convertible top issues

Oliver

Reaction score
Hi all!

My 06 convertible is suffering a Delamination of the rear window from the top.
Is there any type of adhesive or glue that can fix this short term or longer?
The rest of the top is in great condition.
If not, does anyone have a top for an 05 to 09 v6 in black? Best place to get a replacement?
Thanks !

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Only an upholstery pro can answer your question.

JimC

Reaction score
And they will probably tell you that the only fix is to replace the top. The window and top are installed as a single unit and the window is not separately replaceable as I recall. You may be able to glue it back together temporarily.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
And they will probably tell you that the only fix is to replace the top. The window and top are installed as a single unit and the window is not separately replaceable as I recall. You may be able to glue it back together temporarily.

Here is your answer. The issue is the glue gets beat up naturally from heat.

Cayuse1952

Reaction score
My '05 has the same issue. My top is watertight however it is definitely going to have to be replaced when I have he cash. But, after months of research, this is what I plan to do this weekend using flowable Silicone.
Alternately, I have also seen a similar repair vid on YouTube using Rhino glue. And last but not least, I also saw a "wiki" doing the same repair as the YouTube vid with flowable silicone only using this:
3M VHB Double Sided Tape Acrylic Foam Tape, Heavy Duty, Industrial Mounting Waterproof Tape, 16 FT Length, 0.99 Inch Width for LED Strip Lights, Car Decor, Home Decor and Office Décor https://a.co/d/1HuHKuj

Anyway, that's my info. I hope my research is helpful and useful.

JJDAG

forum member
Reaction score
I sell the 3m VHB tape it’s used to replace welds putting rv’s side panels together no screws no welds just tape. I’m sure it would work well but Beware of the cost it’s very expensive

LaserMan

Reaction score
Same thing happened to my 07 convertible. I followed some of the YouTube videos and used the 3M 08609 Window-Weld Super Fast Urethane, 3M Single Step primer (08681), and suction clamps (suck-n-clamps), all of which I bought on Amazon. (see YouTube video "Reglue convertible glass - 2005 Chrysler Crossfire" for the basic process). I did the repair 2 years ago and it's still perfect. Raised the roof slightly during the repair/curing process to reduce the tension on the roof fabric.

OldMuscle

Reaction score
It sounds like my ‘07 had the same issue & fix as LaserMan’s. By the time I actually started the repair, my rear window had all but come completely separated from the fabric. As you can see in the pics, I worked my way around the window (with my son helping) and used old paint 25D4CF33-0E4F-4891-B857-683169980557.jpeg 9D5E9042-D4ED-450F-AF76-2399CF94C89C.jpeg B8308FF1-9F5B-448E-BAC7-3BA9C167572A.jpeg sticks to spread the load at the glue seam. Not 100% perfect but really good and hasn’t changed a bit or come loose since I did it a year ago… As I recall, it was all pretty straightforward but I took extra care going around the corners and applying a consistent bead of glue.

6DF9BF54-EC26-486D-807F-C6CFE443B113.jpeg

OldMuscle

Reaction score
Here are current pics. It rained yesterday so you can see where the dirt has settled into the spots where I put the glue bead on too thick. The pics really magnify the rookie application but overall I’m pleased with the effort… not very noticeable when it’s clean and it was a pretty cheap fix. CD61FC47-363A-4014-ABF9-96E7118B196B.jpeg 76A7A90F-9D1C-4046-A5BA-049B10560239.jpeg

Spence340

Reaction score
OldMuscle, what was the glue that you actually used to achieve this result?

Darius J Padko

Reaction score
It sounds like my ‘07 had the same issue & fix as LaserMan’s. By the time I actually started the repair, my rear window had all but come completely separated from the fabric. As you can see in the pics, I worked my way around the window (with my son helping) and used old paint View attachment 83594 View attachment 83595 View attachment 83596 sticks to spread the load at the glue seam. Not 100% perfect but really good and hasn’t changed a bit or come loose since I did it a year ago… As I recall, it was all pretty straightforward but I took extra care going around the corners and applying a consistent bead of glue.

View attachment 83597

Nicely done. What glue did you use? What did you use to apply it with? Fast drying?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back