Cortex Torque Arm Racechrono Track Review

barbaro

forum member
Reaction score
Barbaro- I just read back over your first post. The one thing that caught me is that you say your gonna give your review/impressions on a few things and list a few, but one thing you talked about that wasn't on your review list was the torsen rearend. Was the torsen installed with the other mods? Or have you driven with the torsen before your recent track day with all the other cortex mods ? I ask because the torsen can give you better corner exit traction which might interfere with your opinions of recent mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I put the Torsen in when I built the engine over a year ago. With the torque arm I notice the Torsen a lot less. Because I am getting better rear end traction I have to push the car more for it to engage. I feel it more on the track then on the street unless I purposefully get the car sideways which as we all know I would never do on the street:crazy:. So for instance when I used to take a turn at 55, the rear end would step out and then the Torsen would engage and straighten me out. Now if I take the same turn at 65, the rear end does not step out. After the Torque arm I take the turn at 70 and the rear end will step out only a little bit and thus the Torsen engages momentarily. A gutsier driver would make better use of it than me I am sure. Between the torque arm, watts link and the Torsen I have a lot of rear end control and I have not yet explored the limit of that because at this point to be honest I am afraid to unless I am at the track and have a lot of road to work with. I can still break the rear end lose on slow corners with a little throttle and then I will feel it but that is playtime, not performance driving.

Last edited:

55R2014

Reaction score
Barbaro,
Can you share your wheel and tire combo specs?

L

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
I put the Torsen in when I built the engine over a year ago. With the torque arm I notice the Torsen a lot less. Because I am getting better rear end traction I have to push the car more for it to engage. I feel it more on the track then on the street unless I purposefully get the car sideways which as we all know I would never do on the street:crazy:. So for instance when I used to take a turn at 55, the rear end would step out and then the Torsen would engage and straighten me out. Now if I take the same turn at 65, the rear end does not step out. After the Torque arm I take the turn at 70 and the rear end will step out only a little bit and thus the Torsen engages momentarily. A gutsier driver would make better use of it than me I am sure. Between the torque arm, watts link and the Torsen I have a lot of rear end control and I have not yet explored the limit of that because at this point to be honest I am afraid to unless I am at the track and have a lot of road to work with. I can still break the rear end lose on slow corners with a little throttle and then I will feel it but that is playtime, not performance driving.

I'm not convinced that the three link can't pull off the same lap times as a TA on, we'll say your car, if the UCA was set to deliver the same AS %. The one thing I am interested in is the "zero NVH" aspect of the TA. I would be willing to bet that the one UCA contributes the most NVH of any part in/on the car.

So the question is if you had an adj UCA set to 100% AS and a TA set to 100% AS, what would the difference be in lap times?

Did you replace the stock UCA or an aftermarket UCA when you put the TA on? If yes, details about the config.

Previously you mentioned that the car rolls less now. Couple things can effect that: spring rates, ride height changes affecting the RC height. Ride heigth affects the LCA angle (roll steer) and has an effect on the handling and feel. If you had a steep LCA angle AND over 100% AS then power on exit would get squirrelly. As power is applied, the rear would raise and increase the LCA angle even more (more roll steer) and it would get nasty. My car was like that at one point before I changed things.

I'm not trying to discredit you, but you make a good case for the TA and so far you have changed a LOT of shit on your car. Trying to sift through it.

So far I have no NVH for a pro for the TA. Better pinion angle control. I have no idea how big an impact that "pinion angle control" makes.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I'm no geometry or chassis expert,

<snip>
After I got home and did a little research, I discovered that in order to get the IC "correct", the chassis-side 3rd link mount needed to come up several inches.
Exactly where are you trying to put the IC, and why in the world would you put it anywhere behind the rear axle line?

I do know that the "no-hop" bars that have been sold (mainly to the GM drag racers) work with the UCAs - but they raise the axle side pivots. If that was in fact the wrong way to tweak the UCA inclination, those things would have Darwin'ed themselves out of the market decades ago even among those who don't even know how to spell "geometry". In side view, there is zero difference in the geometric constructions between the S197's 3-link and the Fox/SN95/GM triangulated 4-links.

pinion angle control. I have no idea how big an impact that "pinion angle control" makes.
Nor do I.

