some aluminum back in the damaged parts and then have a machine shop surface the heads flat. It'll be better than new.

Eel Mit

forum member
Reaction score
Have a qualified welder add some aluminum back in the damaged parts and then have a machine shop surface the heads flat. It'll be better than new.

Again, weigh the price vs getting a new (used) head with no damage.

If your heads have an expensive port job, they may be worth welding and machining.

For a daily driver engine, just knock down sharp edges ( to reduce hot spots and detonation) with a flapper wheel, have the valves / seats in that cylinder checked and run it as is.

Back