Connect the wires O.O

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
About to attach the 9pin din cable to the wideband wires so I can plug it in to my xcal 2 for datalogging.

I have the blue and white wires on the wideband and don't know which pins they connect to on the din cable. Anyone have any clue?

Also, do I need to ground the ground wire from the din cable too? or just from the wideband (wideband is already grounded and working etc).

Attachments

• widebandwires.png
    widebandwires.png
    78.1 KB · Views: 40

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
You only want to use the 0-5v analog wire from the gauge, and not the serial one.

Depending on the cable, you'll have to find the wire that you need. Some cables (I've read) have different color wires, so if i say "connect to the orange wire", that might work on my cable, but not on yours.
best bet is to use an ohmmeter and figure out the wire you need to go to the proper analog pin.

As far as ground, you need to be careful there (and I'll let someone else answer that). You could create a ground loop, which would through off the voltage a little bit.
The sct device is already grounded through the obdii connector, so ground at that pin, by default, should be that same ground reference.

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
So from the picture of the cable, either analog 1 or analog 2 would be the one that connects to the widebands white 0-5v wire.

I can figure out the wire color if I know which analog (1 or 2) to use o_O

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There's no such thing as a ground loop; it's either a good ground or a bad ground. A good ground has low resistance and thus no noise.

For a good ground, run it to the same ground lug that the PCM uses.

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
So from the picture of the cable, either analog 1 or analog 2 would be the one that connects to the widebands white 0-5v wire.

I can figure out the wire color if I know which analog (1 or 2) to use o_O

Yes white wire to either pin for analog in 1 or 2. If you ran 2 widebands then the other could be connected to the other analog in. You can also use the other analog in for data logging boost if you set it up with 0-5V 3 bar map sensor.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
There's no such thing as a ground loop; it's either a good ground or a bad ground. A good ground has low resistance and thus no noise.

For a good ground, run it to the same ground lug that the PCM uses.

No, but there's a ground offset when dealing with widebands, tuners, laptops, and OBDII connections for datalogging. I'm pretty sure that's what Texas was talking about. The ground offset needs to be accounted for if you want accurate readings.

This is from Innovates website Click here for pictures

"Ground Offsets

A ground offset is a wiring problem that can change your air/fuel ratio readings, making them less accurate. This is a problem that should be tested for, minimized, and compensated for. What is a ground offset? Let’s say you have a positive wire that has 5 volts in it. That wire has to be grounded to complete the circuit. If you ground it to a really good ground (such as the engine block), it may not have any offsets. If the ground you chose is shared by other wires, perhaps with even more voltage in them, your 5v wire will have trouble passing through that ground. This can reduce the voltage in your wire, for example, from 1.6v down to 1.52v (a .08v ground offset). Not a big difference. But let’s plug that into our formula and see just how big it is. (1.52*3.008)+7.35 = 11.92. We should have 12.16, so our ground offset has changed the air/fuel ratio by .24. That’s almost a quarter point of inaccuracy, leading you to believe the motor is richer than it really is! This is why we need to test for ground offsets. Here’s how… Set up LM Programmer to put out 0v = 2.5, and 5v = 2.5. This will cause the LC-1 to send out 2.5 volts no matter what the air/fuel ratio is. You can use different voltages for this test if you want, but don’t use voltages near the end of the spectrum like 0v or 5v. When you’re done entering in the voltages, you have to hit the “Program” button to program the LC-1 or LM-1 to use these settings.

Now, data log the analog input in Live Link, but leave the formula set at just “V”. This will display just the voltage in the Analog 2 box.

While the reading will fluctuate ever so slightly, it should pretty much read 2.5 volts. If it does not, you’ve have ground offsets. The photo below shows that my Xcal 2 is reading 2.440 volts, even though I programmed it to send out 2.5 volts all the time. So my ground offset would be .06v. In my correction formula, I will have to add the missing .06v back in.

There will likely always be some ground offsets in a car, because the car’s OBDII port is grounded through the ECU. The ECU is grounded through the vehicles wiring harness, and eventually makes it’s way to the engine block. This long, commonly used path the ground has to take creates some ground offsets of it’s own. We can compensate for these offsets in our formula, but first let’s try to minimize them. The best way to minimize the offsets is by wiring the LC-1 correctly. First, the heater ground wire of the LC-1 is a fairly high current, so it should be grounded all by itself to the engine block. Next, the analog and system grounds should be connected together and grounded to a different spot. This new spot should not share use with any other grounds. And last, the Xcal 2 has an analog ground wire that is one of the three wires we’re using in the 9 pin mini-din cable. That ground wire should reference the same ground as the analog/system ground wires from the LC-1. So put them all to the same place. Now re-test for ground offsets and see where you are. Hopefully, you’ve gotten the offset down to around .02 volts or less. Whatever offset you have left, we need to compensate for it. Let’s say you put out 2.5v, but Live Link only shows 2.48v. Here’s what the correction formula should look like: ((V+.02)*3.008)+7.35. Remember, in a mathematical equation, whatever is inside the parenthesis happens first. So the V gets .02 added to it first, then it’s multiplied by 3.008, then 7.35 is added. So, our 2.48v example would have .02v added to it, bringing it back up to the 2.50v that it’s supposed to be. This ground offset should be tested for every once in a while, and any time you change the grounds on the car. For example, relocating the battery to the trunk, or fixing old corroded cables, etc. could change the offsets, and they should be re-tested.
The correction formula will always be ((V+GROUND_OFFSET)*RANGE)+LOW_END_OF_AFR.

