Cranks but won't start after new battery install

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently had issues with my battery not charging. Tested it and came back with a bad cell. Replaced the battery and now cranks no problem but it won't start. Seems like it is not getting any fuel. The car ran fine this morning when I jumped it with the old battery. When I turn the key it hesitates slightly before the starter begins to crank... like a 1/2 second delay which it wasn't doing before.

I have another issue with my horn and fog lamps and perhaps it is reated. History: I replaced the grill and relocated the horn and fog lamps. Now they do not work. Not sure if it is related or not. When I connected the new battery I heard what I thought was a brief honk of the horn. They did not work with the old battery either

All fuses have been checked and all are good.

No engine mods except for a C&L CAI and tune.

Thanks

Last edited:

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Did you cut and splice any wiring or simply take the existing hardware and physically move it? Isnt there a fuel cutoff switch in the kick panel that can trip too?

Reload the tune also.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Did you cut and splice any wiring or simply take the existing hardware and physically move it? Isnt there a fuel cutoff switch in the kick panel that can trip too?

Reload the tune also.

I didn't have to cut any wires at all. Simply reconnected them.

I will do some digging about the fuel cutoff. Now that you mention it I do remember reading something about it. Thx.

I can't reload the tune as someone stole my tuner and I haven't got the cash to replace it yet. I'm hoping that it would at least try and start if the tune somehow got messed up.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
I hope your tune didn't corrupt when the battery died. Not sure how easy or possible this could be, but in your case it would suck. Here's hoping for the best!!:thumb2:

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
I hope your tune didn't corrupt when the battery died. Not sure how easy or possible this could be, but in your case it would suck. Here's hoping for the best!!:thumb2:

Ya, I gotta hope that is not what happened.

I checked the inertia switch and it was not tripped. Still no go.

I'm not sure I can hear the fuel pump. Also, the delay when I turn the key is strange.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
If you could borrow someones OBD II scanner and see if there is a code or something.

Wierd that all you did was unplug and plug the lights in and now they don't work. Ground issue sounds like it.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
If you could borrow someones OBD II scanner and see if there is a code or something.

Wierd that all you did was unplug and plug the lights in and now they don't work. Ground issue sounds like it.

At first I thought I forgot to connect them. Figured all I had to do was reconnect them. When I removed the rad cover, I could see that they were all connected. That is when I started checking fuses. Something is really odd that is for sure. It was just running and now nothing.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I would take the cables back off and reinstall. Sounds as simple as a bad ground. That is what my car did when the battery relocation was done and the ground was not secure.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
I would take the cables back off and reinstall. Sounds as simple as a bad ground. That is what my car did when the battery relocation was done and the ground was not secure.

Tried this with no luck.

The delay on starting is definitely a clue. Another clue is that when I close the door with the key in the ignition... the beeping continues for a second once the door is closed.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
What is a decent OBD II scanner that won't break the bank? also, do they reveal codes even when the CEL is not on?

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
...bump

anyone?? I am wondering whether or not a OBD II Scanner will reveal codes even when the CEL is not on and also if anyone knows why there would be a delay when turning on the ignition and trying to start and also a delay of the beeping when the door is closed.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that I should probably disconnect the battery for 24 hours so the ECM can reset... was that something I was just dreaming up?

Thanks

Last edited:

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Where's Todd or Bruce when ya need them? I wonder if a cam position sensor would make your car act like this? I had a Mustang that did this and when placed on a dealership computer, the oscillating frequencies revealed showed a defunct cam position sensor. Changed it and it started and ran like a champ for years till I sold it.

It also sounds like a ground issue.

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
...bump

anyone?? I am wondering whether or not a IBD II Scanner will reveal codes even when the CEL is not on and also if anyone knows why there would be a delay when turning on the ignition and trying to start and also a delay of the beeping when the door is closed.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that I should probably disconnect the battery for 24 hours so the ECM can reset... was that something I was just dreaming up?

Thanks

Try Scan Gauge II like $150.00 on amazon

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
Where's Todd or Bruce when ya need them? I wonder if a cam position sensor would make your car act like this? I had a Mustang that did this and when placed on a dealership computer, the oscillating frequencies revealed showed a defunct cam position sensor. Changed it and it started and ran like a champ for years till I sold it.

So thats why you dont drive the new one ? :lol2:

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score

It also sounds like a ground issue.

Thanks Ultra,

I read about the cam position sensor. This is something that I am hoping the scanner would be able to pick up on.

I think it is a ground issue as well. Just not sure where to begin. The battery is installed securely and has been reseated a few times now.

I guess I'm hoping that there is a scanner out there that will reveal what is going on.

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Got an advanced auto near by? They might let you borrow their scanner long enough to run home and scan and then run back. I've done it at mine before, they let me scan my own codes every since one of the employees asked me if a Lexus was a German car...

I have a Scan Gauge II, it'll read codes, and only around 100 from ebay.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Before I'd buy one, I'd go to Advance Auto and see if the guys there wouldn't let you put down a deposit and borrow theirs!!!! Then bring it back and get your money back.

EDIT: Treed by the Hatchman! Bummer! LOL

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
I'm in Canada so we don't have an Advance Auto here unfortunately. I can probably find a parts store that sells them though. I don't my buying it to keep though. Seems like a handy thing to have around in my shop. I've been reading up on it and it looks like an awesome scanner

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back