The dragstrip guys get pretty involved with pinion angle settings, but I've never read anything that presented a reason for PA control in that activity that would translate over to being beneficial for autocrossing or running on a road course. We're only talking about a couple degrees change under suspension motion plus maybe two or three more due to OE bushing compliance.

Maybe it's really a SVIC migration issue. The SVIC is certainly more stable with true TA geometry than with the S197's short UCA.

But I'm wondering about the extent to which this falls under driver preference, and whether picking up the throttle in a TA car hits the tires differently than a 3-linked car - at this point I'm inclined to think that UCA bushing compliance would make for a softer hit and be a little more forgiving. Any comparison should compare cars with LCAs having ends of comparable design.

Norm

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Maybe it's really a SVIC migration issue. The SVIC is certainly more stable with true TA geometry than with the S197's short UCA.

Norm

Bazinga.

You can put that down for a TA pro. I'm not certain, but I would imagine that's "a" reason why the 2011+ S197's went with a longer UCA. Maybe it's not the reason, but it's at least a benefit.

Last edited:

barbaro

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that the three link can't pull off the same lap times as a TA on, we'll say your car, if the UCA was set to deliver the same AS %. The one thing I am interested in is the "zero NVH" aspect of the TA. I would be willing to bet that the one UCA contributes the most NVH of any part in/on the car.

So the question is if you had an adj UCA set to 100% AS and a TA set to 100% AS, what would the difference be in lap times?

Did you replace the stock UCA or an aftermarket UCA when you put the TA on? If yes, details about the config.

Previously you mentioned that the car rolls less now. Couple things can effect that: spring rates, ride height changes affecting the RC height. Ride heigth affects the LCA angle (roll steer) and has an effect on the handling and feel. If you had a steep LCA angle AND over 100% AS then power on exit would get squirrelly. As power is applied, the rear would raise and increase the LCA angle even more (more roll steer) and it would get nasty. My car was like that at one point before I changed things.

I'm not trying to discredit you, but you make a good case for the TA and so far you have changed a LOT of shit on your car. Trying to sift through it.

So far I have no NVH for a pro for the TA. Better pinion angle control. I have no idea how big an impact that "pinion angle control" makes.

I put a lot of stuff on my car before the torque arm. Steeda sport springs, watts link, torsen, koni yellows etc . . . . The huge, undeniable, inarguable, improvement in handling came AFTER I put in the Cortex torque arm. As to lap times. Griggs proved what a properly set up torque arm can do on the track. And even if an aftermarket UCA could give you comparable or even better lap times it will also undeniably give you worse ride quality, while a torque arm improves your ride quality to the point that you think you are driving an independent suspension rear end but better than that. The torque arm is the centerpiece of a Cortex rear end grip package that includes a watts link and adjustable, heim jointed on one end, lower control arms.

The torque arm eliminates the dreaded up and down motion of the rear end that every critic of the Mustang has noted ad infinitum. With a torque arm you don't have to run stiff springs or coilovers that make you piss blood every time you hit an expansion joint. you could even run your stock springs and get better handling than just about any other combination out there. I now run Boss springs and my ride is nice and compliant. Torque arm also eliminates nose dive on braking and front end lift on acceleration.

The bottom line is you can waste a lot of time theorizing about how the torque arm is not what it is cracked up to be or you can drive one and then you will have your come to Jesus moment and you will say to yourself WTF was I talking about? You will be like Paul/Saul of Tarsus on the road to Damascus where he experienced the vision of Jesus. "He heard the voice asking, "Saul! Saul! Why are you persecuting me?" His companions saw the light, but did not understand the voice of him who was speaking to Saul. Saul asked, "Who are you, lord?", to which the voice replied, "I am Jesus, the one you are persecuting! Now get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do". From that experience he was blinded for three days and had to be led into Damascus by the hand. His sight was restored by Ananais. This extraordinary life-changing experience and revelation convinced Paul that God indeed had chosen Jesus to be the promised messiah. That is the Torque arm watts link experience in a nutshell. You are either blessed with understanding or you are not but the truth is that the road to the promise land requires you to experience the torque arm. Because it is a lot easier to believe in Jesus when you have seen him. Once the revelation is profoundly experienced, Jesus is God, otherwise he is just a Jewish guy with a beard. So just drive the package, because I have experienced both sides and my words can only go so far.