There can actually be either negative or positive offsets, and you should add or subtract voltage accordingly. Most often, you’ll be adding missing voltage.

TIP: Once you come up with a compensated formula that is correct for your AFR range, write it down and keep it with your laptop so it’s there when you need it.

Tips and tricks

While some of this may sound a bit intimidating, it will become quite easy after you’ve done it a few times. There are a few things I want to mention again, to emphasize their significance. First off is correct wiring. Do it right the first time, and your life will be much easier. Keeping the analog and system grounds together with the Xcal’s Analog ground wire is important. And putting these three wires straight to the engine block as a ground is the best solution.

Second, testing for ground offsets is of major importance. If you skip this part, and end up with your engine air/fuel ratio being .2 or .3 off, it could be the difference between life and death on a nitrous or forced induction car. The bulk of these ground offsets will be cured simply by wiring the LC-1 correctly. What’s left of the offsets should be compensated for with the correction formula.

Third, understanding how the formula works will not only ensure that you are getting the right readings, but it will help you to better understand how the whole thing works. Take the time to read that section and work with the formulas until you fully understand it. You’ll be glad you did.

And last, I want to mention that I had to modify the 9 pin mini-din cable, where it plugged in to the Xcal 2. The rubber sheathing over the cable end would come into contact with the body of the Xcal 2 before the plug itself was fully inserted. This would cause the data link to come undone occasionally. The fix was to take a razor blade and carefully trim off about ¼” of sheathing. Different brands of cables will have different needs in this area. The cable mentioned above was not an SCT brand cable.

If you don’t like the looks of having a cable that is permanently attached to the LC-1, you can purchase a 9 pin female mini-din socket, wire it permanently to the LC-1, and install it in the car. Then, you don’t have to cut one end off of the SCT cable. You can simply plug the cable into the socket. This makes for a nice plug-and-play installation. The wires going from the back of the socket to the LC-1 should be made out of shielded cable like the 9 pin mini-din cable is. If shielded cable is not used, RF interference could skew the AFR readings."

Last edited:

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Yes, ground-offset is what I was referring to, differences that can occur in the ground distributions, and thanks for clearing that up...was partly distracted when typing the initial response.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A "ground offset" is caused by a higher-than-optimal impedance to ground. The current returning to ground in that case causes a voltage drop that Innovate is calling a "ground offset." This would be exacerbated by having multiple circuits sharing the same ground, since multiple circuits equates to more current and thus a higher voltage drop.

The best solution is to run a separate ground wire for each circuit directly to the engine block.

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Actually, to be more precise, the "engine block" might not be the most-common ground in these cars. But in general, a central, common point for all signal-grounds is the best location to connect directly to. The engine itself is not that point here, but instead, should be the PCM's ground (front of car by the headlights).
The engine ground is used by the starter and spark plugs, and maybe alternator, but not usually for any other electronic sensors; if you look, they all have a return signal wire to ensure a common ground is established where needed.

What is important is to use the same general geographically-located ground area for sensitive measurements. :beer:

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
A "ground offset" is caused by a higher-than-optimal impedance to ground. The current returning to ground in that case causes a voltage drop that Innovate is calling a "ground offset." This would be exacerbated by having multiple circuits sharing the same ground, since multiple circuits equates to more current and thus a higher voltage drop.

The best solution is to run a separate ground wire for each circuit directly to the engine block.

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

Did you bother to read the article?

EDIT - The article says NOT to ground everything together (not that you could anyway). Also, how are you going to ground your handheld tuner to the block? It's completely powered through the OBDII port. Now throw into the mix the high current wideband and it's ground. That's why the article says to set the wideband to only output 2.5V and see the the laptop/tuner reads. The difference in voltage is going to be you ground offset. There will always be one with this setup, the question is just how big is it?

