Corbeau seat brackets - options for raising seat height?

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I did a little searching and found references to some folks (like me) that find the ride height in aftermarket seats like Corbeau a bit wanting and need a bit more height than the Corbeau seat bracket provides. I used to be 5' 10" but age has me down to just under 5' 9"! References to washers doesn't seem safe (I'd think an accident would snap the bolts even at modest speeds) but again there were several references to raising the height a bit (up to 1.5") by experienced HPDE drivers. So I'd think there is some guidance that can be provided that is providing a safe seat mount. I was thinking a machine shop could take some half or three quarter inch steel and make a one piece shim for each side of the seat bracket (with holes, of course, for bolts)? Anything to purchase? I can't find reasonably priced aftermarket reclining seats (like $1000 or less with brackets) that offer ride height adjustments.

Thanks in advance for suggestions...

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Some short pieces of heavy gauge 1.5" square tubing with appropriate length 7/16" diameter grade 8 bolts should be more than adequate.

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think about an inch. As I recall on my original install, I also used the Corbeau slide extender (for tall guys, or if reversed, gives closer access to pedals, part#EXT4) which added a half inch, which wasn't quite enough, so the 1" tubing should be enough. I just got back from home depot and found their square steel tubing supply, and when the seats arrive, start doing measurements, buy the steel, saw and drill bit, and measure for the right bolts. Just a bit of effort--great idea, thanks so much!

P.S. I never did get the idiot light for the side airbag to go away in the first install despite following the directions here to a tee--even a Ford tech back then couldn't help. Now I'm hearing the yellow resisters you get from Ford to fool the airbag don't work and never will. So that will be another one to figure out once the seats, harness bar and harness are back in...

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Wow, I'm 6.0 even, well with age probably a little less, but I can't get mine low enough. Ended up doing away with all the sliders and customizing everything to get it down. Otherwise my helmet was hitting the roof.

Sent from iPhone

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I called Corbeau about seat height, indicating some sort of kit would probably be welcome. To my surprise I found out they make a 1" spacer kit just for this purpose. You have to buy bolts and all, but heck, for $15 seat that saves having to buy the steel tubing and measuring/cutting/drilling. I'll let you know how that goes.

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Catalogue number please

This is what was on the emailed invoice:

QTY PART # DESCRIPTION PRICE NET
2 1-SPCR 1" Seat Spacer (Set of 4) $15.00 $30.00

If you google it, nothing comes up at all. I'll post install pics and all that...

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
which seats did you do with and how much lower then stock seats did you find the swap resulted in, I am having my head pinned against the roof with a helmet (only 5,11 but have a taller upper body and short legs so I sit like a tall person)

Please also follow up with any info you can regarding getting the light to go off etc as I have side airbags as well

2011/5.0

Reaction score
The heights really very from seat to seat on the base height,I bought the rrb seats which are very low .I put a 1/2 spacer on mine but still to low at times

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I'm 6.2 1/2 and have the Corbeau A4 seats. I called Corbeau before purchasing them and was told for tall guys the A4s are the best option. Even with my helmet on I don't hit the ceiling. I'm very happy with them. Really nice seats.

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
which seats did you do with and how much lower then stock seats did you find the swap resulted in, I am having my head pinned against the roof with a helmet (only 5,11 but have a taller upper body and short legs so I sit like a tall person)

Please also follow up with any info you can regarding getting the light to go off etc as I have side airbags as well

I went with LG1s.

I'm likely to pull the seats this weekend assuming the risers show up and will try to measure before and after and compare to the stock power seat on the driver side (I completely disassembled the passenger seat to get to the bladder so no measurements for now).

The damn side airbag terminators are back ordered so I can't write that up until they get here. Note that the early S197s require a terminator rated at 2 or 3 ohms (I'll have to look it up) and sometimes you have to go through several before it all works. I've read where some folks actually dig it out of the plastic and solder in the correct resistor...

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is what was on the emailed invoice:

QTY PART # DESCRIPTION PRICE NET
2 1-SPCR 1" Seat Spacer (Set of 4) $15.00 $30.00

If you google it, nothing comes up at all. I'll post install pics and all that...

I know...old thread, but search works. Corbeau is still carrying these and the same price if anyone is looking. Just orders some Trailcats after my LG1s have worn down and getting the spacers as well.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
I know...old thread, but search works. Corbeau is still carrying these and the same price if anyone is looking. Just orders some Trailcats after my LG1s have worn down and getting the spacers as well.

I wonder if this will also help with another problem . . . when you pull up on the slider lever and slide the seat backwards, you smash your fingers between the lever and the seat bracket as you get to the rear-most position. Hurts like a mother!

Do the spacers raise the seat up 1" on top the brackets, or do the spacers lift the brackets 1" off the floor?

Last edited:

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Raises the seat 1" on top of the brackets.

Ordered some.

Related but different . . . anyone know what size the front bolts are on our seats that hold them to the floor? Can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I was going to say I bought spacers with my Corbeaus but it looks like you found that out already. I did notice that I really didn't need the spacers as my Corbeaus sit higher than the stock seat. I'm 5'5 and think I could have done without them but they're in. I believe I have the LG1's but it's been a long time since I got them.

On a side note I wanted to run a booster seat for my boy up front and they said that it would probably be fine but as they were not designed with that in mind that they would not recommend it. Since they are only sold in pairs I had to buy two seats. The guy sold me a desk chair base that attach to their seats and I have the coolest office chair right now.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back