Barbaro,
Can you share your wheel and tire combo specs?

L
I have 19 inch Forgestars 19x9 on the front 19x10 on the back. They each weigh about 25 lbs which is 5-6lbs lighter than stock. The front has 255/40/19 Michelin Pilot Supersports the back has 285/40/19 Supersports. I like the extra sidewall in the back because it softens the ride and I notice and Terry Fair has also noticed that the higher sidewall heights make the car easier to drive then say a 275/35 package as the tire seems to break away more progressively. I also have Full Tilt Boogie Two Piece Street Rotors on the front and they too are a little over 5lbs lighter than stock. The front wheel package being some 22 lbs lighter than stock is noticeable especially with the negative camber I have dialed in. Turn in is quick. Lane changes are precise. I have in all, taken about 30 lbs off the front end and added about 50 lbs (Dynamat) to the back end and it has changed the weight distribution about 1%. The Cortex Watts link is 19.9 lbs which I believe is about 6 lbs' heavier than the panhard rod and brace . So that is a little more than you wanted but I think I answered the question

Last edited:

55R2014

Reaction score
I have 19 inch Forgestars 19x9 on the front 19x10 on the back. They each weigh about 25 lbs which is 5-6lbs lighter than stock. The front has 255/40/19 Michelin Pilot Supersports the back has 285/40/19 Supersports. I like the extra sidewall in the back because it softens the ride and I notice and Terry Fair has also noticed that the higher sidewall heights make the car easier to drive then say a 275/35 package as the tire seems to break away more progressively. I also have Full Tilt Boogie Two Piece Street Rotors on the front and they too are a little over 5lbs lighter than stock. The front wheel package being some 22 lbs lighter than stock is noticeable especially with the negative camber I have dialed in. Turn in is quick. Lane changes are precise. I have in all, taken about 30 lbs off the front end and added about 50 lbs (Dynamat) to the back end and it has changed the weight distribution about 1%. The Cortex Watts link is 19.9 lbs which I believe is about 6 lbs' heavier than the panhard rod and brace . So that is a little more than you wanted but I think I answered the question

Barbaro,
You have answered my previous questions and the questions I forgot to include….lol Thank you. I liked your biblical analogy of the torque arm. It made sense to me. For me, you were preaching to the choir…lol. My new 2014 GT just arrived at the dealership today and I will put a weeks worth of miles on it before it goes over to CorteX for all the suspension goodies that you have been preaching about.

barbaro

forum member
Reaction score
Barbaro,
You have answered my previous questions and the questions I forgot to include….lol Thank you. I liked your biblical analogy of the torque arm. It made sense to me. For me, you were preaching to the choir…lol. My new 2014 GT just arrived at the dealership today and I will put a weeks worth of miles on it before it goes over to CorteX for all the suspension goodies that you have been preaching about.

Good luck to you. I am excited for you. You will just flat out love it. Give a shout out to Filip for me. I will stop by their next month I think. I am from the Bay area originally and like to go up whenever I can

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Barbaro, I see a lot of superlatives, hyperboles, and weasel words in your posts, but very little sound engineering explanation as to why, exactly, the torque arm is the Second-Coming of Christ.

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
Sky, seriously, you're not going to get a sound explanation from him. This is a classic example of rationalization - evidence comes after the belief.

He's had an experience, and he's convinced he's found Jesus. That's pretty much the end of the story, but since rational folks have asked him, the rest is an attempt to make that belief sound like it has reason behind it. We've asked over and over and we get the same thing, really imprecise analogies, very loose correlations, and outright denials that any alternative accounts (or approaches) might hold merit.

