correct kellogg crank?

v6tungsten

forum member
Reaction score
I purchased a crank that was listed as a stroker crank 4.6l-5.0l for my 2006 mustang. I think it was a great deal at $515 for a new forged crank.

it has stamping KC B07012 521 with 3.800 below that. is that correct crank?

Last edited:

Saleen304

forum member
Reaction score
Is it B07012, not B07102? That appears to be the right one. It uses the 3.8 stroke vs the more popular 3.75.

v6tungsten

forum member
Reaction score
Is it B07012, not B07102? That appears to be the right one. It uses the 3.8 stroke vs the more popular 3.75.

correct my typing is terrible it is B07012 521 .

Also box has a factory kc box with a red/pink label part number AA3800x56E1 on it

Attachments

• 20150826_153020.jpg
    20150826_153020.jpg
    462.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20150826_160604.jpg
    20150826_160604.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Saleen304

forum member
Reaction score
This is my stroker crank.
3a1a2f549492487a7fda7728f813841c.jpg

Saleen304

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know for sure. I was thinking it was a serial number or lot number.

v6tungsten

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know for sure. I was thinking it was a serial number or lot number.

Think I figured it out its added for a serial number.
Just glad I finally found a new one...only cost $515 as I don't think the seller knew prices had gone up

Attachments

• 20150826_161127.jpg
    20150826_161127.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Keep in mind the 3.800 Stroker crank requires a custom piston vs the 3.750 crank does not. Just pointing it out.

v6tungsten

forum member
Reaction score
Keep in mind the 3.800 Stroker crank requires a custom piston vs the 3.750 crank does not. Just pointing it out.

yea I know. I was just looking for a 3.75 or 8.00 crank for a future build. still not sure if i'm going oem aluminum block or Boss big bore block.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
yea I know. I was just looking for a 3.75 or 8.00 crank for a future build. still not sure if i'm going oem aluminum block or Boss big bore block.

Ya, tough call. I'm on the fence there too. I was dead set on doing the Boss block, but people have rattled my cage about it lately with their fear-mongering over the main caps. BruceH made nice gains with his Boss motor and didn't have any issues that he spoke of. I'm not after huge numbers, but I want a built motor to be stout. I certainly don't want the mains to be the weak link. But I'm looking into that issue still, there are solutions.

That 3.800 crank is gonna cost more to make work in either block application. If you don't mind it, it should make some good cubes (301 CID in a 4.6 block depending on piston bore). Look forward to reading your future build!

Saleen304

forum member
Reaction score
Ya, tough call. I'm on the fence there too. I was dead set on doing the Boss block, but people have rattled my cage about it lately with their fear-mongering over the main caps. BruceH made nice gains with his Boss motor and didn't have any issues that he spoke of. I'm not after huge numbers, but I want a built motor to be stout. I certainly don't want the mains to be the weak link. But I'm looking into that issue still, there are solutions.

That 3.800 crank is gonna cost more to make work in either block application. If you don't mind it, it should make some good cubes (301 CID in a 4.6 block depending on piston bore). Look forward to reading your future build!

I don't see why it would cost more with the 3.8. You can get custom pistons made for the same price as off the shelf. You just have to wait longer. JE and Wiseco are both only 2-3 week lead time. CP is 3-4 weeks. MMR stocks 3.8 Manleys.

v6tungsten

forum member
Reaction score

Im just looking for around 650-700rwhp max. might go with department of boost 450 kit with a 2013 tvs2.3 to get there.

I don't see why it would cost more with the 3.8. You can get custom pistons made for the same price as off the shelf. You just have to wait longer. JE and Wiseco are both only 2-3 week lead time. CP is 3-4 weeks. MMR stocks 3.8 Manleys.

Good to know..im not in hurry as really don't want to spend all that money if the current engine is still working.

