Corbeau seat brackets - options for raising seat height?

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
I got the spacers today. They are in now and what I want, but I was actually disappointed . . . for a company that has such a great reputation, Corbeau cut corners here.

The spacers themselves are fine. However, they sent new hardware, since the original slider-to-bracket bolts won't be long enough with the spacers in place. But, the original bolts with the seats were M8 8.8 bolts. They sent smaller, Grade 5 bolts. That was a problem for a few reasons . . . the smaller bolts made for play since the pre-drilled holes are larger. Secondly, I was not comfortable with the smaller bolts for safety's sake; I realize that Grade 5 is the U.S. equivalent of 8.8 (and that's what rating the OEM bolts have that hold the seat to the floor), but the smaller size concerned me. Last, the new, smaller bolts were hex head instead of the allen head/button cap bolts that came with the seats -- a problem because you can't get a 11mm socket onto the new bolts because they are recessed in the sliders. Obviously, with the old bolts, an allen wrench went in the slider just fine.

In the end, after paying $41 with shipping for the two kits, I had to stop what I was doing, go to Lowes, and pay $17 for eight Grade 8 hardened allen head bolts and the accompanying lock nuts.

All's well that ends well, I guess. The seats are back in, I'm confident in the safety of the bolts, and the one inch spacers do what I wanted them to do -- raise me up and create enough space so that my fingers don't get pinched between the slider handle and the mounting bracket when I slide the seat back.

But, it should have been much easier (and cheaper).

Last edited:

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I got hardware as well but it wasn't for the spacers, not sure what it was for. Bag of skinny hex bolts, washers and nuts. When I ordered the spacers they told me I'd have to get the longer bolts myself as they don't provide them. I do agree, they should provide the bolts if they're going to sell the spacers, but guessing they don't sell many of them as it's not even on their website.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
I got hardware as well but it wasn't for the spacers, not sure what it was for. Bag of skinny hex bolts, washers and nuts. When I ordered the spacers they told me I'd have to get the longer bolts myself as they don't provide them. I do agree, they should provide the bolts if they're going to sell the spacers, but guessing they don't sell many of them as it's not even on their website.

When I called, the first guy said I would need to get them myself. I had to call back, and the second guy said hardware is included . . . so I naturally assumed those skinny bolts where what he meant.

Nothing for nothing, I learned something about bolts here. Corbeau sends metric grade 8.8 with the seats, and then those skinny bolts that came with the spacers are U.S. Grade 5, which is equivalent to the 8.8. So, at least they were consistent there. The OEM bolts that hold the whole seat to the floor are M10x1.5 x 27mm and are 8.8. So, same strength rating but obviously larger.

By using Grade 8 today, I actually stepped up the strength . . . it's equivalent to metric 10.9.

Nonetheless, the Grade 8 bolts I used are to hold the sliders to the brackets. The bolts holding the sliders to the seats are still the original M8 8.8. I am kind of surprised they don't use 10.9 for a racing seat. I know the OEM is 8.8, but that's a larger bolt (M10).

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back