FROM THE ARTICLE

"There will likely always be some ground offsets in a car, because the car’s OBDII port is grounded through the ECU. The ECU is grounded through the vehicles wiring harness, and eventually makes it’s way to the engine block. This long, commonly used path the ground has to take creates some ground offsets of it’s own. We can compensate for these offsets in our formula, but first let’s try to minimize them. The best way to minimize the offsets is by wiring the LC-1 correctly. First, the heater ground wire of the LC-1 is a fairly high current, so it should be grounded all by itself to the engine block. Next, the analog and system grounds should be connected together and grounded to a different spot. This new spot should not share use with any other grounds. And last, the Xcal 2 has an analog ground wire that is one of the three wires we’re using in the 9 pin mini-din cable. That ground wire should reference the same ground as the analog/system ground wires from the LC-1. So put them all to the same place. Now re-test for ground offsets and see where you are. Hopefully, you’ve gotten the offset down to around .02 volts or less. Whatever offset you have left, we need to compensate for it. "

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did you bother to read what I posted? I never said to ground everything together. I said to run a separate ground for each circuit. These difference in voltages ("ground offset") that you are referring to is caused by having too much current and too much impedance on a ground. The problem is that a ground wire is sized for a particular level of current (including the OBD-II port). If you start grounding more circuits to it, you will put more current on that ground wire and potentially have a greater voltage drop because of the (now) relatively high impedance of the original wire. The solution to that is to run a separate ground for each circuit.

If the OBD-II port doesn't have a good ground, you can supplement the ground by running a second bonding wire. The pinout and wiring for OBD-II is standardized and readily available online.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Did you bother to read what I posted? I never said to ground everything together. I said to run a separate ground for each circuit. These difference in voltages ("ground offset") that you are referring to is caused by having too much current and too much impedance on a ground. The problem is that a ground wire is sized for a particular level of current (including the OBD-II port). If you start grounding more circuits to it, you will put more current on that ground wire and potentially have a greater voltage drop because of the (now) relatively high impedance of the original wire. The solution to that is to run a separate ground for each circuit.

If the OBD-II port doesn't have a good ground, you can supplement the ground by running a second bonding wire. The pinout and wiring for OBD-II is standardized and readily available online.

I'm sure the OBDII ground is fine for just the OBDII system. It's when you add a plug in tuner and then a laptop for datalogging on top of adding a heated O2 sensor circuit you're going to have a ground offset. Also the article didn't say that everything needed it's own ground. It just states not to tie them all together but states the heated O2 should have it's own ground while the analog devices (handheld tunerr/LM1/LC1) should be grounded together.

The whole point is to test your ground offset if you want accurate reading. That's all I'm trying to convey.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the OBDII ground is fine for just the OBDII system. It's when you add a plug in tuner and then a laptop for datalogging on top of adding a heated O2 sensor circuit you're going to have a ground offset. Also the article didn't say that everything needed it's own ground. It just states not to tie them all together but states the heated O2 should have it's own ground while the analog devices (handheld tunerr/LM1/LC1) should be grounded together.

The whole point is to test your ground offset if you want accurate reading. That's all I'm trying to convey.

You're saying the exact same thing that I am. I'm just saying it in a more "technical" manner. You could theoretically remove that "offset" by having a better ground.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
You're saying the exact same thing that I am. I'm just saying it in a more "technical" manner. You could theoretically remove that "offset" by having a better ground.

"Theoretically", but unlikely.

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score

You start throwing tech terms in the mix...all bets are off.

LOL!

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Actually, yes, it is likely, because that "ground offset" voltage is caused by having too much impedance on the ground.

The term ground offset is the term used in the article but it would be better to say voltage differential because it's not just the negative leg that causes this differential. You can have the best proper grounds in the world but you'll still have a voltage differential because of the 12V+ side AND having mixed matched components. So yes even if you get the ground resistance to ZERO you'll still have a voltage differential.

My suggestion to the OP is to test for this differential and account for it while your suggestion is just to have the best grounds possible. I would rather take the extra 5-10 minutes to test this voltage differential and account for it in the formula than to spend a lot more time trying to re-engineer the wiring and hope there's no differential, meanwhile there will still be one.

I'm done beating a dead horse here.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
About to attach the 9pin din cable to the wideband wires so I can plug it in to my xcal 2 for datalogging.

I have the blue and white wires on the wideband and don't know which pins they connect to on the din cable. Anyone have any clue?

Also, do I need to ground the ground wire from the din cable too? or just from the wideband (wideband is already grounded and working etc).

Justin, sorry to clutter your thread. I do have real world experience and supporting data with this as I have wired my Innovate LM1 to my SCT livewire device. I took an old firewire cable that I already had and mated it with the 9 pin connector. I DID NOT add the extra ground from the 9 pin and only used the ground from the livewire device. I did it this way only because I actually tested my setup using the 2.5V method and my results were 2.48V. So my "ground offest" was only 0.02V. That's not a huge differential and if NOT accounted for it will only throw off your AFR around 0.1. Since I thought that was acceptable I left it as is and accounted for it in my formula. Without doing the test though you won't know how well you wired it and you won't be able to completely trust your AFR readings. Hope this info helps.

What brand wideband are you using?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back