I mean, I thought it was a joke when "evidence" was produced that "that guy over there ran a corner I couldn't and my buddy ran off track trying to do the same - must have been the torque arm!" This is the kind of schlock we're getting. Total garbage. No alternatives have been considered. Like, I dunno, that guy is a better driver, maybe? The other driver knows a thing or two about controlling balance through a corner? Or maybe his car has different equipment? Like better tires? Or maybe he has the same tires, but his have fewer heat cycles on them? He's running different pressures/split pressures? Or maybe he has exactly the same gear, but he's just dialed in his combo better than others (alignment, shock settings, hard mounting points/preloads, weight distribution)? Or maybe he's just more comfortable with his set up and can anticipate his car's behavior better? Nothing.

All we get is the classic: wow, that's fast, it must be XYZ that is causing it. And when he's been given such alternatives to consider, he just ignores them - flat out! "Yeah, I've considered all that, but I'm right." There's no attempt to think here, it's just proselytizing. The Jesus analogy is right on target.

There's no real understanding of what's going on, and yet we're asking the blind to lead us - many of whom are not so blind. Here's the one and only really good piece of advice we've been given so far: "drive one for yourself." For those of us who know how to do careful analysis and pursue the questions we may have, this is about our only hope to really understand the benefits of the TA for our cars.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Torque arm also eliminates nose dive on braking and front end lift on acceleration.
Please, please, please start writing this up in terms of pitch motion. Continuing to insist that the torque arm affects front suspension behavior - which those terms specifically apply to - makes it really difficult to accept the rest of what you want us all to apparently "take on faith".

Occurrence of your near-religious "ah-ha" moment aside, there still has to be technical reasoning behind it that will pass a halfway diligent engineering sanity check. I can assure you that understanding the theories behind this is not time wasted. If it was, there would be no basis for further fine-tuning, which even you should realize is an unrealistic expectation.

Understand that I am not trying to claim that any old slapped-together 3-link arrangement is necessarily better than a well thought out TA. With either setup, the details matter. No matter who or how many folks appreciate your analogy.

I really hope that the new participant here isn't simply a shill for moral support. You don't have to convince me that a TA can be a good solution. But you can't ever get me to accept that it's the best possible solution or even only a better one just on faith alone.

Norm

Last edited:

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Please, please, please start writing this up in terms of pitch motion. Continuing to insist that the torque arm affects front suspension behavior - which those terms specifically apply to - makes it really difficult to accept the rest of what you want us all to apparently "take on faith".

Occurrence of your near-religious "ah-ha" moment aside, there still has to be technical reasoning behind it that will pass a halfway diligent engineering sanity check. I can assure you that understanding the theories behind this is not time wasted. If it was, there would be no basis for further fine-tuning, which even you should realize is an unrealistic expectation.

Understand that I am not trying to claim that any old slapped-together 3-link arrangement is necessarily better than a well thought out TA. With either setup, the details matter. No matter who or how many folks appreciate your analogy.

I really hope that the new participant here isn't simply a shill for moral support. You don't have to convince me that a TA can be a good solution. But you can't ever get me to accept that it's the best possible solution or even only a better one just on faith alone.

Norm

This.

There are those among us who don't have the option or ability to take full advantage of a 3-link setup due to class rules who are paying attention to see if a more quantifiable explanation can be given. I'm not going to lie, I'm interested, very, very interested. Probably to the point where I'm tempted to buy one to add some quantifiable explanations in this thread.

I think that despite all the hooplah and faith based arguments this could quite possibly be the droid I'm looking for to maximize what the rear suspension can do on my car and still work around some wonky live axle rules but I'm having a hard time deciding if it really IS or if the only thing it is going to do is make my wallet lighter.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Barbaro, I think it's fair to say it's a tough crowd here. It's a fair crowd. The intimidation level for throwing the bullshit card is not high. I think everybody here would really like some solid proof to your claim as everybody here loves to mod their car and have a great driving experience. But this is truly just a "numbers" game. AS%, RC heigth, Camber, Wheel rates....they are all numbers. Mathmatically proven. Even if you don't chalkline your car and do all that jazz (I don't) you can still make a relevant point by changing one thing, driving consistent and having a stop watch. That takes all the "engineer" stuff out of the equation and moves straight to results. Then you might have to determine exactly what happened with the changes through all that "engineering talk", but those things can get worked through with help if there was enough drive to do it.

