Convertible top on '05 has ragged edges. Suggestions?

Cayuse1952

Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought a 2005 S197 Convertible a few weeks back. I'm wanting to eventually bring it back to show-room, but for now, I am want to just get it in pretty good condition while I continue to drive it. The top is overall in fair condition -no leaks, etc - however, the piping around the edges is ragged and seems like it is dried out. (see attached pics). Any suggestions short of replacing the whole top right away?
IMG_20220205_162116__01__01.jpg IMG_20220205_162122__01__01.jpg IMG_20220205_162116__01__01.jpg IMG_20220205_162122__01__01.jpg IMG_20220205_162136__01__01.jpg

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
First thought = the all-encompassing fix-all would be duck tape, but you know how that would look (probably worse). Take it to a shop f/ estimates (fix & replace) to see difference in cost. Might be best to drive, save f/ replacement & then replace.

Cayuse1952

Reaction score
Excellent idea. Never crossed my mind that a shop might could repair. I just thought they would be repair only. Thanks, Iceman62, much appreciated.

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
My 2008 GT/CS had similar issues. Like yours overall looked good and didn't leak. So, I trimmed up the edges because my top is black used a permanent black ink marker. Yours looks grey?, not sure what you could use for touch up.
Unfortunately, that is a characteristic of the Mustang convertible tops.

Cayuse1952

Reaction score
Sorry for the lag. I've been busy with work, upcoming hand surgery, and trying to address the minor things on my 'stang. I've got the drains in the back cleared that leaks into the backseat, then sucked all the water out of the voids under the seat, water vac'd (again and again) and put the seat out to drain for a few days, water vac'd *again* and yet even again then put the seat in the sun for another couple days and then into the basement under a dehumidifier. Thank gosh for the heads up in this forum about the drains or I doubt I would ever have know to look for it. Never had that happen in the '07 convertible I owned.
Long winded. Sorry. Typical woman. So thanks for the suggestion. My top is camel colored. Didn't think about permanent marker. I was thinking a length of twill vinyl and using like a clear caulk to attach/wrap the edges. Maybe.

Spence340

Reaction score
My black top had some white showing on the edges and I sprayed some flat black paint into a container and carefully painted over the white worn off areas with a small hobby brush. It made a huge difference for a 10 minute job. Magic marker works but it looks to shiny on an old faded top so the touched up spots stand out while the flat black blends in perfectly.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back