Saleen304

forum member
Reaction score
Or find someone selling a set of Saleen CP pistons. They are 3.8, but need a 0.002" overbore.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score

I built a 3.800 Stroker 4.6 a few years ago for a friend and his Roush 427R. CP (at the time) was the one who made the pistons specifically for the 3.800 Stroker Saleen (Boss 302). They came in a 10.5:1 CR and 9.0:1 CR if I remember. They didn't cost any more than a set of Manley's for a 281. But they were the last of their shelf pistons, as Saleen no longer produced the Boss 302, CP stopped making them. I asked about doing a different CR and they said they'd have to make the pistons, and it would cost $1200 for the set. I called Manley and they quoted roughly the same.

I don't know what you're used to paying for pistons, but I find them off the shelf for $630-$750.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just telling you at the time, that's what I was quoted for a set of custom pistons. I just wanted a CR adjustment.

v6tungsten

forum member
Reaction score
How should I store it? will it rust if left in the garage? might be a year or two before I need to build the engine.

Saleen304

forum member
Reaction score
I built a 3.800 Stroker 4.6 a few years ago for a friend and his Roush 427R. CP (at the time) was the one who made the pistons specifically for the 3.800 Stroker Saleen (Boss 302). They came in a 10.5:1 CR and 9.0:1 CR if I remember. They didn't cost any more than a set of Manley's for a 281. But they were the last of their shelf pistons, as Saleen no longer produced the Boss 302, CP stopped making them. I asked about doing a different CR and they said they'd have to make the pistons, and it would cost $1200 for the set. I called Manley and they quoted roughly the same.

I don't know what you're used to paying for pistons, but I find them off the shelf for $630-$750.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just telling you at the time, that's what I was quoted for a set of custom pistons. I just wanted a CR adjustment.

Good points. CPs are about $1200 for custom pistons. JE are about $800. I think you can get the Manleys from MMR for $699.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
How should I store it? will it rust if left in the garage? might be a year or two before I need to build the engine.

That's a toughy. I had a set of cams I left stored for about 8 months standing wrapped in plastic. I finally decided to sell them, and when I took them out of their bags for pics, I found they had little surface rust spots on them everywhere. I can only assume there was condensation built up in the bags. In hindsight, I wish I had soaked them in bearing lube, and then bagged them. I'm still buffing off the surface rust. The metal itself doesn't seem to be damaged or pitted, but I don't think I would have the balls to sell them on this forum. Probably be a craigslist special.

The important thing is to store it in a cool, dry place. I don't see why you couldn't throw it in a box and stuff it with old newpaper or packing paper. Maybe throw in some of those moisture absorb packets from a UPS store or something for good measure.

Also, make sure the crank is stored standing on the flywheel end. May be ritual myth, but I've read and been told if you leave crankshafts laying flat for long periods, they will actually warp under their own weight. The best practice is to stand them on end or suspend them from their top counterweight (crankshaft storage hook, most machine shops have these). Obviously if you stand it on end, you'll want to make sure it's in a place where it won't be knocked over or have the potential to fall over at all.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
I am using a 3.800 Kellogg in my current big bore stroker build. I bought my pistons off the shelf from MMR. They are Manley pistons MMR just puts their name on them to feel special. Cost right at $7** shipped iirc. You can also call modmaxracing.com and they can do a custom diamond piston for the same cost as the shelf diamond pistons. Here are a few pics of my pistons and setup.

Here is one more picture of my pistons. My MMR by Manley are the lower and the one on the rod are the forged pistons that came with the rotating assembly when I bought it. I bought the RA used with one bad pistons and can't remember what brand they were anymore, but the skirt thickness is definetly thicker on my new pistons

Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Where you able to find any 3.75 stroke cranks on your search?

I ordered a Lunati Signature Series two days ago and received an E mail this am that the don't offer it anymore and then a later Email that they ft not even have it in there Voodoo Series either. No 3.75 stroke for the 4.6. I have rods and pistons for a 3.75 stroke already.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back