Not being a dick, though I usually am, but that's the skinny.

this could quite possibly be the droid I'm looking for

Haha, slippin' in a little Star Wars....nice job!

Last edited by a moderator:

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Haha, slippin' in a little Star Wars....nice job!

:naughty1:

The phrase is used heavily on another forum that I lurk on... I guess it is seeping into my postings on other forums. :p

barbaro

forum member
Reaction score
Barbaro, I see a lot of superlatives, hyperboles, and weasel words in your posts, but very little sound engineering explanation as to why, exactly, the torque arm is the Second-Coming of Christ.

Weasel words? Please define weasel words. Also define "sound engineering explanation" because I don't know what you mean by that. Also who is the judge of a "sound" engineering explanation? First, I am not an engineer and I don't need to be a chicken to tell you what an egg is. Do your own research. Better yet, drive a car that is so equipped. I have. And apparantly you have not, because if you did you would not make such an ignorant and incorrect statement.

I have given detailed explanations of the difference in handling between the car before and after. In fact, I could not be more detailed in my subjective evaluation. If you have no faith in my subjective evaluation so be it. But given the fact that I have modified several suspensions and have had a chance to drive these cars in all sorts of different permutations, I believe and assert that my subjective evaluation is worthwhile. In fact, more worthwhile than yours.The problem with your criticism is that it is not a legitimate criticism of my review it is a criticism of me. In short, I lack the qualifications in your not so humble opinion to have an opinion. It is entirely okay if you do not believe me. But your opinion is not more informed or better than mine. Of that I am 100% sure.

Norm
I am using plain language to describe the fact that nosedive is reduced on deceleration or braking. And also that front end pitch is reduced on acceleration. That is a fact. You can describe it any way you want, but that fact remains true. And your opinion is not as informed as mine despite your engineering degree or degrees becasue you have not had any personal experience with what I am talking about. This is old tech and has been proven on The racetrack and on the street. And there is plenty of info on it for those who care to look. As to new participants being shills, what evidence do you have to support such a libelous claim? is it only that he is in agreement with me and not with you?

Sky, seriously, you're not going to get a sound explanation from him. This is a classic example of rationalization - evidence comes after the belief.

He's had an experience, and he's convinced he's found Jesus. That's pretty much the end of the story, but since rational folks have asked him, the rest is an attempt to make that belief sound like it has reason behind it. We've asked over and over and we get the same thing, really imprecise analogies, very loose correlations, and outright denials that any alternative accounts (or approaches) might hold merit.

I mean, I thought it was a joke when "evidence" was produced that "that guy over there ran a corner I couldn't and my buddy ran off track trying to do the same - must have been the torque arm!" This is the kind of schlock we're getting. Total garbage. No alternatives have been considered. Like, I dunno, that guy is a better driver, maybe? The other driver knows a thing or two about controlling balance through a corner? Or maybe his car has different equipment? Like better tires? Or maybe he has the same tires, but his have fewer heat cycles on them? He's running different pressures/split pressures? Or maybe he has exactly the same gear, but he's just dialed in his combo better than others (alignment, shock settings, hard mounting points/preloads, weight distribution)? Or maybe he's just more comfortable with his set up and can anticipate his car's behavior better? Nothing.

All we get is the classic: wow, that's fast, it must be XYZ that is causing it. And when he's been given such alternatives to consider, he just ignores them - flat out! "Yeah, I've considered all that, but I'm right." There's no attempt to think here, it's just proselytizing. The Jesus analogy is right on target.

There's no real understanding of what's going on, and yet we're asking the blind to lead us - many of whom are not so blind. Here's the one and only really good piece of advice we've been given so far: "drive one for yourself." For those of us who know how to do careful analysis and pursue the questions we may have, this is about our only hope to really understand the benefits of the TA for our cars.

WTF are you talking about? I have considered all alternative explanations thoroughly. Read my posts carefully, becasue you have mischaracterized them and I am going to assume that you mischaracterization is a result of a lack of reading comprehension rather than some bad intent. I started out a skeptic as I always do. I have given detailed explanations of subjective experience and have invited all who care to take the time to drive such an equipped car. To drive my car in fact. I have also provided links for more information. How better would you like me to define my subjective experiences when it comes to ride quality for instance, or cornering precision.

If you want data then go somewhere else for that info I cannot give it to you. I cannot for instance tell you what the difference is on a grip pad or what the differences in lap times or any other objective data. But the difference really between you and me is that I have driven these vehicles equipped with stock UCA (several), Aftermarket UCA's (several) and with a a Cortex rear grip package. Have you? The answer is no you have not. So all you can do is opine about something which you do not have any knowledge about whether it be subjective or objective. Drive a car equipped as I have stated and then you and everyone else will shut your collective mouths and be embarrassed that you thought the earth was flat.

Also, do you have any objective data that contradicts what I have said? The difference is personal experience. That does not mean that I know everything or that I am a great driver or that Ferrari is going to hire me to design their next Formula One Car. I am very humble as to that, but your criticism is way out of line and reflects your ignorance of the topic. There is no substitute for experience. I have it. You do not. I invite you to get it. So when you are not freezing your ass off in Chicago, come to sunny Southern California and I will let you drive my car back to back with a car that does not have a torque arm rear grip package. That way we can have this discussion on more equal footing, because right now I am in a butt kicking contest with a one legged man. Believe it or not, I am just trying to help people out here. It is not like I make any money off of this. That is why even though you have made a blatantly personal criticism of me, (Essentially that I am a dumbshit incapable of supporting my opinion) I am still willing to let you drive my car which incidentally will be in a special edition of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords on June 18th.

Barbaro, I think it's fair to say it's a tough crowd here. It's a fair crowd. The intimidation level for throwing the bullshit card is not high. I think everybody here would really like some solid proof to your claim as everybody here loves to mod their car and have a great driving experience. But this is truly just a "numbers" game. AS%, RC heigth, Camber, Wheel rates....they are all numbers. Mathmatically proven. Even if you don't chalkline your car and do all that jazz (I don't) you can still make a relevant point by changing one thing, driving consistent and having a stop watch. That takes all the "engineer" stuff out of the equation and moves straight to results. Then you might have to determine exactly what happened with the changes through all that "engineering talk", but those things can get worked through with help if there was enough drive to do it.

Not being a dick, though I usually am, but that's the skinny.

I appreciate what you are saying, but understand that I did not put this on my car so I could wax poetic about it on the internet and back everything up with objective data. I truly did not expect the massive improvement because nothing else I have ever done has been so transformative. And with respect to many of the undeniably important subjective advantages brought about by the torque arm /Watts Link, it is the type of thing in which objective data is not really capable of assessing. Things like ride quality or driver confidence or steering feel. I suppose these things could be broken down mathematically by a multimillion dollar suspension tester such as is used by NASCAR, but I obviously do not have that capability. Nevertheless I knew what i was getting into when I posted this stuff because I know All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. Right now I am in the ridiculed violently opposed stage. I would back off if there was any doubt in my mind, but there simply isn't any.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I am using plain language to describe the fact that nosedive is reduced on deceleration or braking.
That's going to keep getting you misunderstood, and at best you'll continue to be under-estimated.. When you start talking about chassis dynamics in detail, you really need to use the correct (standard) terminology. Common slang is rarely precise enough.

And also that front end pitch is reduced on acceleration. That is a fact. You can describe it any way you want, but that fact remains true.
As long as you understand why, and don't try to assign it as being a magic property exclusive to torque arms and is totally missing from all 3-link, 4-link, and several other possible stick-axle rear suspension arrangements.

And your opinion is not as informed as mine despite your engineering degree or degrees becasue you have not had any personal experience with what I am talking about.
I may not have your direct experience with this particular collection of hardware in this particular chassis, but trust me, it follows the same sort of geometry and force analysis as any other "real" torque arm suspension. I have driven TA-equipped cars, remember.

This is old tech and has been proven on The racetrack and on the street. And there is plenty of info on it for those who care to look.
OK. How about posting just a little of this old tech for me? In your own words, please, because sometimes a new take on an old topic can still be enlightening. Believe it or not, I don't care where I learn something new from.

As to new participants being shills, what evidence do you have to support such a libelous claim? is it only that he is in agreement with me and not with you?
Let's just say it's highly unusual for a new participant to heartily endorse discussion of a technical topic presented in a religious context.

Barbaro,
As far as libelous claims go, suggesting a possibility does not qualify and there is no defamation going on. But since we're off on this tangent, didn't Shakespeare once write something about protesting too much?

I'm trying as hard as I can to remain patient here. But I think you're being way too sensitive, and seem to be technically in over your head. A very careful recollection of your driving observations, what was going on, what you were doing (in detail) without emotion and not biased in any nontechnical or distracting way, might still save this thread.

Norm

Last edited:

barbaro

forum member
Reaction score
I'm no geometry or chassis expert, but here's why I went from 3rd link to TA and why:

My '13 GT is the first street/track car I've had in 15 or so years. The last one was a '97 Camaro (torque arm / panhard). Since then, all my track toys have been trailer-only. I'm predisposed to liking torque arm cars and have a lot of laps in them, but I was eager to try out the 3rd link design. I figured it would be night and day better than the old triangulated 4link (and it is). The first thing I noticed about the 3rd link design is how short the upper arm is and (as a result) how wildly the pinion angle changes as the rear end moves through it's arc. On a dedicated race car with a zero-droop setup, this probably wouldn't matter much, but on a car that sees street time, it matters. My first (and only) track outing with the 3rd link was a little wild. I was used to cars that took a set and stayed planted. I found that while the Mustang was VERY capable out of the box, it would take a set, then "change it's mind" for lack of a better description, as the load on the rear changed. Now, I'm not talking about it just turning the tire under power, but getting odd and inconsistent rear-steer depending on how much or little the rear was compressed. Additionally, under braking, as the rear came up, the car would get very "darty." Again, much of this can be attributed to shock package and other factors, but i'll get to that. After I got home and did a little research, I discovered that in order to get the IC "correct", the chassis-side 3rd link mount needed to come up several inches. That'd be great, but "up several inches" is sitting in the back seat. There are people that make a mount that does this, but I didn't want to hack the floorpan on my new ride.

Enter the Torque Arm: As I admitted before, I'm predisposed to liking torque arms and, after a few discussions with friends of mine familiar with the s197 chassis, I decided to try the Cortex TA and Watts. I chose the Cortex unit because it seemed to be a cleaner installation than the Griggs unit and more tailored to the s197 chassis. The Griggs unit, IMHO, appeared to be a sn95 arm that had been adapted to fit the s197. The next time out at the track, I noticed significantly more predictability under transition throttle in both a straight line and under varying cornering loads. Additionally, the car handled turning with elevation and throttle changes much easier. Braking was also far more predictable. Some of this behavior (the cornering transitions in particular) should be credited to the watts link more than the torque arm, but they went on at the same time, so it is what it is.

Currently, I'm experimenting with spring rates on the set of Penske shocks and struts my brother and BIL were kind enough to hook me up with and unfortunately, waiting to decide what to do with a hurt axle in the rear end. Once the rear is fixed and back together I'll be back out with the latest shock/spring package and hopefully have more data.

Edit: In regards to the wheelbase issue mentioned earlier, you can easily change that with adjustable lower control arms. The torque arm floats in a spherical bearing at the front that does not restrict fore/aft movement or twist of the axle housing. Only pinion angle is controlled. (as it should be).

Is his subjective experience descriptive enough for y'all?

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
OT:

I'm always interested in screen-name choices.

Where did "Barbaro" come from?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back